PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion Needed: Wash Mitt vs Multiple Towels

Pages : [1] 2

1953hogan
03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi guys,

With spring approaching, I'm looking forward to getting outside, getting out the hose, and giving my car a thorough wash again.

I've been reading about wash mitt preferences on several sites and saw where Garry Dean posted a method where he doesn't use a mitt but uses several MF towels in his wash bucket (with a foamy wash solution, not rinseless like his other videos). I won't call it the Garry Dean Wash Method but let's just call this the Multi-Towel Wash Method:

Rinse Car
Foam gun soap an dwell
Rinse again
Single bucket with your favorite soap and multiple MF towels in the soap.
Use the towels once then put in the laundry.

Seems to me this might work great and be a time saver. No need to clean and maintain a wool mitt, for instance.

What does everyone think about this approach? Do you think there be more potential for marring with this method vs. the wash mitt method?

Thanks for giving your opinion.

FUNX650
03-03-2013, 01:37 PM
With spring approaching, I'm looking forward to getting outside, getting out the hose, and giving my car a thorough wash again.

^^^Me Too!!^^^

Rinse Car
Foam gun soap an dwell
Rinse again
Single bucket with your favorite soap and multiple MF towels/wash-mitts in the soap.
Use the towels/wash-mitts once then: Use another grit-guarded rinse bucket to remove as many
contaminates as possible from these once-used MF towels/wash-mitts...Before they're:
put in the laundry.

Seems to me this might work great and be a time saver. No need to clean and maintain a wool mitt, for instance.

^^^True^^^
(Although I personally find it difficult to not use a wash-mitt with a traditional hose car washing session.)

What does everyone think about this approach? Do you think there be more potential for marring with this method vs. the wash mitt method?

^^^IMHO...It still comes down to an individual's prowess at car-washing-techniques^^^

Out of curiosity...

-Where in your car-washing sequential-list would:
Degreasing/bug & tar removing/road-film-removal processes occur?
And by what:
"Most safe" for: Vehicle-surface areas...ways/means, if necessary?

-Actual, enclosed trailered "Show Cars" may not have the presence of any of these contaminates...
But you can bet your bottom-dollar that DD's, as well as some "Garage Queens", actually will.

Thanks.

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
03-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I thinks it's great, except:

1. I'm thinking of going with multiple mits, instead of towels. The Cobra chenilles are on BOGO, and I already have some. 10 mits would give me 20 clean surfaces. My cars are washed frequently and have no bonded contaminates. When I "clay" or IronX I get nothing.

2. You have to be careful to not "over stretch" you towel/mit. When its done, its done. A do a very good pre-rinse, and rarely see any "dirt" or dark spots on my towels. Before going to the GDWM for rinseless, I used to waste so much time cleaning the mit. First I would hose it out. Then grit guard it in a rinse bucket, them repeat in a wash bucket. It really took a lot of time.

At first the thought of using a ton of towels seemed like a huge waste. But in reality, I'd rather have the washing machine do the work of cleaning a towel, then me do it on each panel. It's a huge time saver.

Also, I plan on trying a zero bucket wash method. By using a bunch of mits/towels (a new one each time) and a foam cannon - you can eliminate both buckets all together, and just use your foam cannon to dispense soap. Then, when your done, just put your 5 or 6 mits in the washer, and let IT do the cleaning/rinsing. No filling/cleaning/dragging around the car buckets or dealing with grit guards. For smaller areas (or extra dirty) you can just use the appropriate microfiber towel.

Of course, wheels & wells still require somewhat conventional cleaning methods to get them clean.

Shortspark
03-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I have not tried Gary's method for regular wash but I do like his similar method for rinseless wash and I use it all the time. I would assume this would work too. However, I recently purchased a CarPro Merino wool glove and it cost something like $20. Expensive for sure but I like it a lot! This mitt is used only on "fairly" clean surfaces where the dirt and grime is not too heavy. For those really dirty areas I use other mitts and sponges. I will use that CarPro wool glove for my shampoos until it wears out!!

dooyaunastan
03-03-2013, 05:41 PM
With 10 mitts you get 20 sides but with 10 towels you get 40. I'm definitely going to be giving the method a try when it warms up, with the towels. Pretty easy to find 10 530 GSM towels for $30 on the internet too

1953hogan
03-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Out of curiosity...

-Where in your car-washing sequential-list would:
Degreasing/bug & tar removing/road-film-removal processes occur?
And by what:

Your call on that, I guess. I was assuming a maintenance wash with paint in good condition, with the goal of not marring or adding swirls, but if I had to say, I'd probably do those either as first step or would inspect after the foam is rinsed off. Would be happy for any advice on that.

1953hogan
03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I thinks it's great, except:

1. I'm thinking of going with multiple mits, instead of towels.

I had that same thought. I like it!

Neothin
03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
microfiber towels are designed to grab and hold... not something i'm keen to use on a dirty vehicle. I have always opted for multiple sheepskin mitts with heavy foam gun action providing lubrication.

1953hogan
03-03-2013, 05:57 PM
You have to be careful to not "over stretch" you towel/mit. When its done, its done.

A good reminder for all of us, I think.

At first the thought of using a ton of towels seemed like a huge waste. But in reality, I'd rather have the washing machine do the work of cleaning a towel, then me do it on each panel. It's a huge time saver.

After instilling some swirls into my soft paint with rinseless washing using 2 buckets and a mitt, I'm ready to give this a try.

Also, I plan on trying a zero bucket wash method.

Ha! What are you gonna name that! I'd get right on that and trademark it before somebody beats you to it!

1953hogan
03-03-2013, 05:59 PM
microfiber towels are designed to grab and hold...

Not sure I understand... Can you elaborate?

Thanks.

VWGLI
03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
1. I'm thinking of going with multiple mits, instead of towels. The Cobra chenilles are on BOGO, and I already have some. 10 mits would give me 20 clean surfaces. My cars are washed frequently and have no bonded contaminates. When I "clay" or IronX I get nothing.

I have used up to 5 Meguiars MF mitts before. I had to rinse them 2-3 times through the rinse bucket. I also used 2 rinse buckets to clean 2 mitts at a time.

vegas911gts
03-03-2013, 06:14 PM
I thought about doing the gary dean method when I saw someone doing it on youtube then I saw another video with gary dean doing it and that turned me off to doing it that way. Does he have always film videos so close to his face and him always being a self promoter salesman?

Pureshine
03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok heres all you need. I do a lot of high end cars and never use MF towels to wash unless doing a rinseless wash.
Foam
Rinse
2 bucket wash/Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt
Rinse

Drummer1
03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I use the Meguiar's micro fiber mitt on my vehicles with the Meguiar's Gold Class soap and this works great for getting them clean. I have not tried using the MF towels for washing yet, so I may try this later.

ShaunD
03-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Think he means grab and hold dirt, or whatever loose particlethe fibers come in contact with. That said I have found wool wash pads to be harder to get completely clean again once heavy dirt is in the fibers. Microfibers by nature actually release average dirt fairly well and can be used for years depending on the amount of usage and proper care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online