PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Wheels ???

Pages : [1] 2

ski2
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
My wheels are painted silver with a clearcoat (stock VW wheels). To polish them I've just been using a cut up orange pad with UC, but it's a PIA and very time consuming.

The wheels are a 10 spoke design with plenty of room between the spokes to get my hand between them for washing so I'm wondering it the Megs Foam Wheel Cone or the Mothers Power Cone or Mini Ball might work? Anyone have experience with these polishing cones??

Crazy Diamond
02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Cone would most likely work best for that type of wheel, the ball tends to throw little pieces after a few uses.

BucboyInPa
02-25-2013, 04:04 PM
How 'bout just opti-coating them and being done with that.

BobbyG
02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Compounding and polishing the wheel actually proved easier than I thought. These wheels are nearly 14 years old and many a hard winter, the worst Mother Nature and man can throw at them. Although I do maintain them I’ve never compounded and polished them.

I used a Mothers PowerBall in an electric drill along with Meguiar’s M105 compound & Meguiar's M205. This proved to be a great combination and before long it was easy to see the years of exposure removed and the sparkling finish came glistening through!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1453/medium/Wheel_01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1453/Wheel_02.jpg

ski2
02-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks Bobby!! Mainly trying to get at which of these drill attachments work well. Sounds like the Mothers work for you in the Powerball format. I think the cone will work better for my spokes. Haven't seen anyone who uses the Megs cone though.

oejeffrey
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
These are my wheels.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m281/oejeffrey/20130130_152345.jpg

Now I am not trying to hijack your thread at all but I was considering the Flitz ball but wow it is like 30 or 40 bucks!?!

I am like you and hoping someone has some experience with these tools chimes in.

PLEASE

vet
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I've used the power ball (mini)and the power cone, now I usually use the foam finger pockets I got from AG. Since you have the room, the power ball or cone will probably work for you.

daveinsweethome
02-26-2013, 11:38 AM
i have use both cone and ball for years. i dont use a battery drill but rather an electric. they both do work well but for well kept wheels i just use foam pads by hand now. there will be splatter for sure. using meg 105 is a great choice. i now use Malco wheel cleaner (like megs wheel brightener without the acid) for cleaning them first and iron x too. wheels are like a marriage. more time invested more returns. Mothers billet cleaner is still tops in my book.

BobbyG
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks Bobby!! Mainly trying to get at which of these drill attachments work well. Sounds like the Mothers work for you in the Powerball format. I think the cone will work better for my spokes. Haven't seen anyone who uses the Megs cone though.

This is actually the one I performed all the work on these wheels with. It sounds like you might be better off with the cone shaped version for your wheel configuration...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1453/medium/Products_Tests_13.JPG

BobbyG
02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
These are my wheels.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m281/oejeffrey/20130130_152345.jpg

Now I am not trying to hijack your thread at all but I was considering the Flitz ball but wow it is like 30 or 40 bucks!?!

I am like you and hoping someone has some experience with these tools chimes in.

PLEASE

Mother's products work well and won't cost you $40...

Shortspark
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
I found this one for ten bucks on clearance (1/2 price) at WalMart the other day. I used it once and it is okay but there is a bit of a learning curve. I think the secret is to push it in further through the spokes than you might think in order to have the "meat" of the wings to do their job. It is tapered quite a bit from the nose down to the first inch or so and gives you virtually no material to work with until it flares out.

I found that in the tight spots it was better to stick the nose in and go back and forth a few times without the drill power on. It all depends how your wheels are configured of course but for my use I don't think it is worth much more than the ten dollars I paid for it.

Black Magic® 5075505 - The Bullet Wheel Polishing Tool (http://www.carid.com/universal-detailing/black-magic-wheel-polishing-tool-1296700.html&utm_source=googlebase_com&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=Google_feed?CAWELAID=1764390924&nid=PLA&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLHBopfl1LUCFQk4nAodwGYA2Q)

ski2
02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I did see that unit at Walmart, but think I'd feel more comfortable with the foam on the Megs or Mothers cones.

Does make sense to use a 120V drill, but I got a new variable speed 1/2" for Christmas with lithium batteries and wow what a difference over Nicads so I may give that a try first once I decide which cone to purchase.

Haven't heard anything (good or bad) about the Megs cone. It is a one piece foam cone so my concern is if it tears it might become unbalanced etc where the Mothers is allot of pieces of foam packed in very tighly.

StreetImageTX
02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I used the mother's cone and Megs PlasticX on mine and they turned out pretty well. Going to try the cone and M105/205 soon and if that doesn't get it done then I will use a 4" pad on PC7424XP.

EWtheDETAILER
02-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Megs Dyna Cone! It holds up and will form to fit in all shapes and sizes you can't reach with the mothers ball! Yes I have them both :buffing:

ski2
02-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Megs Dyna Cone! It holds up and will form to fit in all shapes and sizes you can't reach with the mothers ball! Yes I have them both :buffing:

So you like the Megs Cone over the Mothers Power Ball?? Mothers also has a cone made the same way as the Power Ball--have you used it or just the ball?