PDA

View Full Version : Wash, wax, detail new RV

rockinrandall
03-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey Gang. I searched for this info but only found one unanswered post.
My Dad just bought a 2012 Jayco Melbourne motor home with the gel-coat smooth finish. My question is, can I use my regular arsenal of products or do I have to use products made specifically for gel-coat finishes? I have seen the marine/rv page on the autogeek site but seeing how this is the only rv in my rotation....
It looks pretty clean but there is a definite haze. I just want to make sure I don't do anything to hurt the finish.

Thanks!!

01chevys10zr2
03-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I used the Meguiars 3 part fiberglass restoration system with my porter cable 7424xp on an older hazy Scamp camper. It came out great! I would defiently use the products again on another fiberglass rv.

rockinrandall
03-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks chevy, I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort to get the specific products or not. I'm still not sure if the graphics are what's hazy or the body itself. He's bringing it over next week so I can get started. I'll try to post some pics and products used.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Jomax
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Meguiars marine grade products have oil in them. What you might see might not be what is really underneath the oil. Just a though

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

rustytruck
03-07-2013, 09:57 PM
If it is a 2012 it should be in pretty good shape. Yes you can use what you have on hand. I use an AIO when I do RV's. Once they get a few years old they start to oxidize. If you keep it waxed it should stay nice.

rockinrandall
03-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes, it is in very good shape. I just want to make sure I get the right product on it that won't hurt the gel coat or the graphics. I am relatively sure the haze is in the graphics. I was going to throw Meguiars M205 on it then a good coat of wax. I haven't figured out which wax.

Any suggestions?

It's a tan gel coat with a goldish-brown and burgundy graphic across it.

Jomax
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes, it is in very good shape. I just want to make sure I get the right product on it that won't hurt the gel coat or the graphics. I am relatively sure the haze is in the graphics. I was going to throw Meguiars M205 on it then a good coat of wax. I haven't figured out which wax.

Any suggestions?

It's a tan gel coat with a goldish-brown and burgundy graphic across it.

What part of the country do you live in?

Jomax
03-09-2013, 05:18 PM
If in the southern part of the country (hot) Duragloss 105/601 topped with collinite 845. If in the Northern country (cold), collinite 885 fleet wax.

sillybinaries
03-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I went back and forth on several products to use on my Evergreen RV. In the end I used advise from several members and utilized the following products.

1. Duragloss 501
2. Duragloss aqua wax
3. 303 on any vinyl graphics.

Over all the 34' rv took me about 12 hours to complete, it still shines incredibly.

rockinrandall
03-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey Jomax and sillybinaries. Yep, Southern here (Atlanta, GA). I'm ordering the Duragloss and the Collinite tomorrow. Pop is bringing it over next weekend and the fun begins. At least the inside doesn't need anything but a vacuum and a wipe down.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback from you guys and gals!

Jomax
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Hey Jomax and sillybinaries. Yep, Southern here (Atlanta, GA). I'm ordering the Duragloss and the Collinite tomorrow. Pop is bringing it over next weekend and the fun begins. At least the inside doesn't need anything but a vacuum and a wipe down.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback from you guys and gals!

I just ordered duragloss 105/601 and collinite 845. Will be putting duragloss105/601 first, then top with collinite 845. Will hopefully last the summer(trying not to wax in the high heat) being in Arizona.

davidc
03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Did my 5ver 10 months ago with 601/105. I have been covering it but so far so good. It still looks like the day I did it. When uncovered I have been using DG 932 rinsless and have used the 932 as a detailer. The 900 plus square feet of fiberglass was killing me every 3 to 4 months with oxidation and at 58 I did not look forward to cleaning it up all the time especially at 110 plus in Arizona. I will apply another layer within the next 2 months to help get thru the summer.

Dave

silverfox
03-11-2013, 07:29 PM
The Duragloss products mentioned here are in one word...fantastic.