PDA

View Full Version : CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam Pad

DiPaoro
02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Does anyone use the CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam Pad?

I have been using the blue pad for jeweling.

However, I am noticing my Red pad is beginning to falling apart and considering the gold one to replace it.

What are the opinions of this gold pad?

Andr3wilson
02-25-2013, 09:09 PM
I use this pad all the time for jeweling.

You will notice that it is smoother and softer than the red/blue/black finishing pads.

The other advantage to this pad is when if comes time to clean out the old polish with an MF, its soft, less rigid design makes it very easy to clean out.

Paired with 4500 on a rotary you get pretty awesome results

I like mine!

Johny B
02-25-2013, 09:11 PM
I use this pad all the time for jeweling.

You will notice that it is smoother and softer than the red/blue/black finishing pads.

The other advantage to this pad is when if comes time to clean out the old polish with an MF, its soft, less rigid design makes it very easy to clean out.

I like mine!

:iagree:

CM8 6MT
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Usually "jewelling" is done via rotary & to true show cars or high level extensive details. Its a very time consuming process, I dont see why anyone would "jewel" a customers car with a daily driver.

Most people wont pay for that level of correction anyway. Second, the results are barely noticeable. Hence, usually done to "true show cars".

BeachZone
02-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Usually "jewelling" is done via rotary & to true show cars or high level extensive details. Its a very time consuming process, I dont see why anyone would "jewel" a customers car with a daily driver.

Most people wont pay for that level of correction anyway. Second, the results are barely noticeable. Hence, usually done to "true show cars".

Lol!
Sooooo do you have an opinion on the gold pad? "Hence" the question the OP asked?

I didn't see anywhere in the post where OP asks:
What is jewel'ing?
How do I jewel?
When should I jewel?
Is jewel'ing a lengthy process?

Your thoughts??........................

Back on topic...

I had bought a gold pad awhile back to see how it would compare to my red and blue pads but haven't got the opportunity to use it yet :(
As Andrew said, it is noticeably softer and smoother than the other pads for sure. Seems like it would do a great job and can't wait to find something to try mine on! Pick one up, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

-Beach

MarkD51
02-25-2013, 10:32 PM
I gather that the term "Jeweling", is a process specifically aimed at rotary use, correct?

I only see such pads listed in a 6.5" size, and while I suppose they could be used on a DA, is there really any benefit?

I'm getting the impression apparently not. Mark

CM8 6MT
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I gather that the term "Jeweling", is a process specifically aimed at rotary use, correct?

I only see such pads listed in a 6.5" size, and while I suppose they could be used on a DA, is there really any benefit?

IMO no unless your in a show car competition.

To answer your question about the Gold Pads, since they are that much softer than the Multipurpose Blue & Finesing Red pads, dont expect the Gold pad to last much longer. Regardless of what your "using" it for.

Maybe Andrew can chime in on the durability of these pads.

Andr3wilson
02-25-2013, 10:45 PM

I'm getting the impression apparently not. Mark

To answer this question, I have tried it on a traditional DA, Flex DA, and a rotary to really gauge the difference, if any.

Now the Flex and the Rotary are quite close. You do notice an overall increase in gloss when you previously used a cutting polish.

On an open spindle DA, you really are better off using a red/blue/black finishing pad. A DA on a slower setting will not spin as freely or fast as a rotary or flex. Because of the slower speed, you are not putting as much "energy" into the polish to break it down as effectively. Thus the firmer pad is required for similar results.

Andr3wilson
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM
IMO no unless your in a show car competition.

To answer your question about the Gold Pads, since they are that much softer than the Multipurpose Blue & Finesing Red pads, dont expect the Gold pad to last much longer. Regardless of what your "using" it for.

Maybe Andrew can chime in on the durability of these pads.

I have used my pad on 8 cars and I haven't found any crumbling or breaking yet. To me I suspect because they are not cutting or abrading, working at slower speeds, and working on an already "perfect" finish, they seem to be fairly durable. I haven't had one were out yet. As you already stated, jeweling is very time consuming and not a very popular option for the average person. So really I haven't had the opportunity to see where the breaking point is

oldmodman
02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
I have several Gold pads and I think they are the best.

I seem to get even better results with the gold over the black with Menzerna PO85rd

It might not be the fastest pad to use but it gives me a flawless surface.

aim4squirrels
01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
May I revive this old thread for some clarification on a question that's been nagging at me for a bit?

