PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac ?

FMINUS
05-09-2007, 11:13 PM
I have read that several people use thier shopvacs to blow off the water after a wash. My question is this:

Would any dirt/dust from the canister or air be bad for the wet car? Should I just stick to the flooding method then using the guzzler?

I know there is a filter on the shopvac, but things still get through.

THANKS

D
05-09-2007, 11:23 PM
People debate about that all the time. If the thing is empty, and the filter is clean, then I think its fine. Some people will even say, you're blowing particles in the air at your paint with it.

BTW, you post a #### load of threads, nothing wrong with it, just noticed.

FMINUS
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
That makes sense, I guess if the guzzler is working fine, just stick w that eh?

D
05-09-2007, 11:28 PM
If its not broken, dont fix it.

I do like to go over cars with the blower AFTER drying them with the guzzler. I get all the water out of the cracks with the blower. I also like to dry wheels with the blower.

FMINUS
05-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Thats a good idea, I've seen them use pressure blowers to get the cracks at the carwashes, always seemed like a good idea.

Thanks for your input

D
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Another thing to keep in mind. I dont know if you're doing your car only, or other peoples car. But a blower really wont dry a car that well unless it has wax on it. The water just sticks to the paint otherwise.

Jimmie
05-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Just picked up an electric leaf blower on sale at Sears. It's not real powerful but I think it's a good pre Guzzler blower. It's 150mph, reg. $34.99, now $29.99.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/07174820000?hei=250&wid=250&op_sharpen=1

New sale on same blower. Now $19.99 until May 27th in my town. ?????

A-KA-MONN
05-10-2007, 02:40 AM
I have the shop vac that can be taken off of the canister, and can be used as a leaf blower/car blower. I got it from Lowes for about a hundred bucks.

It's great for the cracks between the windows ,the hard to reach places and rims.

ScottB
05-10-2007, 06:22 AM
I have a Black and Decker Leafhawg just for the car. If it was ever used for lawn care, I'd die !

trlblazer3
05-10-2007, 07:26 AM
If its not broken, dont fix it.

I do like to go over cars with the blower AFTER drying them with the guzzler. I get all the water out of the cracks with the blower. I also like to dry wheels with the blower.

I just recently starting implementing this step after going over the vehicle with the Guzzler and it make life soooo much easier, especially with wheels. I would highly recommend this step to anyone.

P1et
05-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Interesting. I use my shop vac as a vacuum cleaner, but also to blow the water off my truck. To be honest with you, it looks pretty damn perfect but now I'm worried about blowing crap that's in the canister back on the truck.

Looks like I might be using ONLY my leafblower going forward if I could be damaging my paint.

Good thread!!!

PS: I have a great layer of wax on my truck so it's pretty much a breeze drying it with the shop vac/ leaf blower. I don't get it all the way superdry, just enough to get most of the water off and then I go over it with the Guzzler. Works so good.

3Dog
05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Interesting. I use my shop vac as a vacuum cleaner, but also to blow the water off my truck. To be honest with you, it looks pretty damn perfect but now I'm worried about blowing crap that's in the canister back on the truck.

Looks like I might be using ONLY my leafblower going forward if I could be damaging my paint.

Good thread!!!

PS: I have a great layer of wax on my truck so it's pretty much a breeze drying it with the shop vac/ leaf blower. I don't get it all the way superdry, just enough to get most of the water off and then I go over it with the Guzzler. Works so good.
Not only the canister but also the hose that has been sucking up dirt.