PDA

View Full Version : Photo request brinkman and pearl white paint

HellaBroke
02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
As the title states its a cheap enough tool for what it does and im trying to see if it will aid in seeing swirls in pearl white... as of right now I have a 250w quartz light (shop tripod light) and sunshine and it is so stinking hard to see any if at all swirls in the paint.... maybe a brinkman is for me???

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

sharpreflection
02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
here is somthing i have found to be just as effictive as a brinkman light for almost half the price. Amazon.com: Nebo 5581 220 Lumen Redline Tactical Flashlight Strobe S.O.S: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-5581-Redline-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B006X2YTQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361753830&sr=8-1&keywords=redline+tactical+flashlight)

Hoytman
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
You apparently have some white paint that's taking an extreme amount of effort to even be able to see any flaws. What's wrong with that? :dunno:I fail to see where you have a problem. That would give me more time to polish on a car that really needed it, or time to do something else like spending time with my son. Are you serious? The car sounds almost flawless as it is.Im the MAN

vegas911gts
02-24-2013, 11:15 PM
I have a hard time finding scratches on my white car. Usually I turn the lights out in the garage and use a fenix flashlight and shine it on the car and look at it from all angles to find scratches.

SonOfOC
02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Sometimes good ol' T5 or T8 does the trick on whites and pearl whites when halogens, leds, and metail halides may fail.

Put your chin within inches of the paint and look in front of you at a 45 degree angle. This works much better than looking at it straight on.

AutowerxDetailing
02-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Sorry... this is the closest I can do (I really need to organize my pics):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012-10-04_18_43_26.jpg

This is post correction... You could see the swirls easily with the Brinkmann before though. It's a great light. It will definitely help you with paint correction and spotting defects on any color vehicle.

HellaBroke
02-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the feed back!

HellaBroke
02-25-2013, 06:17 AM
You apparently have some white paint that's taking an extreme amount of effort to even be able to see any flaws. What's wrong with that? :dunno:I fail to see where you have a problem. That would give me more time to polish on a car that really needed it, or time to do something else like spending time with my son. Are you serious? The car sounds almost flawless as it is.Im the MAN

So the point of paint correction is ro remove the swirls, rids etc from paint.... and white being a tricky color, do to how it reflects light weather it be swirled and scratched or perfect with no scratches...
What your saying is I shouldent remove the improfections because they are hard to see? They are still there and the more there are the more "off white" it becomes. While I do enjoy spending time with my rugrat and family this is my time, I no longer drink, I do not play video games this is my one man time that breaks up the monotony in tge game called life.

cartman57
02-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Some call it OCD or perfection, as you said it's your man time. Look at a few of Mike's threads, I believe the most recent one of the 60 (?) red and white Chevy. White or light colors are very difficult to see imperfections but with the correct angle you can.
If you have a garage, turn off any overhead lights then use a handheld, holding it at 45 degrees somewhat close so the light beam is concentrated not as a 'floodlight' if that makes any sense?

FUNX650
02-25-2013, 09:16 AM
As the title states its a cheap enough tool for what it does and im trying to see if it will aid in seeing swirls in pearl white... as of right now I have a 250w quartz light (shop tripod light) and sunshine and it is so stinking hard to see any if at all swirls in the paint.... maybe a brinkman is for me???

So the point of paint correction is ro remove the swirls, rids etc from paint.... and white being a tricky color, do to how it reflects light weather it be swirled and scratched or perfect with no scratches...
What your saying is I shouldent remove the improfections because they are hard to see? They are still there and the more there are the more "off white" it becomes.

If you really can't see any imperfections with your current light-sources, including the Sun...
How do you actually know any are there to correct?

When I'm in doubt regarding such an issue...
I've been using either one of these Meguiar's cleaner-waxes/AIO's:

White Wax.....G61
Black Wax......G62
Cleaner Wax...A12 (Maroon Bottle)

-If you want a Brinkman, go ahead and buy one.
-Home improvement stores have 1000w halogen tripods on sale quite often.
-Check out these stores' LED light-fixtures that you can retro-fit to your tripod.
-Make your own "Sun Gun"

I've found that having multiple light sources is beneficial to swirl-finding missions.
That...and being a contortionist!!

Bob

HellaBroke
02-25-2013, 11:02 AM
My main reason/consern is:
Im about to ship the car to italy, there is no guarantee that it isnt going to be washed, and possibly buffed by shipper uppon arrival in country so I would like to perfect the paint apply a good coat of exo or oc 2.0 (something that will provide protection but yet be removed) while this seems counter productive I rather potentially sacrifice a oc coating than have the clear coat swirled and remove a clear coat layer. Does this make sense?

HellaBroke
02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
To add onto this the last vw I shipped oconus ended up having etched waterspots and some other fluid spots covering the car ontop of having rotary swirl marks where a febal attemt was made to remove the damage.
And the want for a perfect finish prior to oc or exo coating woukd be for the slim chance everything goes well and I wont need to repolish everything there is a good solid coat on the car that didn't seak any improfections into the paint.