PDA

View Full Version : Explain Foam Cannon

davisautodetail
03-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Okay, so I'm sort of a traditional wash guy, and currently use the 2 bucket approach, which works really well for me.

In my area, especially this time of year, the cars are absolutely covered in road grime, so I HAVE to hit the whole car with a pressure washer before I even touch it, just to keep from rubbing dirt all over the paint.

I've been reading a lot about the foam cannons, but frankly, I'm just not seeing the point. Can someone explain it to me? If I still have to pressure wash, then wash with soap, then rinse, how is that any different? Or, does the foam provide some higher level of clean?

Or, is it just a matter of covering the whole car in foam so you can wipe it all down quickly and "wash/soap" it all, instead of the dual bucket "slower" method?

Thanks!

jgibson2980
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
I use the mtm foam lance with honey dew cg soap. My method is to pw the whole car to remove grimme . Then hook up the foam lance soak the whole car down . Then use two buck wash method and wash the car. From top to bottom . The lubricant in the foam make for a safer washing I believe . I love using it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

cartman57
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
As stated above, pressure wash first to remove excess dirt and grime then foam it with preferred soap of which there are many. Using the 2 bucket method will give the best results then final rinse.

HellaBroke
03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe im backwards.. when there is heavy road grime I foam let sit pressure rinse then foam and 2 bucket and final rinse

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

davisautodetail
03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I guess that's where I just don't see the benefit. If I'm going to use the 2 buckets anyway, and if 99% of the road stuff is off by the time I finish the initial pressure washer "pre wash", then all I'm doing it creating a bunch of foam with the same net results. Even greasy road grime comes off quickly with a strategic blast of pressured water.

I thought maybe I was missing something, but it seems like this is just an extra step to remove dirt prior to washing by hand. Maybe if the car isn't that dirty, the foam takes the place of the hand-mitt washing?

HellaBroke
03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Foaming rinsing foaming and 2 bucket... by the time im to the two bucket there is hardly anything left... so 80% was removed with 0 touching of tge paint... inducing 80% less chance of swirls if you ask me...

davisautodetail
03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Foaming rinsing foaming and 2 bucket... by the time im to the two bucket there is hardly anything left... so 80% was removed with 0 touching of tge paint... inducing 80% less chance of swirls if you ask me...

That's what I'm sort of getting at. I did this car yesterday, and by the time I finished just pressure washing for the pre-wash, there was almost nothing left to remove with the mitt/2bucket.

In this case, then, the foam would just be extra product out.

I'm just trying to streamline my process to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

jgibson2980
03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
I think using the foam gun is safer due to thw fact that. Don't have to dip into the buckets as much . And yes it maybe another step but it to me is faster . Again less time going back and forth to the buckets

davisautodetail
03-02-2013, 01:23 PM
I think using the foam gun is safer due to thw fact that. Don't have to dip into the buckets as much . And yes it maybe another step but it to me is faster . Again less time going back and forth to the buckets

It might be worth a try for me then, especially since I already use the PW.

I wonder if anyone has found a way to make their own foam cannon without dropping $120? Seems like a lot of dough for a couple of brass fittings and a plastic bottle.

cartman57
03-02-2013, 01:24 PM
I guess it would depend on what final product has been applied to the finish, that would be difficult to know unless you've worked on it before. Don't need to create more work by adding scratches.

dooyaunastan
03-02-2013, 01:35 PM
In my eyes the largest benefit of foam is 1.) the pre-soak concept of the practice and 2.) foam getting into all the nooks and crannies that you would never be able to even with a traditional wash.

I don't think anyone ever intended it to replace the traditional wash, unless the cars are already well cared-for and you foam then pressure wash it once a week.

jgibson2980
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Look at watercannon.com . I purchased my mtm foam lance off there for 49.99 with free shipping . Great buy

Johny B
03-02-2013, 05:12 PM
As stated above, pressure wash first to remove excess dirt and grime then foam it with preferred soap of which there are many. Using the 2 bucket method will give the best results then final rinse.

:iagree:

WRXINXS
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I foam, rinse than go into two bucket.

Do you guys advise I:

foam, rinse, foam again and then go into the two bucket?

FUNX650
03-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Many vehicles are driven almost daily, through many different weather/road "conditions".

If I may ask the AGO forum members:

Where, during the car-wash-session (traditional, 'foam-cannoning', or otherwise), does the:
-Degreasing/tire-tar&bug-removal/traffic-film-removing processes take place?

That stuff is always going to be there, somewhere, on a vehicle...
Between their "maintenance-washes".

Thanks.

:)

Bob