PDA

View Full Version : New to the PC, have a couple questions

smsag04
05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Hello all, I've been reading the site for a while and finally broke down and ordered a PC and the Optimum polish kit with CCS pads. I've always liked cleaning and working on vehicles, but all by hand so far. Anyway, with Mothers Day coming up, I am going to make my Mom's Suburban my first project with the PC and I've got a couple questions. It's a 2001 Suburban that has probably only been waxed 4-5 times.

The Suburban has decal pinstripes. I've done some searching in the forum and found recommendations to tape them off. I'm assuming that I would want to use some 1/2" masking tape and then go back over that area by hand after I'm done with the machine, correct?

Second, does anyone have any tips for small areas, like around the A-pillars and door handles? I have watched the videos on the AG site and found them very helpful, but they were all on big expanses of metal.

Thanks for the help guys, love the site!

ScottB
05-10-2007, 10:27 AM
A polishing pal (hand applicator) will work well for both areas. In a pinch you could use a smaller backing plate and 4 inch pads on the PC also.

scottgt
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM
ya if the pin stripe is bittle and gonna come off tape it..but ive dont many details not taping them off and they were fine...and killr said the rest

Jimmie
05-10-2007, 12:04 PM
ya if the pin stripe is bittle and gonna come off tape it..but ive dont many details not taping them off and they were fine...and killr said the rest

Yep. Me too, same as Scott. Every once in awhile I'll tape the thick ones so as not to roll up an edge.
What a nice "Mothers Day" gift.
By hand is OK under the door handles, etc with a fine polish.