PDA

View Full Version : Ya Never Know: BMW Z4 Black (again)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Totoland Mach
05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Story behind this car I just got: The dealer has a former customer that was ready to send this back to BMW Leasing, so the dealer purchased it and flew to Nashville. Drove it back to KC (600+ miles) and said it was hydroplaning in the rain. He knew the tires were worn, but not to the extent seen when I put it on the lift. OMG!.....what a potential disaster!

AnyHoooo......it's a 10 foot car right now and I'm attacking it starting tonight.

Here's a pic of the car at 10 feet...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/May07_BMWs/May07_Z4_10footPicBefore.jpg

Whoa on this tire!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/May07_BMWs/May07_Z4_TireTreadGone.jpg

Whoa on the finish

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/May07_BMWs/May07_Z4_SwirlsOnDoor.jpg

I'll start tonight with a wool pad (should get my new "woolie" from AG today)

Toto

Mike T
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Sweet! You show them what a Autogeek can do.

Pats300zx
05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Cant wait to see the results Toto...Im the MAN

Nica
05-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Not a bad vehicle, man every time I look at that lift I keep wanting to pull the triget and getting one for my garage. The only thing holding me back is that I don't have the height in my garage. Maybe in the next house, the lift isn't too expensive..mmm...food for thought.

Those are scary pictures Toto, specially the tire. Talk about requiring new tires and some. As usual the paint is what I expect, do the BMW's have soft clear coat? I have a friend that has a BMW and he would like for me to detail it for him, I told him soon I'll be able to do it...so be gentle on me when you see it Toto hahaha.

Well, looking forward to the write up and the pictures Toto.

Thank you for sharing sir Toto.

P1et
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Looks like you have your work cut out for you again Toto! And yes, you can see the actual belts potruding through the rubber on that one tire, scary stuff indeed.

Totoland Mach
05-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Nica: I've found that BMW clear coats are somewhat softer on their Black cars than the other colors. For the most part, they are pretty easy to correct, but you can't use a ton of aggressiveness or you'll end up with a ton of buffer swirls.

The dealer got real nervous after he saw that rear tire...he said he was really pushing the car fast on the drive to Kansas City. That could have done some serious damage if that tire would have blown.

Scary stuff to be sure. We're pulling the wheels and getting new rubber today, but I'll start on the paint anyway (that lift is a real saver for these type conditions). Plus, while it's on the lift, I can do a ton of interior detail without stooping and bending.

Toto

Nica
05-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info Toto, I got a question for you with regards to the lift. How safe is it? Any chance of the vehicle tiping over? There are points on the vehicle to lift from have you ever had a vehicle that was difficult to find a point to lift (I hope this question makes sense to you)?. I've seen one at a store here but I didn't see it being operated...may have to go back and take a look at it again.

Hope you don'g mind the questions.

Totoland Mach
05-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Nica: I always "test" the vehicle on the lift by a short lift (6 inches or so) and rocking the car a little. The Snap-On lift is completely adjustable so you can get the engine weight balanced correctly.

So far, shop safety is a number one priority and we haven't had any incidences with cars on the lift.

That Z4 is a Sport Package equipped vehicle and we had a heckuva time getting the lift points centered due to the low height.

Toto

Nuke33
05-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Damn those tires are shot

sparkie
05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Damn those tires are shot
:iagree:

Jimmie
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Can't wait to see and hear what you do with it Toto.

D
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM
What happened to that tire? Couldnt have been from a bad alignment.

sparkie
05-11-2007, 04:21 AM
I was thinking that.

Totoland Mach
05-11-2007, 07:09 AM

Don't understand that one either. Except they are the original tires on the car and it has 25/k on the odometer. I suspect they were never balanced correctly and you can't rotate them because of staggered sizes.

I compounded the car last night....aaaargh...soft black paint. I need to finish the car tonight because it's going in the paper tomorrow.

Toto

Stittville Ed
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
The tires I have looked at on BMW's seem to be a softer tire to make them handle a little better.
Better get the front end checked on a 4 wheel machine.
How many miles on the Z4 ???