I have seen on the forum that the Gold CCS pad has been highly touted as a great jeweling pad for (specifically) Menzerna SF4500.

My question specifically is WHY is it good? I'm not doubting anyone's results, but it seems to me that the CCS pad design would NOT be good for jeweling as the pockets in the pad would keep releasing fresh product into the buffing cycle and increasing the time it takes to break down the product. As Menzerna SF4500 is a DAT based product, it seems abrasives of differing sizes would be in play at the same time as spent and fresh product is introduced and mixed together on the pad and work surface throughout the work cycle.

A flat pad seems to me to be the ideal pad for jeweling work if a diminishing abrasive is being used, as the abrasives have the possibility of being broken down at the same rate, getting smaller and smaller on each pass, thereby leveling finer and finer peaks in the paint surface. But, it does not appear Lake Country makes a flat gold jeweling pad, they only seem to be of the CCS variety.

At least this is what I've been mulling over in my head after reading this Todd Helme article on jeweling and his theories behind whats going on at the microscopic level:
How to jewel your paint the ultimate shine. - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/31120-how-jewel-your-paint-ultimate-shine.html)

FUNX650
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
May I revive this old thread for some clarification on a question that's been nagging at me for a bit?

I have seen on the forum that the Gold CCS pad has been highly touted as a great jeweling pad for (specifically) Menzerna SF4500.

My question specifically is WHY is it good? I'm not doubting anyone's results, but it seems to me that the CCS pad design would NOT be good for jeweling as the pockets in the pad would keep releasing fresh product into the buffing cycle and increasing the time it takes to break down the product. As Menzerna SF4500 is a DAT based product, it seems abrasives of differing sizes would be in play at the same time as spent and fresh product is introduced and mixed together on the pad and work surface throughout the work cycle.

A flat pad seems to me to be the ideal pad for jeweling work if a diminishing abrasive is being used, as the abrasives have the possibility of being broken down at the same rate, getting smaller and smaller on each pass, thereby leveling finer and finer peaks in the paint surface. But, it does not appear Lake Country makes a flat gold jeweling pad, they only seem to be of the CCS variety.

At least this is what I've been mulling over in my head after reading this Todd Helme article on jeweling and his theories behind whats going on at the microscopic level:
How to jewel your paint the ultimate shine. - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detail-institute-presented-autopia-carcare-com/31120-how-jewel-your-paint-ultimate-shine.html)
According to Lake Country:
-The CCS Gold pad is flat-faced.

TO WIT:

Collapsed Cell Structure (CCS) has partially closed foam cells.
They employ the use of intermittent pockets that have been sealed and can no longer absorb polish.
This not only extends the workability of water and solvent-based polishes, levelers and compounds...
it reduces chemical usage, saves time, and makes the polishing process a lot easier.

CCS Pads are flat faced.
They have dimples across the surface which reduce surface heat at high speeds, and prevent pad skipping.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

CCS Benefits...In a nut shell:
-SLOW RATE OF POLISH ABSORBTION: Enhances polish performance.

-IMPROVES OPERATOR CONTROL: CCS pockets gradually release polish as needed by the operator.

-PREVENTS PAD SKIPPING: CCS pockets reduce surface tension allowing operator to run pad flat on working surface.

-CREATES LESS HEAT: CCS pockets reduce surface contact resulting in less friction generated heat.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Another thing to keep in mind are pads' PPI (pores per inch)
The higher the PPI number the less abrasiveness/softer.
Examples:
-Abrasive Cutting Foam: ~40 PPI
-Light Cutting Foam: ~60 PPI
-Finishing Foam: ~70 PPI
-Ultra-Fine Finishing: 100 (or more) PPI

LC's Jeweling Pad---Gold @100 PPI---is supposed to be 40% softer than the Red Finishing Pad:
Making it the best pad for jeweling, with a fine/ultra-fine finishing polish.

However:
That doesn't mean that LC's Red Finishing Pad, @80 PPI;
or, LC's Blue Finessing Pad, @85 PPI:
Can't be used for jeweling/burnishing paint.

Just a few of my understandings regarding CCS technology.

:)

Bob

aim4squirrels
01-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks again, Bob. I appreciate the insight. I was under the impression that the CCS pads had dimples on the surface that would hold product off the work area until you push into the pad more and get it into the mix. This didn't seem ideal for a DAT based product, but might be great for extending work times on SMAT polishes.