PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Plastic Polish Options

WRXINXS
02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Looking for a good headlight cleaner to mainly apply by hand for general headlight maintenance on well maintained headlights. I would apply by machine occasionally as well.

I have used Plastx in the past and found it to work well. But I heard it may be more aggressive than Mothers, Duragloss, and Griots Plastic Polish that I am also considering and may leave a haze if the abrasives are not broken down all the way?

Anyone have experince with Duragloss Plastic Lens Polish vs. Meguiars Plastx? Is it a better product?

Also looking to see if anyone has experince with Mothers Plastic Polish vs Plastx or Griots Plastic Polish vs Plastx.

I am running out of Plastx and trying to see if there is any other polish I should consider before I buy Plastx again.

Thanks for any help provided!

Drew

2BlackChevys
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Opticoat seems to be popular on headlights to seal them and prevent future issues.

Qusai
02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
How about an aio? Im not sure if that's what you are looking for but I usually kept up my clear clean headlights with klasse. Whenever i applied it to my headlights with a pad, it cleaned em nice because my pad had a brown tint to it after i got done. Then i just seal with a strong wax like collinite or somn.Hope you having fun btw. don't blow the engine mr. Rotary lol

VroomVroom
02-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Are you just looking ahead, or are you seeing the need for frequent maintenance? I'd just use M105 or M205 by hand....perfect for 'maintenance' polishing, without the need to purchase dedicated products. If your headlights are seeing that type of damage, I'd consider some 'clear bra' film.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
This post might change your mind on how to tackle headlight maintenance.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/37701-headlight-sealant-spar-urethane-vs-opti-coat-2-0-a-23.html#post704281

Hope that indirectly helps.

WRXINXS
02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Not for my RX-7 (It's popups stay clear), but my WRX and my parents car's headlights get nasty after a few weeks/months of heavy driving. I have been keeping on them with the Plastx but heard it might be stronger than other plastic polishes out there (Mothers?) and may be more than I need possibly. I was looking into the Duragloss one to give it a try maybe.

ihaveacamaro
02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Not for my RX-7 (It's popups stay clear), but my WRX and my parents car's headlights get nasty after a few weeks/months of heavy driving. I have been keeping on them with the Plastx but heard it might be stronger than other plastic polishes out there (Mothers?) and may be more than I need possibly. I was looking into the Duragloss one to give it a try maybe.

I wouldn't worry about it being too strong if you're doing it by hand

Setec Astronomy
02-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Here's the thing: you're not polishing plastic, you're polishing the UV coating on the lens. AFAIK PlastX and products like that are for polishing uncoated plastic, which is not what you're doing. I'd use the same product you use on the paint.

WRXINXS
02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Here's the thing: you're not polishing plastic, you're polishing the UV coating on the lens. AFAIK PlastX and products like that are for polishing uncoated plastic, which is not what you're doing. I'd use the same product you use on the paint.

The UV coating is probably long gone on the car's I'm working on. I think they are only good for about 5 years or so out of the factory anyway. After many polishings with Plastx i'm sure if there was any UV coating that was left is gone now lol.

But I do agree. I think paint polishes would probably work just as well. I used Megs 105/205 on my Mom's 97 Acura headlights (In terrible shape) and it cleaned them up pretty well.

I'll probably just go Plastx again or try the Duragloss. I always seal with Megs headlight protectant afterwards:

Meguiars Headlight Protectant, plastic protectant, plastic sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-headlight-protectant.html)

Leaves them silky smooth.

CM8 6MT
02-25-2013, 06:14 PM
The UV coating is probably long gone on the car's I'm working on. I think they are only good for about 5 years or so out of the factory anyway. After many polishings with Plastx i'm sure if there was any UV coating that was left is gone now lol.

But I do agree. I think paint polishes would probably work just as well. I used Megs 105/205 on my Mom's 97 Acura headlights (In terrible shape) and it cleaned them up pretty well.

I'll probably just go Plastx again or try the Duragloss. I always seal with Megs headlight protectant afterwards:

Meguiars Headlight Protectant, plastic protectant, plastic sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-headlight-protectant.html)

Leaves them silky smooth.

I agree. PlasticX is what I used to remove some fine scratches after wet sanding. It wasnt until I hit them with Ultimate Compound with my DA that they really cleared up.

ScottB
02-25-2013, 06:35 PM
If the coating is gone try something like DP Plex-All. It will help keep the plastic sharp and new looking. No real protectant in it but sure makes tailamps look nice too.

WRXINXS
02-25-2013, 06:51 PM
The aggressiveness level of plastic polishes is hard to gauge sometimes. I may just try out Duragloss/Mothers and see how it compares to Megs Plastx. Megs #10/#17 combo looks good too. They are not very expensive so why not!

BTW Killr that DP product look solid.

Johny B
02-25-2013, 07:24 PM
If the coating is gone try something like DP Plex-All. It will help keep the plastic sharp and new looking. No real protectant in it but sure makes tailamps look nice too.

+1

davidc
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
I have been using this on all exterior lighting monthly for the last 3 months. So far I have not had any hazing/yellowing.
Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant forms a clear barrier over your plastic lenses to shield them from contamination and UV rays. (http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-surface-sealant.html)

Dave