PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to you pro detailers

runrun411
03-03-2013, 02:15 PM
For me it's a hobby that I really enjoy. From what I've been reding on the post, it's a living for a lot of people. When I read some of the stories from some of the pro detailers, I wince. All the stories about how clients try to pay next to nothing and expect a factory fresh car in about an hour or so. God bless you guys for all you have to put up with. Most of you likely started out as a hobby then decided to go into business. I guess this is when it becomes a little less enjoyable. Or maybe you simply love what you do for a living. Either way, it seems like you need the patience of a saint. I'm an office manager and understand what it's like to need to wipe noses sometimes (sometimes I'd like to spray their faces with some ONR). People just don't know that whatever you charge, your not charging enough.

LazyGhost
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Plus one to that! Im still getting my feet wet detailing my personal vehicles and I have learned so far that there is A LOT to learn and then theres A LOT of work that goes into it. "Speed" is a hurdle I have yet to achieve and my hats off to you guys who are efficient and fast. I dont know how you do it!

Not many moons ago I was one of those guys who thought $60 for a mediocre detail was a lot to pay. Thats how I ended up here. Now im broke and still dont have my cars detailed. lol! Im learning to love this hobby and have the dream of someday being efficient enough to make a nickel on the side doing it.

The only advice I can give a pro detailer at this point is that educating your customer as much as you can about the service you provide is critical to your success. Take pics as often as possible of 50/50's , before and afters, and while your evaluating there car explain the process that itll take to achieve your/their goals. Explain why your process is better than the wash @ wax place down the street that charges much less for there service. Id also recommend being ready and willing to do a test spot for those "ify" customers.

You guys rock!

Anthony@zerboautoworks
03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
(sometimes I'd like to spray their faces with some ONR). People just don't know that whatever you charge, your not charging enough.[/QUOTE]

So true

TH3M B0N3Z
03-03-2013, 04:43 PM
For me it's a hobby that I really enjoy. From what I've been reding on the post, it's a living for a lot of people. When I read some of the stories from some of the pro detailers, I wince. All the stories about how clients try to pay next to nothing and expect a factory fresh car in about an hour or so. God bless you guys for all you have to put up with. Most of you likely started out as a hobby then decided to go into business. I guess this is when it becomes a little less enjoyable. Or maybe you simply love what you do for a living. Either way, it seems like you need the patience of a saint. I'm an office manager and understand what it's like to need to wipe noses sometimes (sometimes I'd like to spray their faces with some ONR). People just don't know that whatever you charge, your not charging enough.

I recently worked on a cousin's car and my aunt thought it would take no more than 2 or 3 hours. I spent maybe 6 hours and the interior was still nasty (to me) and the paint could have used 2 rounds of full blown claying. They were happy with the end result and I was paid $150. I couldn't help but almost feel pressured to be done in 2 to 3 hours, but I told them it would be much longer. I think they're used to going to the dealer for a detail where they have multiple guys working on the car. I'm a one man show, but I do a hell of a lot better than any damn dealership detail department. I see it firsthand at my job. They wash every single car with handheld brushes and long brushes that basically sit in gritty, dirty buckets of soapy water. I've seen BRAND NEW cars off the truck get washed and the paint was immediately swirled to hell and back. This is the reason I brought my new car home all filthy. The dealer I bought my car from had an automatic car wash. I would have spent hours correcting all their eff-ups.

A lot of people don't truly understand what the word "detailing" means. That word is used very loosely anymore. It's such an in depth process even if it's a basic wash, vac, clay and wax, which is what I've done so far to my gf's aunt's car, my grandparent's car and my cousin's car. My grandparent's car was the cleanest of them all, still took me a good 6 hours or so. I even have a couple guys at work who want me to work on their cars, hopefully those come sooner than later. I could be bringing in around $350 for both cars. It's really just a hobby for me, but it has started to become somewhat of a side job. I wouldn't mind doing a car or 2 each month just for the extra money.

I think the reason why people want a top of the line detail in an hour is because we're all so used to getting things so quickly. Instant gratification, more or less. Even when I wash my car, I take my time and work at my own pace. If I can't take my time, I'll find a better time and day to clean my car.

hoyt66
03-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I totally agree here. I may have posted this verbatim. For me its after I do a 2 step correction. It's so much work! Not only do they have to figure out how to remove stains,

dirt, and swirls and any other thing then they have to spend the time to do it. These guys /girls are earning every penny.

rustytruck
03-03-2013, 04:53 PM
The guys who do it full time are working hard for sure. I turn cars down all the time that are trashed. I know the full time guys get stuck with all the cars that the part time detailers take a pass on. Like with many businesses the s**t flows downhill. If you have a full time garage you can't turn anything down because your livelihood depends on it.

