PDA

View Full Version : Critique my shopping list

amoore311
03-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Hi there! I'm new to the forums, and to more in depth detailing.

I just picked up my dual orbital polisher from Harbor Freight. Can anyone give me any insight on my shopping list below? The products will mainly be used on an 07' True Red Miata that I daily drive, and my wifes Black 2013 Rogue.

The Miata has minor swirls and paint chips I want to repair/cover. The Rogue is brand new. I wash and detail both cars meticulously with the more commonly available products, but I have never used a machine or polish. I was using turtle wax Ice stuff I think.

Here's the order:

I have upgraded the backing plate for the Polisher ($17 Plate)

Dodo Juice 2 Pack - Banana Armor & Rainforest Rub

Meg's XMT 3 Pack - Swirl Remover 1, 2, & 3

(6) Pack of Meg's Buffer Pads - (3)Yellow, (3)Beige

Klasse AIO & Klasse High Gloss Sealant.

Free Sample of Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax

BOGO Microfiber Towels

amoore311
03-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm open to any/all suggestions in regards to changing products around. Like I said, I'm kind of bowing to your collective knowledge here to get me started haha.

jvs1991
03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
What size megs pads?

You may want to try lake country 5.5 in flat pads. Maybe 3 white 3 black and 2 red.

Also do you have clay bars?

vegas911gts
03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
iron x

swanicyouth
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi there! I'm new to the forums, and to more in depth detailing.

I just picked up my dual orbital polisher from Harbor Freight. Can anyone give me any insight on my shopping list below? The products will mainly be used on an 07' True Red Miata that I daily drive, and my wifes Black 2013 Rogue.

The Miata has minor swirls and paint chips I want to repair/cover. The Rogue is brand new. I wash and detail both cars meticulously with the more commonly available products, but I have never used a machine or polish. I was using turtle wax Ice stuff I think.

Here's the order:

I have upgraded the backing plate for the Polisher ($17 Plate)

Dodo Juice 2 Pack - Banana Armor & Rainforest Rub

Meg's XMT 3 Pack - Swirl Remover 1, 2, & 3

(6) Pack of Meg's Buffer Pads - (3)Yellow, (3)Beige

Klasse AIO & Klasse High Gloss Sealant.

Free Sample of Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax

BOGO Microfiber Towels

Assuming you have nothing: clay, waterless & rinseless wash, CarPro Eraser, wheel cleaner/brushes, trim dressing, grit guards, and pad cleaner solution.

You don't need BOTH Dodos - I would pick one and use the cash for other stuff (assuming your talking full size waxes). The difference is very slight, and $70 goes a long way towards essential products.

I would get Wolfgang or Optimum Polishes. If you using foam pads, make sure they are 5.5" - not sure is Meg's comes in that size. Also, make sure you are getting a 5" backing plate. Working with 5" pads and plate will be easier and more effective.

Microfiber pads may be an option for the older car. But you must have the brushes or compressed air to keep them clean. Foam is a bit more forgiving IMHO.

If your polishing, Klasse AIO probably is a waste.

It goes:

1. Wash
2. Decon (Iron X / this step may be optional)
3. Clay (or substitute)
4. Compound (if required)
5. Polish
6. Seal (optional)
7. Wax

Make sure you are keeping the car clean between all steps. LC Hydrotech pads come in 5.5" and are very good for hobbyist - they work well, just don't last forever.

amoore311
03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I am actually switching over to the Lake Country Pads 5.5". Forgot to mention that.

Claybar I have. Claybar, soap, mitts, etc. I have all that stuff. I am just not familiar or accustomed to the products and processes that are involved with the Dual Polisher.

I've also got no experience with "premium" waxes. I have just used the common Turtle Wax Ice type stuff.

My car is very clean, and has minimal swirl marks and scratches. Only the paint on the trunk and the quarter panels is original. Everything else is 1-2 years old.

My major problem is stone chips/road rash on the bumper hood and fenders. My car is like 1/2" off the ground at the frame rails, so it's a constant battle lol.

I've had good results with simple touch up paint, a tooth pick, and a steady hand. But I think I could get even better results with a recommended kit.

vegas911gts
03-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I am actually switching over to the Lake Country Pads 5.5". Forgot to mention that.

Claybar I have. Claybar, soap, mitts, etc. I have all that stuff. I am just not familiar or accustomed to the products and processes that are involved with the Dual Polisher.

I've also got no experience with "premium" waxes. I have just used the common Turtle Wax Ice type stuff.

My car is very clean, and has minimal swirl marks and scratches. Only the paint on the trunk and the quarter panels is original. Everything else is 1-2 years old.

My major problem is stone chips/road rash on the bumper hood and fenders. My car is like 1/2" off the ground at the frame rails, so it's a constant battle lol.

I've had good results with simple touch up paint, a tooth pick, and a steady hand. But I think I could get even better results with a recommended kit.

I'm glad that I went with a clear bra. It's not as shiny as pure paint, but I'd go nuts if I had chips in my front bumper and hood and I can't tell that I have a clear bra on until I get real close to the car. Or you could respray it and do a coating like opti coat.

amoore311
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
The clear bra is out for me. $750+ installed for my vehicle for the 3M bra.

For that price I'll deal with the rock chips. Like I said, I can do a good job with touch up paint. From 2' it looks perfect. I just think I can get that down to a 12" touch up with something professional. (Thoughts on this is appreciated as well.)

If you are driving that GTS, yeah I do not blame you one bit for going the extra mile on the clear bra haha.