PDA

View Full Version : Best clay to remove overspray

1953hogan
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble removing some overspray. So far, I've tried Griots detailing clay and also the Ultima Elastrofoam block. As a lube, I used the Ultima Cleaning Lubricant in both cases. Neither combination got rid of the overspray.

Do I need to get more agressive? Change the lube or use less lube, or may get a more aggressive clay.

Would this clay work well?

Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive - C2100 (http://www.autogeek.net/meprdeclag.html)

Thanks, guys.

RhetoricMixes
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Depends on how bad the overspray is. If there's entry of it you'll have to use aggressive clay like the meguiars one you posted. I ran into a vehicle this past weekend line that and I advised the customer that he would need a polish afterwards since the aggressive clay will mar paint pretty bad depending on how hard or soft it is.

1953hogan
02-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks. Just to clarify for anyone else who can answer, I am planning on polishing, too.

Steve

cartman57
02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Either the one you posted or the Speedy Prep since you're going to polish anyway.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/57439-video-removing-overspray-paint-speedy-prep-towel.html

ShaunD
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
I would go with the Speedy Prep towel. I just dealt with This situation on a 2010 Camaro and Meg's red clay was not as effective as the fine SPT. Yet, the aggressive clay marred the paint as bad if not worse than the SPT did. If the paint isn't in bad shape I would stick with fine grade. I haven't used the aggressive version of any of the clay bar alternatives like the SPT so I cant give an opinion. But, with removing paint over spray there is going to be marring regardless of the media you choose to remove it. If the paint is soft and thin I would not use a machine version like the Nanoskin Autoscrub as you can end up with tick marks and/or pig tails. As far as lube goes use the most lubricating thing you can find whether it be a designated clay lube or QD. I have used ONR and WW mixed for clay lube with good results even on soft paint like the said Camaro. I would try a dilution 100% stronger than what's recommended for clay lube; so if it says 1 ounce to 32 h2o, go 1:16. Safety in numbers. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Crazy Diamond
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Use Meg's professional grade for over spray, it works awesome.

1953hogan
02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Just went outside and tried to scrape up a few of the overspray dots with my fingernail without success, makes me worry that even more aggressive clay or the prep towel won't do it.

If neither the aggressive clay or the prep towel works, I'll be $100 into this job. What would be the next step after that?

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and a plain white (no dye) terry cloth towel. Spray brake cleaner onto towel, rub gently.

CM8 6MT
02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Depends on how bad the overspray is. If there's entry of it you'll have to use aggressive clay like the meguiars one you posted. I ran into a vehicle this past weekend line that and I advised the customer that he would need a polish afterwards since the aggressive clay will mar paint pretty bad depending on how hard or soft it is.

100% Agree

MBX5
02-24-2013, 07:14 PM
I've used http://www.autogeek.net/megovclay.html
Many times. The one you posted I have also used but most times its a bit much.

rotzilla
02-25-2013, 04:00 AM
I used the meg's mild on my truck that had 8 month old paint overspray on it. Worked like a charm and caused very little marring.
I had tried meg's fine clay at first with little success.

Crispy
06-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Why not use paint thinner? If the surface is damaged or marred you can polish your way back to a nice shine. I frequently spray bomb my car and while careful about overspray it can and does get everywhere. I speedy prep towel as first step and then paint thinner if still rough (baggy tested). I use lots of thinner on paper shop towel and gently rub until it is smooth. Follow up with Optimum Finish Polish and good to go.