PDA

View Full Version : Foam Cannon for Water Hose?

RBJR
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Greetings All:

1- Do they make a Foam Cannon that works with a regular water hose?

2- Would using a regular water hose with a Foam Cannon be defeating the purpose of using a Foam Cannon?

Thanks

ihaveacamaro
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
foam gun = attachment for hose

foam cannon = attachment for pressure washer

A popular foam gun is the gilmour foam gun

2) What do you think is the purpose of using a foam gun? Because to me it's to loosen up grime and I think that doing that, in any fashion, will be helpful

Dr_Pain
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
The primary purpose of a foam gun or cannon is dwell time. You can engulf the car in no time and let the suds and surfactants within the product act on the road grime etc.. to emulsify and lift them.

I love it for stripping the LSP!!

Another reason I use a foam cannon is for marketing purposes. It makes a MAJOR show for your customers. They LOVE to see their cars pampered. Beats the experience of the swirl-o-matic any day! :props:

RBJR
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
What dwell time would be optimum for a foam gun?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
The primary purpose of a foam gun or cannon is dwell time. You can engulf the car in no time and let the suds and surfactants within the product act on the road grime etc.. to emulsify and lift them.

I love it for stripping the LSP!!

Another reason I use a foam cannon is for marketing purposes. It makes a MAJOR show for your customers. They LOVE to see their cars pampered. Beats the experience of the swirl-o-matic any day! :props:

It does stop people in their tracks to see their vehicle being pampered.

OP, Dwell time depends. It only needs to sit on the vehicle until it starts thinning out

dooyaunastan
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
You don't want the soap to dry up on your vehicle, so assuming you're working in cool, shady conditions without much wind ~5 minutes give or take.

Some people foam the car then take brushes to the badges/emblems/nooks and crannies or get started on the wheels, it's all up to you how you want to do it, just make sure the soap doesn't dry on your car.

Dr_Pain
02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
:iagree:

I agree on both counts. 5-7 minutes or as you see it thinning out. Gives you time to get into the body creases and around the badges etc....

I normally do my 2 bucket technique after, have a quick rinse with the PW, and then drive the car in the shop where I can blow it dry and finalize the drying with some waffle weave micro.

BobbyG
02-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Foam guns work well especially if you have city supplied water. If your water is household supplied then you may see a fluxuation in efficiency as the water pressure hits the lower limit.

I live in the country and with these mods my gun works much better....:props:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1453/medium/Foam_Gun_01.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1453/medium/Foam_Gun_02.JPG

dooyaunastan
02-27-2013, 05:52 PM
BobbyG, care to explain what those are? I'm intrigued now.

BobbyG
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
BobbyG, care to explain what those are? I'm intrigued now.

No problem!

What I discovered was the stock unit, while convenient, posed too many restrictions therefore reducing the efficiency of the gun on my home water pressure. I took it apart and decided to create a straight flow to the nozzle improving it and added a simple shutoff...

It's working for me! :props:

cleanmycorolla
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
No problem!

What I discovered was the stock unit, while convenient, posed too many restrictions therefore reducing the efficiency of the gun on my home water pressure. I took it apart and decided to create a straight flow to the nozzle improving it and added a simple shutoff...

It's working for me! :props:

When I first signed up here, I asked Bobby about his foam gun mod he did, and he gladly explained it to me in private. Needless to say, his tweak worked incredibly well for me. :dblthumb2: