PDA

View Full Version : Fatherless youth and Detailing

Detailingtime
03-05-2013, 02:29 PM
I mentor 10 fatherless youth 12-16 (Very respectful boys just no dad around) and I want them to learn to detail but also teach them money skills,Hard work is not a bad 4 letter word,How to run a business,Give them some pocket change because their moms cant afford to barely keep food on table.I need some strong suggestions how to get them started and organize this.They have helped me detail before and have the IT factor for detailing well at least 4 of them do( They can polish paint) Rest i wouldnt put on paint YET.

HellaBroke
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Man... im not sure what to say to help you out... but I would like to say Thanks. There are so many kids growing up these days with zero work ethic and good morals and it definetly sounds like your helping 10 kids get on the right track. Shoot me a pm if you plan on ordering product by the gallon or if you pick up an extra machine I might be able to get some pads or Something sent your way. Military guy so my pockets are only so deep.

Where are you located?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

ryance39
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Thank you for what your doing, it's a great thing.

As far as a suggestion for help you may find better luck teaching them to clean other things as well as cars. Almost band them together as a cleaning crew. Detailing will teach them the meticulousness that they will need as well as patience but...
People tend to not want just anyone cleaning their cars but front and back yards may be different. That also could help build them into men that can help take the load off of their mothers. Just a thought. Best of luck!

sawblade
03-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Check with some non profits in your area (ARC, Goodwill, Salvation army) that have a fleet of vehicles and explain what your trying to accomplish. My experience is that most of the time they have some budget for car cleaning and would probably be estatic to have someone do it for them.

yakky
03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Great idea! My suggestion would be to work backwards from a final goal. Say a job at a dealership or other detailing shop. Then work on a plan to get them there. Teaching attainable goals is just as, if not more important than teaching them a trade.

cajundetail
03-07-2013, 05:59 AM
you are doing a wonderful thing for these boys!! this could actually change their lives forever..
As long as it helps one, your project is a total and complete success!!

Thank You for being a stand up guy!!

BobbyG
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Thank you for stepping up and helping these boys. You took an interest in them and it's something they'll always remember. :props:

cardaddy
03-08-2013, 01:05 PM
It's a great thing to be a mentor for young men that need direction. Just being there for them, lending an ear, help with a guiding hand, those are the things they'll remember.

There have been any number of good suggestions so far. The idea of helping a non-profit (whether their cars are fleet units or the people there are ALSO donating their time), is a great idea.

Habitat for Humanity always needs crews. Having the guys work as a 'team' is going to teach them skills they can use for the rest of their life.

Do remember, detailing as it is, concentrates a lot of people in a small place. Having more than 3~4 on a vehicle at once is going to get crowded at the very least. They also don't need to look at *any* job as something that is going to pay well, (certainly not $50~$100~$150 an hour) but something that they need to learn as a marketable skill.

The skills they learn now *are* the ones they'll be able to call upon many years into the future. Most importantly is by you giving of your time, hopefully they'll learn to give theirs. And after all.... that is when it truly does get "paid forward". ;)

tach18k
03-08-2013, 01:25 PM
One thing to consider doing. if you have a gas generator, take the boys or half of them to a junk yard. Practice detaing messed up car finishes and they can see what it takes to make it look better. You might be able to work on two cars at a time side by side. You cant hurt a car for the most part, and the cars are not going to complain.