PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to detail black car

Pages : [1] 2

Redfireshaker06
02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
My girlfriend has a 2012 black Jetta. She lives an hour away and when I see her on the weekends, I don't have enough time to actually polish and wax it and the car majorly needs it. Is there a quick way to do it? Can I just wax, I'm not looking at paint correction at this time. The car just needs to be waxed. I know I could just wax it, but I tried that and the wax would not go on and off easy at all. Any suggestions?

Crazy Diamond
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Clay it first

thebamboo23
02-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Wash, clay, wax

Andr3wilson
02-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Well Claying a black car can inflict marring and scratches that would typically not show up.

If speed and no correction is what you are looking for. Either and all in one like Klasse or glazing and waxing will be the quickest was to hide the imperfections. Although like hiding suggests. It's not very permanent

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Quickest way would be to do a rinse less wash, clay then use a cleaner wax.

There really isn't a quick way to clean something and do it correctly, it just takes time.

Jrocket
02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
I was thinking Wash, Light Clay and the AIO but not really sure about claying a black car w/o polishing.. I'm sure the AIO would hide some of the lighter imperfections.

Maybe CG Blacklight or Blackfire Total Polish and Seal

But not really sure of a shortcut that would look ok.. those are my best suggestions

I hate saying this but maybe turtle wax black box is an option for you.

( all it will do is temporarily hide imperfections ) and wax

Big Boi
02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Wash, clay, xmt 360

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

Redfireshaker06
02-24-2013, 05:46 PM
So you guys think clay is the reason my current wax is not being friendly?

1953hogan
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Do it in stages over several weekends. Then you could:

First weekend: Wash and begin to clay.
Second Weekend: Light wash and finish claying.
Third weekend: Use a one-step product that both polishes and waxes like one of these below:

Optimum Poli Seal, paint sealant, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/poli-seal.html)
BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-total-polish-seal.html)

Best,

Steve

Redfireshaker06
02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks, MAYBE I'll be able to knock it out this coming weekend

spiralout462
02-24-2013, 08:37 PM
My girlfriend has a 2012 black Jetta. She lives an hour away and when I see her on the weekends, I don't have enough time to actually polish and wax it and the car majorly needs it. Is there a quick way to do it? Can I just wax, I'm not looking at paint correction at this time. The car just needs to be waxed. I know I could just wax it, but I tried that and the wax would not go on and off easy at all. Any suggestions?

If the wax was hard to remove it is possible it was applied to thick. Just a guess.

ShaunD
02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Like stated I would do it in sections. Get to the most needed areas first and use a spray sealant on the areas you aren't doing full correction and LSP. What wax did you use that you said wouldn't go on or come off easily? Have you tested any areas for contamination? Next time you see the car I would do the bag test, after thoroughly washing first. Then do a test spot on an area you can easily check in different lighting. Then I would focus on getting the bumpers and horizontal surfaces done first since those areas see the heaviest wear and contamination on average cars.
If you are looking for a good cleaner wax OTC, Mother's is pretty good/fairly durable IME. At least will give the paint some protection between visits until you can correct all the paint and use a more durable LSP on all surfaces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

buffguy
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Since you don't have a lot of time, you should trying using a sealant like menzerna powerlock instead of a wax. Its easy to apply and lasts many months.

Infiltrator
02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Since you don't have a lot of time, you should trying using a sealant like menzerna powerlock instead of a wax. Its easy to apply and lasts many months.

+1 on a sealant for durability

rmagnus
02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
My answer is going to seem strange but hire a detailer maybe an AG detailer to do the work.

Reason being if you only see her on weekends you might want to spend time with her rather than her car. I'm guessing to do the work right it's going to be a 4-6 hour detail. One exception would be if she wants to share the work with you.