Pureshine
03-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Even when I was part time I never said no to anyone. I have been full time for a longtime and I still never say no unless I'm booked up. I love taking a totally trash car and show what it should look like and what I can do.When I'm done with it the customer is speechless.

ediddy
03-03-2013, 05:12 PM
You are so right. I found this site by accident and learned a lot to clean my car. My friends wife has a 2012 white honda pilot and he wanted me to detail it after seeing my car. It took me six hours, just vacuming the inside was a job, it's bigger than it looks. She kept coming over asking why it was taking so long. I told her this wasn't one of those Goo Goo quickie car washes, it was a detailing job. When I was through his wife was ecstatic. She said it looked better than when it was new. My friend works for a budweiser distributor so when I got home the next day a case of bud was on my front porch. I didn't do it for the money, I just wanted to show them what a real detailing job is. I detailed my motorcycle and it took all day. I wouldn't detail motorcycles for a living. They are a lot of work. I was in the parking lot of the grocery store putting some things in my saddle bags and a guy came up to me, he had his work shirt on from one of the local detail shops and said, come by and I will detail your bike for you. I asked what he would charge and he said $50.00. I knew right a way that wouldn't be a detail. It would be a quickie wash and nothing else. People don't know the difference between a quick car wash and a true detail. Hats off to the professional detailers.

runrun411
03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
To do a proper correction can take at least a day or two or maybe even longer. I think the pros need to weigh in on this as to how long does it take to do a production detail on a daily driver. At some car wash locations you'll see a guy outside who does detailing and he will tell you "go have something to eat and come back in about an hour". Now that we know what we know today, we ask ourselves how good of a job could he do in such a short time? Maybe he has 4 or5 guys working on it. But if that's the case how does he make money if he has the cost of paying all those people.

Pureshine
03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
As for time on a daily driver really depends on condition really I never give a time till I see the car. For paint correction some cars have taken me 4 days.

runrun411
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
You are so right. I found this site by accident and learned a lot to clean my car. My friends wife has a 2012 white honda pilot and he wanted me to detail it after seeing my car. It took me six hours, just vacuming the inside was a job, it's bigger than it looks. She kept coming over asking why it was taking so long. I told her this wasn't one of those Goo Goo quickie car washes, it was a detailing job. When I was through his wife was ecstatic. She said it looked better than when it was new. My friend works for a budweiser distributor so when I got home the next day a case of bud was on my front porch. I didn't do it for the money, I just wanted to show them what a real detailing job is. I detailed my
motorcycle and it took all day. I wouldn't detail motorcycles for a living. They are a lot of work. I was in the parking lot of the grocery store putting some things in my saddle bags and a guy came up to me, he had his work shirt on from one of the local detail shops and said, come by and I will detail your bike for you. I asked what he would charge and he said $50.00. I knew
right a way that wouldn't be a detail. It would be a quickie wash and nothing else. People don't know the difference between a quick car wash and a true detail. Hats off to the professional detailers.

I have a white Honda pilot that I plan to do a full correction on this spring. I figure it will take 4 or 5 days.

runrun411
03-03-2013, 07:00 PM
As for time on a daily driver really depends on condition really I never give a time till I see the car. For paint correction some cars have taken me 4 days.

As for the average car, how long?

Pureshine
03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
As for the average car, how long?
Hate to say I have no average time really sorry. If it a regular maintenance car takes a couple hours.

Anthony@zerboautoworks
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
It all depends on what they want done, every car is different and some take.longer than others so there is really no average time.

cardaddy
03-04-2013, 01:22 AM
The guys who do it full time are working hard for sure. I turn cars down all the time that are trashed. I know the full time guys get stuck with all the cars that the part time detailers take a pass on. Like with many businesses the s**t flows downhill. If you have a full time garage you can't turn anything down because your livelihood depends on it.

Even when I was part time I never said no to anyone. I have been full time for a longtime and I still never say no unless I'm booked up. I love taking a totally trash car and show what it should look like and what I can do.When I'm done with it the customer is speechless.

I picked these two replies because the represent both ends of the spectrum, the thought processes that both go through.

@rustytruck - I'd say working hard is an understatement. That's the problem with so many these days, they think just getting by is good enough. And YES I think you're right to some extent. There are many part time guys here that don't do it for a living, and either don't want to do a harder car, or just don't feel comfortable doing it.

@Pureshine - I hear ya' buddy, were I really wanting to become self sufficent and have to pay my bills with it, I'd grab anything and everything. That, and the CHALLENGE of doing the harder cars (to me) is the best reward. (sometimes) ;)

I've decided (well my wife did actually, and has been prodding me to do so) that I'm going to do this as a business. It'll be a great way to teach my 19 year old kid that NOTHING is more important than a hard work ethic. He'll need to take over and pump it out when this old fool can't even stand up.

His older sister (24) is so dedicated to work that she doesn't even want to take off this year (when she gets married) for her HONEYMOON! I told my future son-in-law that he needs to stick to his guns and go ahead with his scheduling of a week off. Forget what she says because she's freaking going! ;) Don't care if I have to haul her to the airport myself, that kid is going on a honeymoon!

But for now... this boy is tired. Been working all freaking day on coming up with a name, (that is an available web site), logo, and business cards, this stuff is madness! :laughing: