PDA

View Full Version : 2 man team when starting business

thebamboo23
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
My friend said he wanted to start a detailing business. i (wrongly) assumed he was an average detailer.so i agreed to team up (i was gonna start a small side gig anyways, so no harm, right?) buuttt, he knows nothing about detailing. not even the most basic 2BWM.

my question is, should i take the time out to teach him evveryytthhing? i mean, business will be slow for at least 6-8 months. and on top of that, showing someone how to do everything properly will just feel like its a free ride for him.

i have spent countless hours/days reading threads, articles, websites, a notebook full of notes, etc.. and i been an on and off detailing my family and my car for about a year and half. and i think that is how a lot of people should/do begin.

so what are your guys take on this? teach him or tell him if i need help later on ill let him know?

he was asking me what the packages consist of, but even when i told him, its not like he knew the actual terms of what they were.

Feed back pleaseFeed back pleaseFeed back please

im all ears.. dont hold anything back :dblthumb2:

Pureshine
03-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok is he investing money into the business or just you? If both are investing money then yes train him the right way to do things especially paint correction. Its not a free ride if its makes the business successful and if you can trust him not leave after you train him.

Dr_Pain
03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm with Pureshine on this. :props:

If you trust the guy enough to go in business with him then you should be able to trust in delegating tasks to him without having to wonder if the guy knows what he is doing. The time spent on constant supervision of his work will be better time spent on teaching him. Best to break him in the right way, then to have a grunt at your service.

Now here comes the hard question:
1) Does he have the meticulousness and organizational skills of a detailer or is he just a hard worker willing to work. This may help you decide if your business plan includes him as a equal partner, investor, or worker.
2) Who is better at the business side of things (book keeping, scheduling, marketing/advertising, purchasing and inventory etc..) and who is better at the detailing side of things. In your business plan you will have to assign roles, and again this will decide if you are including him as an equal partner, investor or worker.
3) Who will be the most profitable "face" of the business? Will he be a better seller than you, and therefore better benefit the operation, or does that fall on you?.... and he is just that bump on a log in the background when a customer comes to deliver and pick up the car.

As you can see, there are a lot more than "lets start a business" involved in the equation.

Ben Franklin is credited with having said, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”

Please provide us with a little more insight in your business plan and I am sure that the AG community will rally to provide you with insights. Ultimately you make the decision. It is just better to have as many opinions and view points as you can

jhodges
03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Ok is he investing money into the business or just you? If both are investing money then yes train him the right way to do things especially paint correction. Its not a free ride if its makes the business successful and if you can trust him not leave after you train him.
:iagree:

Plus, put the agreement (everything) in writing so all understandings are written down and just in case for later on............., if you know what I mean. Both of you should sign off and/or go see a lawyer to draw up a formal agreement or maybe you can cover it with something from LegalZoom. Can't hurt.

Going into business with someone is kind of like getting married to them only better........... or worse............. or both.:eek:;)

Pureshine
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
:iagree:

Plus, put the agreement (everything) in writing so all understandings are written down and just in case for later on............., if you know what I mean. Both of you should sign off and/or go see a lawyer to draw up a formal agreement or maybe you can cover it with something from LegalZoom. Can't hurt.

Going into business with someone is kind of like getting married to them only better........... or worse............. or both.:eek:;)
I agree to this is a great idea to cover both your asses.

T3 AutoDetails
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
As far as you being afraid he might go somewhere else after training, If your willing to train him and your worried about him going someplace else or working for someone else. You can have him sign a "No Compete" form and he will not legally be allowed to do so for the alotted time on the agreement.

VP Mark
03-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Do NOT get into a business with someone who is not willing to make the same investment as you, financial or other.

You would be better off working by yourself until you get to the point where you can hire an employee, pay them less money, and train them from the ground up yourself.

arjo.reich
03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
What is this guy bringing to the table for you if he lacks the technical knowledge to competently to the work? If he's just supplying all the venture capital to survive the first year, let him be a silent partner with an equal stake.

If he wants you to teach him everything, pro-rate out a cost in terms of stakeholdership to make sure you maintain the majority.

If he's just a buddy and us only providing you the impetus to start a business, thank him for being your cheerleader and, maybe, hire him, but don't give him a stake because without risk - on his part - he won't invest enough of his heart when times are tough and he'll leave you in the lurch... probably to go start a business with his other buddy cutting lawns

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

thebamboo23
03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
great replies. still on a mixed feelings about this.

my main problem that bothers me is, if you want to start a business, then you should take the initiative to researching and learning how to do everything (not literally everything lol). What would happen if I didnt know everything? because so far, i did the the entire shopping list, organized the packages, still trying research the packages/prices, made up the business plan (with my big brothers help), and set small goals. and of course im constantly reading/watching videos on anything detail related to learn more.

he told me that once i completed the shopping list, that we should go over it together. but whats the point of me talking over it with him, if i have to explain every product/tool that i buy. its not like he would even be able to debate anything

So how would it go for this "business" if i didnt know anything either? thats the main reason im on the fence for the call. if im already holding everything on my back, what will the future look like? or just give him benefit of the doubt?

Dr_Pain
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
great replies. still on a mixed feelings about this.

my main problem that bothers me is, if you want to start a business, then you should take the initiative to researching and learning how to do everything (not literally everything lol). What would happen if I didnt know everything? because so far, i did the the entire shopping list, organized the packages, still trying research the packages/prices, made up the business plan (with my big brothers help), and set small goals. and of course im constantly reading/watching videos on anything detail related to learn more.

he told me that once i completed the shopping list, that we should go over it together. but whats the point of me talking over it with him, if i have to explain every product/tool that i buy. its not like he would even be able to debate anything

So how would it go for this "business" if i didnt know anything either? thats the main reason im on the fence for the call. if im already holding everything on my back, what will the future look like? or just give him benefit of the doubt?

If he is on standby waiting for you to be finished with the "shopping" list in the infancy of your business and have to depend on your own brother to come up with the business plan..... that should tell you enough about the relationship to make the call

RUN FOREST!!!!! RUN!!!!!

He does not need to know everything you do but should have some gumption and personal ambition to participate rather than riding your coat tails. If he is a good buddy, then get the business going and bring him in later as an employee if the business is growing. I think for the time being your brother would be a better partner :xyxthumbs:

arjo.reich
03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
The bottom line, for any partner situation, is that you should know - without a doubt - that the person is taking on at least as much risk and responsibility as you are when entering into the deal. Without that, then you are leaving yourself open to feelings of resentment and/or failure.

This is true for all situations from businesses to spouses. I think you already know the answer here and continuing to talk it out isn't going to make it sound an better.

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

thebamboo23
03-04-2013, 05:42 PM
@Dr pain= hahahaha nice one. and well, my bro has his done a lot of business plans for school classes and such. so he knew how to plan it out than i and anyone else could

@lucky joe= yeah, i think i do. i just like to be open minded and no bias towards a personal choice.. even though this is a 100% direct personal choice lol