PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

xLogan108
03-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Ok, so I'm new to the detailing world. Just bought a new Focus ST and want it to be spotless. So this past weekend, I did a wash with Zymol wash, clayed the car with Mothers clay, polished with meguiars deep crystal polish, and then waxed with NXT 2.0. Now I know these aren't high end products but I do have great results. Now here's my question, I just found out about Collinite 845, and for me living in New Jersey, and my car being a daily driver, parked outside 24-7, I figured this would be a 100 times better for durability. I just did NXT with the rest of the process previously stated last Sunday, and I want to apply the Collinite 845 this Saturday. Since I already clayed the car, should I polish again, and then apply Collinite over everything, or do I just wash the car and apply Collinite 845 over the NXT? I'm a bit confused where to begin here, so hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

CM8 6MT
03-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Colly & NXT are both sealants. Naturally Collinite will outlast NXT, stick to one sealant.

Collinite will give you the protection you need. NXT does have a very slight cleaning ability, so It might remove some of the Collinite.

If you want both top protection & looks, go with Menzerna Power Lock.

AutoHeed
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Logan,

Welcome to the club! My personal suggestion is that NXT is a good product. Doesn't have to be high end and expensive IMHO, but certain products do stand out to others.

As for claying is already strip your wax, you can just apply colli 845 right away. Or if you wanna top it over NXT that is even better. If you feel there are swirls everywhere, light polish and wax should do it.

Now if it is a daily driven, it is acceptable to get defects Especially under sky 24/7. Colli 845 stands up to the reputation and should do the job well.

xLogan108
03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Colly & NXT are both sealants. Naturally Collinite will outlast NXT, stick to one sealant.

Collinite will give you the protection you need. NXT does have a very slight cleaning ability, so It might remove some of the Collinite.

If you want both top protection & looks, go with Menzerna Power Lock.
So should I just wash the car real good and then apply Collinite 845? Considering I've detailed it last weekend. Or should I take steps to prepare again, for Collinite this time?

xLogan108
03-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi Logan,

Welcome to the club! My personal suggestion is that NXT is a good product. Doesn't have to be high end and expensive IMHO, but certain products do stand out to others.

As for claying is already strip your wax, you can just apply colli 845 right away. Or if you wanna top it over NXT that is even better. If you feel there are swirls everywhere, light polish and wax should do it.

Now if it is a daily driven, it is acceptable to get defects Especially under sky 24/7. Colli 845 stands up to the reputation and should do the job well.
Thanks, can't wait to see how much I learn on this forum from everyone.

So considering I did clay and polish and NXT last weekend, I can just wash the car real good and apply Collinite to the car this weekend, over the 1 week old NXT?

CM8 6MT
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
So should I just wash the car real good and then apply Collinite 845? Considering I've detailed it last weekend. Or should I take steps to prepare again, for Collinite this time?

I agree with AutoHeed you dont need high end products, but you do need good product selection for what your trying to achieve. Skip the Crystal Polish, add something like Ultimate Polish. For a new car, it will remove light swirls and polish your paint to a high gloss finish. Of course, youll need a DA to maximize the potential of the polish.

As far as sealants, its best to just stick to 1. NXT is great, I use the pro version M21 all the time. If you want a product that lasts alot longer than M21 & NXT, still has the high gloss looks and available OTC, look into Ultimate Paste/or Liquid Wax.

xLogan108
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I agree with AutoHeed you dont need high end products, but you do need good product selection for what your trying to achieve. Skip the Crystal Polish, add something like Ultimate Polish. For a new car, it will remove light swirls and polish your paint to a high gloss finish. Of course, youll need a DA to maximize the potential of the polish.

As far as sealants, its best to just stick to 1. NXT is great, I use the pro version M21 all the time. If you want a product that lasts alot longer than M21 & NXT, still has the high gloss looks and available OTC, look into Ultimate Paste/or Liquid Wax.
i just bought Collinite haha. But I will stick to one sealant. And I have heard good stuff about Ultimate Polish. So how would you recommend I go about this, being I just clayed and everything last weekend? Wash and just apply the collinite over top of the week old NXT?

