PDA

View Full Version : Question - salt on carpets

Pages : [1] 2

CaneCharger
03-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Well, since this is my first winter in 13 years, I noticed the other day that both my wife's truck and my jeep there are some salt stains on the carpet. I was wondering if there is a special product or any tricks to cleaning this???

I even have slush mats down!

Audios S6
03-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Break loose as much heavy build-up as you can and remove. Pre-treat remaining with vinegar cut with lemon juice (just for the smell), lots of elbow grease with a brush, finish with carpet extractor.

spiralout462
03-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Weather Tech Digital Fit floor liners! FTW

BillE
03-05-2013, 08:46 AM
My trick is to keep the area wet and just keep sucking up the water/salt muck with a wet/dry (shop vac).

Bill

CaneCharger
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks everyone - moving to the North and really not realizing what it does to carpet!

oldmodman
03-05-2013, 03:50 PM
My trick is to keep the area wet and just keep sucking up the water/salt muck with a wet/dry (shop vac).

Bill

Same here. But the only salt I encounter is whatever gets tracked into the vehicle while at Bonneville.
I go over and over it with a shop vac. Then if it is a removable floor mat I take it out of the car and pressure wash. Installed carpet gets wash and extract, several times.

Dr_Pain
03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
French fries??????

:hungry:

BillE
03-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Bill

Seems I left out a sentence or two. Use of an 'extractor type' of carpet cleaner also works well. Ya just keep spraying and removing.

The one think you want to keep in mind is be sure the carpet is DRY before you close all the windows etc. It is surprising how quickly mildew can develop.

During the 'winter' I just keep it vacuumed well and come spring when you have all that nice sun is when you want to attack.

Good luck...

Bill

Evan.J
03-06-2013, 09:49 AM
I deal with the salt every year. One day I might learn and finally buy Weathertech mats. What I do is:

1. Remove as much of the plastic molding around the carpet area as possible.
2.Vaccumm the area to get as much loose particles picked up off the carpet.
3. Agitate the area with warm or hot water and Megs APC+. I used a stiff bristle brush and attack the area.
4. Suck up with a shop vac and repeat if I have to

BuckeyeR/T
03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Toss the Mopar slush mats. They don't cover enough side area. Pick up some Rugged Ridge or Husky liners. I have the Rugged Ridge on my Jeep WK2 Overland. Love them.
I had Weather tech in the past and was very unhappy with the fit.

Andr3wilson
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Salt Eraser is pretty much the easiest most effect thing I have tried

FishyX
03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
I agree with what others have said about a good set of liners. Been in Michigan my whole life and finally got a set of Huskys for my new ford Edge. They worked awesome this winter!!!!!! The Weathertechs are better looking but I got the Huskys for under 50 bones.

CaneCharger
03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Salt Eraser is pretty much the easiest most effect thing I have tried

What is that?

Eandras
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
The first thing i do,is agitate the area that has salt on it to loosen. Then vacuum until I get most of the salt out of the carpet. I will spray Folex carpet cleaner on the area and the agitate the area with a rush or terry cloth towel. After wetting the area with a little water I extra tv the solution out of the carpet using my little Bissell carpet extractor with warm water. Hot water will let the stain set. I will spray water on the carpet on one pass and vacuum to e
Get the water out of the carpet.

Once I finish I place a small electric heater in the vehicle to assist in drying. Literally in an hour the car is completely dry and the carpet is like new.

I use the weathertech liners as well. Need to get them for the other cars I own.

Ed

:autowash: :buffing:

arjo.reich
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm gonna get a reputation as the vinegar guy, however...

This is a little bit of kitchen chemistry however I'd recommend using water & vinegar at an 8:1 ratio.

Warm water can hold more dissolved solids than cold water and vinegar is great at dissolving minerals like salt without deionizing it. Because remember, when you remove the ionic bond between the sodium and chlorine, you make bleach... which is probably something you don't want on your car's carpet.

Just my two bits...

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA