PDA

View Full Version : Presoaking Microfibers Methods

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
03-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Another microfiber related question! Trying to get my cleaning process down.

What is everyones process for pre-soaking heavily soiled Microfibers before washing?

Would it be ok to presoak them in a bucket of hot water for about a half hour to an hour with half an ounce or so of microfiber deteregent (Blackfire) agitating every once in awhile and rubbing the towel together over the stain to try to lessen some of the heavy staining/soiling?

I hear that some people use APC and some use free and clear detergent with the presoak and microfiber cleaner with the actual wash. I have alot of MF cleaner so I guess for me I might just use that for the presoak. Some let them soak overnight even.

Drew:xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
03-01-2013, 11:40 PM
I use Snappy Clean or the DP equivalent and presoak it as you describe above.

jiverson04
03-02-2013, 02:55 AM
With my wheel mf towels I put the mf in a bucket with hot water and dp mf cleaner. I scrub them in the bucket them put them in another bucket that is just hot water then ring them out and put them in the washer. That really helps not put so much dirt and crap in the washer. I was my wax mf towels the same way. The waterless mf towels I just put them in the wash when I have a full load. Im a mf junkie that's for sure. I cant stop buying them lol.
Take care.jeff

Bunky
03-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I will use an APC (Meg's, Optimum) to pre-soak in a bucket. It would be a few ounces and enough water to saturate the towels.

GS2011
03-02-2013, 07:39 AM
I soak mine in the washer in cold water (with Blackfire MF cleaner)for an hour or so before starting the wash cycle. Has always worked well for me.

BobbyG
03-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey Drew,

This is how I clean mine...:props:

Cleaning Microfiber Towels (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/39747-blackfire-microfiber-cleaner.html)

WRXINXS
03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Great info guys! Bobby thanks for the link. I think I am going to presoak exactly like you do (1oz BFMC/3gal hot water). Is 15 minutes enough or would half and hour or an hour be better?

BobbyG
03-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Great info guys! Bobby thanks for the link. I think I am going to presoak exactly like you do (1oz BFMC/3gal hot water). Is 15 minutes enough or would half and hour or an hour be better?

I think the longer you soak it the more soil and grime begins to dissolve but at some point the times vs. effectiveness slows. Keep in mind that the temperature of the water cools so maybe 30 minutes should be the limit before you wring them out and head for the washer...:props:

WRXINXS
03-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I think the longer you soak it the more soil and grime begins to dissolve but at some point the times vs. effectiveness slows. Keep in mind that the temperature of the water cools so maybe 30 minutes should be the limit before you wring them out and head for the washer...:props:

Thanks Bobby! I think i'll do the 30 with Blackfire! I will also agitate the stain areas during the presoak to help remove them. Thanks for the helpful posts.:xyxthumbs:

ShaunD
03-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Usually for my non-paint safe MF towels and cotton terry towels(cotton and mf separate) I will soak them in a bucket of hot water with Oxi-Clean for the recommended six(6) hours, agitating occasionally. MF is very durable and unless a tag on says otherwise, most can withstand water temperature up to 195°-200°F. The only towels I DO NOT regularly treat with hot water are my 600gsm towels like Lavender Super Plush, and especially chinchillas; but I will pretreat stains on the with warm water. However, all MF should never be dried in temps above 130°-140°F; usually towels above 330gsm I will low temp dry and remove before fully dry to air dry.
For normal use, not heavily soiled towels, I will pre soak them in the washer after filling it with hot water on a different setting(the soak setting only fills cold). They soak for about 40-50 minutes, and low spin, then go through a delicate, normal, or heavy wash cycle depending on the grade of MF, usually with a hot wash but, warm at least. I always give paint safe MFs a final Rinse/Spin cycle with warm water after the wash cycle ends. This is pretty much how I always pre soak and wash my MFs and have minimal staining in even my dirtiest task MFs. Occasionally for black stains for rubber trim and or grease/oils I will treat with APC/OPC or Pinnacle XMT. polishing pad cleaner. That stuff really does a good job of breaking up oil based stains while not degrading the material it's used on; another great pre soak solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Hoytman
03-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Nice review BobbyG.

I generally place my towels in the washer on a soak cycle. Prespray with APC+, agitate by hand, throw in washer to soak. I also use a couple of oz. of apc+ in the water along with some All free and clear. My towels come out great with the very hot pre-soak. My soak is way more water than you're using, and also more "ingredients" too. So, your review has peaked my interest. Not interested in better cleaning, rather, cutting down on product use.

DEXTERITY
03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Any suggestions on how to keep the washer from turning black with dirt? Wifey is not happy with that. I clean it off with fantastik but it's annoying. Thanks

ShaunD
03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Any suggestions on how to keep the washer from turning black with dirt? Wifey is not happy with that. I clean it off with fantastik but it's annoying. Thanks

Yeah, use a large plastic bin/container or five gallon bucket to do your presoak in and rinse your towels/detailing media in said container before putting them in the washer.
Maybe Bobby can verify but, I think distilled white vinegar in the final rinse may help mitigate this problem as well.
Gonna hit my washer up with some OPC and SG HD-Pro as soon as this load is done. Will let you know if either works better than the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Wheelzntoys
03-02-2013, 10:59 AM
I soak in Tide Clear for 30 min, light wash with a Vinegar rinse.

Then regular wash with Pinnacle or BF MF cleaner. Never had my washer turn black.

DEXTERITY
03-03-2013, 10:06 AM
thanks for the tips!