CM8 6MT
03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
i just bought Collinite haha. But I will stick to one sealant. And I have heard good stuff about Ultimate Polish. So how would you recommend I go about this, being I just clayed and everything last weekend? Wash and just apply the collinite over top of the week old NXT?

I would recommend you polish it first, with Ultimate Polish or any other fine polish. Just because its a new car does not mean its flawless. You will have minor swirls & scratches. Using a fine polish before you lay down a layer of sealant will give you a better finish.

Just note that NXT does have light cleaning abilities, so any light swirls or scratches are being masked. A fine polish will permanently remove those fine swirls & scratches. Also be aware that if you do end up using Ultimate Polish or any other fine polishing product, make sure you do an IPA wipe down to ensure all the polishing oils are removed, this way youll know for sure if the swirls are being removed and not masked.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, daily drivers are almost impossible to keep a "show car finish". The term "show car finish" is thrown loosely around here, and most people dont even know what a show car finish even consists of. Do your best to keep your paint defect free, using the least aggresive products if possible to remove as little paint as possible.

Below is an article I wrote using NXT, M21, M205/Ultimate Polish that might point you in the right direction:
www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html

xLogan108
03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I would recommend you polish it first, with Ultimate Polish or any other fine polish. Just because its a new car does not mean its flawless. You will have minor swirls & scratches. Using a fine polish before you lay down a layer of sealant will give you a better finish.

Just note that NXT does have light cleaning abilities, so any light swirls or scratches are being masked. A fine polish will permanently remove those fine swirls & scratches. Also be aware that if you do end up using Ultimate Polish or any other fine polishing product, make sure you do an IPA wipe down to ensure all the polishing oils are removed, this way youll know for sure if the swirls are being removed and not masked.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, daily drivers are almost impossible to keep a "show car finish". The term "show car finish" is thrown loosely around here, and most people dont even know what a show car finish even consists of. Do your best to keep your paint defect free, using the least aggresive products if possible to remove as little paint as possible.

Below is an article I wrote using NXT, M21, M205/Ultimate Polish that might point you in the right direction:
www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html)
Just so I can get this straight, haha, I should do a polish again, before I apply the Collinite. Even though last weekend I clayed, polished, and waxed.

CM8 6MT
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Just so I can get this straight, haha, I should do a polish again, before I apply the Collinite. Even though last weekend I clayed, polished, and waxed.

The only reason im recomending you to re-polish is because crystal polish does NOT have any abrasives in it. Its merely a "pure" polish in the sense that all it contains is oils to mask light defects. Its a very low end consumer line product. Jump up to the Ultimate line or the professional Mirror Glaze like if you want to see what Meguiar's has to offer.

With that said, Ultimate Polish will permanently remove light swirls, not mask them like Crystal Polish. Secondly, polishing will remove your existing LSP (in your case NXT), and leave you with a clean and polished surface for Collinite to adhere to.

dad07
03-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Ok, so I'm new to the detailing world. Just bought a new Focus ST and want it to be spotless. So this past weekend, I did a wash with Zymol wash, clayed the car with Mothers clay, polished with meguiars deep crystal polish, and then waxed with NXT 2.0. Now I know these aren't high end products but I do have great results. Now here's my question, I just found out about Collinite 845, and for me living in New Jersey, and my car being a daily driver, parked outside 24-7, I figured this would be a 100 times better for durability. I just did NXT with the rest of the process previously stated last Sunday, and I want to apply the Collinite 845 this Saturday. Since I already clayed the car, should I polish again, and then apply Collinite over everything, or do I just wash the car and apply Collinite 845 over the NXT? I'm a bit confused where to begin here, so hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

If your happy with how your car looks.....just apply 845 over what you have. I would however wash the car again.

Coli will give you some great durability.

Just remember when applying coli845 thin is in.

vegas911gts
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
I'd wait til its dirty to do it all over again unless you really want to do it now.