PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to forum and detailing. Oklahoma

zsmcelroy
02-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey guys-
As the title implies I am new to detailing and this forum specifically. I bought an 01 F150 about a year ago and have been slowly learning how to get her up to snuff. I will post some pics, but I am having peeling oxidation on the hood and front fenders. Having done research I understand I will need to re-paint these areas to fix the oxidation, but I am more concerned with getting the rest of this truck cleaned and waxed to avoid the issue anywhere else, as well as working the oxidation areas to a more pleasing look while I save for a new paint job.

The first photo is the paint that is still peeling, and the second pic is of the hood and the general state of the paint. I have a new Porter Cable 7424 on the way, with some Chemical guys pads. Beyond that I am pretty clueless as to what products to move towards. I plan on doing a waterless wash by DP, followed by claying the entire truck in sections. From here is where I need help. What compound should I begin with. What steps do I follow to help correct and rejuvenate this truck?
So a little about me, I am 34 years old and a married father of 3. I have been getting more and more into cars and before i get deeper into the obsession I am hoping to learn to take proper care of my daily drivers. (My wife has a 2012 Toyota Prius that needs a wash and wax.) Thanks for the help and I look forward to posting more pics in upcoming months as weather breaks and I can get after detailing both cars. Very excited to find such a great site with so much knowledge.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Welcome to AGO.

Nothing that you pour out of a bottle cant fix the paint peel. That has to be repainted.

Hopefully member Chris's FX4 can chime in on some recommended products as he has nearly the same truck.

jonn127
02-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Welcome!! Where abouts from Oklahoma?

zsmcelroy
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm in the Tulsa area.

If only something could be poured out of a bottle to fix that peel I would buy the company and sell it here on AG.
Any recommendations on cleaning up the peel and saving the rest of the paint? Since I am new to detailing is there anything short of stripping the peel and primering it to stop it from peeling? I was hoping of making it presentable for a little bit longer, while also cleaning up the rest of paint. If the only solution is to primer then I will strip the front end and put in primer until I am ready to paint.

Pats300zx
02-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Welcome to AGO !!

jonn127
02-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm in the Tulsa area as well, Broken Arrow to be exact. If you want to, send me a pm and we'll take a look at it and I can give you my opinion and we could develop a plan. I could meet you at your place or whatever you want, just let me know.

GS2011
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
:welcome:

BobbyG
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
This is a classic example of tired paint.. It shows normal neglect and signs of clear coat failure. Even though the finish has seen better days you'd be surprised how much you'll be able to improve this situation with the right pad and product combo...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1470/medium/Hood9.jpg

Pealing extraordinaire

Unfortunately, there is no hope other than refinishing this entire panel...

If happens to be part of the same panel shown above then it's time for a facelift...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1470/medium/Peal.jpg

smooth
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Johny B
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
:welcome:to AGO

g35_coupe
02-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Hello from Oklahoma as well!

Chris's FX4
02-25-2013, 11:26 PM