PDA

View Full Version : What's your pick for New Black Audi?

Pages : [1] 2

RandyD
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Just got a new 2013 Black Audi A-4. The paint color is called Phantom Black. Seems to have more splarkles in the paint than the regular metallic black by Audi. I believe Audi paint is considered hard. I haven't felt the surface yet so I am not sure if I need to clay. Upon initial inspection I don't see any marring from the dealer ( I asked him not to wax). I am considering the following after washing.

1- Black Light and then Chemical Guys Black wax

or

2- Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish and then Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant

Whats your opinion. I haven't heard much about Chemical Guys Black wax. Not even sure if it is a sealant or a carnauba wax.

Bamaboy007
02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
I vote option #2

Dr_Pain
02-26-2013, 02:56 PM
I vote #1

I am a big fan of blacklight (machine applied... b/c of microabrasives) and hand applied black wax (or Pete 53)

addysdaddy
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Menz FG400 (if required) but assuming the paint is in decent shape, SF2500 as a great 1 step. Other choice would be the 4000 if the paint justs needs a little swirl correction and a bit of gloss'n up. I have two Audi's and the paint really seems to respond well to the Menzerna products. I haven't tried the others you mentioned, so I can't compare the two.

In terms of LSPs, there's so much to choose from but keep in mind the gloss will come from the paint prep. The more swirl free/scratch free the surface the better the gloss. I know that Todd loves the fire over ice combination and Nick has recommended BF Midnight Sun used by itself and not as a topper. Having tried various LSPs, I have found more of a difference on application & removal processes & ease of execution then on visual.

I'm a big fan of BFCS or RELOAD which are both spray sealants and super easy to use. RELOAD probably yields the glossiest paint I've seen to date. Frankly, any of the top tier products will give you great results. But I recommend you go Menzera.

Quattro3.2
02-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Sell it and get a white one. Kidding, but seriously. get a white one.

I'd go with option 1. I still don't know how I feel about the tinted (if that is the case) wax, however I do love blacklight. The best part about this hobby/addiction is trying new things. See how you like one, then try another combo.

You are correct. The Audis are known for hard clears. Mine was difficult to correct, but it looks great when its clean and shiny.

spiralout462
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
How about option #1 on the drivers side and option #2 on the passenger side.

Crazy Diamond
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
On my black A4 I use Wolfgangs 3.0 and dodo purple haze for the wax, give it a shot, purple haze is awesome on black. Black is for sure a part time job, but it sure looks awesome when it done.

HeavyD
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
"Sell it and get a white one. Kidding, but seriously. get a white one."
LOL Thats a great line

I vote #2 if thats what you have on hand.

Swissvax Concourso
Auto Finesse Desire
Race Glaze Black Label
I could go on all day,I love a perfect black Audi

VroomVroom
02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
I've got the same color, having bought in December. Boy did I want a white one, but such a beast did not exist in my marketplace. I just did my first detail effort. Not much in the way of correction - that'll come with consistent nice weather - but I wanted to assess the finish and get some protection on there...along with a bit of gloss.

FWIW, I went with Wolfgang DGPS for my LSP. I love the stuff, and it really is perfect against a pearl black. Not at all to second-guess you on Blackfire WD, though. I have that on the shelf too, and love it. I may in fact go that route once I've corrected the finish. But DGPS really does make it look like you've applied a nice carnauba.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8483901888_35ac0cec5b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8483902124_95d61b57c1_b.jpg

Johny B
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I vote #1

I am a big fan of blacklight (machine applied... b/c of microabrasives) and hand applied black wax (or Pete 53)

+1

AudiFL
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I have the same color but on a Q5. The paint is hard as rock. I did a RIDS correction using Menz SIP with an orange pad and still have some. However I used WGDGPS 3.0 and Fuzion and man that gave a wet deep reflection.

From your options I would go with option 2. I used the BF combo in my other car and it also look great. The color of the other car is silver though.

68bowtie
02-26-2013, 10:13 PM
I would go #2

Rayaz
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
I did the backlight V-7 combo on my wife's Black X3. It looked great but stopped beading at 2nd wash so I'm a little iffy on durability. Damned Arizona sun!

You're here so it's going to look better than most.

PS. The replacement due in June will be white. Black was fun but the next one is white....

Dr_Pain
02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
I did the backlight V-7 combo on my wife's Black X3. It looked great but stopped beading at 2nd wash so I'm a little iffy on durability. Damned Arizona sun!

You're here so it's going to look better than most.

PS. The replacement due in June will be white. Black was fun but the next one is white....

I have a '13 Tuxedo black Raptor in South Louisiana, I can vouch that the "southern" exposure will cook pretty much anything we put on paint. I normally give my truck a boost every wash with a quick V7 topper and that baby is still beading

FASTFRED
02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
I've got the same color, having bought in December. Boy did I want a white one, but such a beast did not exist in my marketplace. I just did my first detail effort. Not much in the way of correction - that'll come with consistent nice weather - but I wanted to assess the finish and get some protection on there...along with a bit of gloss.

FWIW, I went with Wolfgang DGPS for my LSP. I love the stuff, and it really is perfect against a pearl black. Not at all to second-guess you on Blackfire WD, though. I have that on the shelf too, and love it. I may in fact go that route once I've corrected the finish. But DGPS really does make it look like you've applied a nice carnauba.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8483901888_35ac0cec5b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8483902124_95d61b57c1_b.jpg
Your Q5 is gorgeous ! :dblthumb2: