PDA

View Full Version : Trying to detail as a part time

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lim3
02-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Hey guys ! I'm looking to start a part time detailing service.
Something to keep me busy while earning some extra $

I enjoy cleaning my car so I figured why not spread that love for it to others

The one problem I'm having here is simple. Is it okay to use the customers water and electricity ?

I have zero rep as a detailer here so no one will leave their car with me for a few hours obviously.

I just can't justify spending 1-2k on a mobile detailing set up for something that might not even work out as I hoped.

I have a hummer and a nice sized trailer but having to buy the large water tank plus the right pump for my pressure washer and a generator for power just wouldn't make sense.
Unless I get a nice clientele I can't justify the purchase.

Any help would be awesome !

CM8 6MT
02-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Lim3, your avatar is giving me Seizures.

The way I run my business (if you can even call it that) is from home in my garage.

I have a few select clients that were either gathered from friends or relatives. I dont detail for randoms. I keep my water costs down because I mostly use rinseless washes.

IMO, it wouldnt seem right to charge a customer X ammount, and then be like oh by the way can I use your water source & electricity. Thats going to cost the customer, so you would need to lower your detail pricing significantly. Unless like you stated, find customers that dont mind.

Thats just me though. Im sure others with well set businesses will chime in and give you better advice. Personally I like detailing from the comfort of my own home, and the clients that deal with me are comfortable with leaving their car at my place. Its all about reputation & the quality work you put down.

AutowerxDetailing
02-27-2013, 01:44 AM
I am only available part time and I had the same exact concerns as you when I was setting everything up. I started with a 10" orbital, Mother's OTC cleaner wax and a Shop-Vac. Everything built up from there.

As far as using people's water and power... In my opinion it is just assumed that is what is required when someone comes to your home to detail your car. I consider it the trade-off for the convenience of having a mobile service performed on your vehicle.

Sure it would be spiffy and extra professional looking to have your own water supply and power source but I can tell you from experience the only time it has EVER been an issue is when the location ended up being at a workplace. 2, 100ft extension cords later and the problem was solved but there are always job-site challenges in any mobile service type job.

jdmj0
02-27-2013, 02:22 AM
In my personal experience, I request it before hand. I give my "customers" (usually friends and family) the option to either have me go to them, or them come to me. As Nicholas mentioned above, they understand that we're in mutual agreement that they get to stay at home and relax as I detail; in return, I get to use their water and electricity. But I also make it a point to reassure them what I will be doing (e.g. if I need enough water to fill up my pad-washer vs a full car wash).

It really comes down to your clientele and how comfortable you feel with asking them.

Lim3
02-27-2013, 03:19 AM
thanks so much for the info guys. i feel a lot more confidant now with your point of view. going to the customers house it should be undertood i use their resources. but to play it safe just need to make sure before there is any last minute misunderstanding.

ShaunD
02-27-2013, 04:34 AM
A lot of customers assume I will need to use their utilities and are somewhat surprised that I can/will bring my own water/electricity. It's as simple as asking is there water and electricity available. I have yet to have anyone ever ask for compensation for using their utilities. If someone did I wouldn't see needing to give them more than $10 off. It usually cost more in gas for a job than what utilities will cost them, so I tell them let's just call it even. Just be up front and most people wont be crazy about it. You just need to be prepared for faulty water hoses, spigots, and electrical outlets.
I built my water tank setup for about $75 and my generator and pw cost about $400. So it's not an expense that you would have to go broke over. Plus most PWs will syphon once water is flowing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Stephen Lewis
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Good morning

I own a very well known Mobile detailing company and work 99% of the time in very high end vehicles. That being said I always use the customers water and electric. Never had an issue at all. They all just assumed it. Not sure if that helps you out at all. Good luck with your business

Pureshine
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Like CM8 6MT I run my full time business out of my garage and never have a problem with customers leaving there cars for a few hours or a few days. I do have a shuttle service where I drive them home and pick them up when car is ready. I have a limited area I do this for and for a couple of my customers I do go to them and use their water and electric. I charge them more for going to there house cause I'm not mobile at all but they have no problem paying me the extra money.

Lim3
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Good morning

I own a very well known Mobile detailing company and work 99% of the time in very high end vehicles. That being said I always use the customers water and electric. Never had an issue at all. They all just assumed it. Not sure if that helps you out at all. Good luck with your business

thats great awesome ! thankd for your inout man

Like CM8 6MT I run my full time business out of my garage and never have a problem with customers leaving there cars for a few hours or a few days. I do have a shuttle service where I drive them home and pick them up when car is ready. I have a limited area I do this for and for a couple of my customers I do go to them and use their water and electric. I charge them more for going to there house cause I'm not mobile at all but they have no problem paying me the extra money.

i didnt think about offering a shuttle service. thats genius. maybe i can offer that once i build some trust with some clients.
i doubt they will let me have their car for a few hours at my house with no recommendation from friends or family.

ihaveacamaro
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
A lot of customers assume I will need to use their utilities and are somewhat surprised that I can/will bring my own water/electricity. It's as simple as asking is there water and electricity available. I have yet to have anyone ever ask for compensation for using their utilities. If someone did I wouldn't see needing to give them more than $10 off. It usually cost more in gas for a job than what utilities will cost them, so I tell them let's just call it even. Just be up front and most people wont be crazy about it. You just need to be prepared for faulty water hoses, spigots, and electrical outlets.
I built my water tank setup for about $75 and my generator and pw cost about $400. So it's not an expense that you would have to go broke over. Plus most PWs will syphon once water is flowing.

What generator do you have?

ShaunD
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
It's a Champion w/ 196cc motor and 3500 cont./4000 peak watts. Picked it from BJ's wholesale club for about $300. You can get very similar ones at HF, Lowe's, and HD, and most of them have more outlets than mine at close to the same price. Mine only has one household 120v outlet, one 120v twistlock, and a 120v RV receptacle. I usually use a 3 prong cord if running multiple things; not a big deal. I tried running a cheap inverter off my truck battery but only worked a few times and was a nuisance to hook up and worry about killing my battery. Just as cost efficient to buy and run a generator.

Lim3
02-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Do you have mobile water ?

rustytruck
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Customers don't always have access to water and electricity. Condo's and apartments. If you do RV's they are never parked near water and electric. I carry everything I need to do the job.

Hoytman
02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Before offering a shuttle service, you better check with your insurance agent and discuss with them what your plans are. I think you will be surprised at what they tell you.

Whatever they tell you, your agent will be glad you discussed this with them.

I personally would not offer such service as I don't ever plan on opening myself up for a lawsuit if, God forbid, something would happen with them in my car.

The customers I have don't mind you using their water and electric so long as you're not wasting it. Those customers also like that fact their car is being worked on at their house, in their view.

Either they pay for gas to and from your location, or they pay for a little water and electric. My bet is on the gas costing them more, depending on where they live from your local.

jsgntulok
02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
There should not be an issue with using a customer's water/electricity. Just consider when you hire a plumber or electrician or carpenter or __________. He/She will use your utilities as they perform their work. A car detailer doing work at the client's home should be no different.