PDA

View Full Version : my gg6 is a little wobbly

LazyGhost
02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Is this normal? Just got it a few days ago and have yet to use it. Still has the 6" backing plate on it. When i spin it by hand, its a tad wobbly. Im fixin to go do a test spot with a white pad and some sf4500.

jlax2485
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Make sure that your pad is centered on the backing plate.

I just had to send my GG6 back to get a replacement after only one use- the shaft that held the counterweight on snapped while under normal use- I had never seen that occur before but the beautiful thing is these come with a lifetime warranty, so if you're having problems with it- send it in and they will send you a new one.

Chris@AutoCleanse
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Make sure that your pad is centered on the backing plate.

I just had to send my GG6 back to get a replacement after only one use- the shaft that held the counterweight on snapped while under normal use- I had never seen that occur before but the beautiful thing is these come with a lifetime warranty, so if you're having problems with it- send it in and they will send you a new one.

Did you send yours to Autogeek or griots?

jlax2485
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I called customer service at Griots and they told me to send it directly in to the Griot's return center. Im guessing they will just replace the unit if they cant fix it.

It was so weird when it happened- I was using a 5.5 inch foam flat pad on speed 5, and I could see the pad spinning when it just snapped and started wobbling like crazy. I lifted the unit up to see that it had snapped where the counterweight attached.

I bought it from autogeek but assumed that I would have to deal with Griot's directly. Sux I couldnt finish polishing out my brand new WRX.

Finemess
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
AG is very good about replacement. My first one had about six uses on it and little screws began to fall out of the front end. Second one is super good.

jlax2485
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Do you think AG would replace it? Might save a little time instead of sending it directly to Griot's- I bought from AG it in December on sale but I didn't use it until yesterday for the first time.

Sorry OP, didnt mean to hijack your thread.

Chris@AutoCleanse
02-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Worth a call

RTexasF
02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Use it first then decide. Spinning it with the machine off isn't really telling you anything.

spiralout462
02-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Use it first then decide. Spinning it with the machine off isn't really telling you anything.

:iagree: It is the nature of a Dual Action polisher. It spins and oscillates at the same time. I could see how this would appear like a wobble.

LazyGhost
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
:iagree: It is the nature of a Dual Action polisher. It spins and oscillates at the same time. I could see how this would appear like a wobble.

Its wobbly. Not real bad. Just dont know if this is normal or not. I understand it spins and oscillates. The wobble is from the shaft thats holding the backing plate on. You can spin it and see that its not "true". But, like i said, its not real bad. This is my first da, and thats the reason im asking the question. Is this normal? Everything is tight and secure. If its normal and wont pose a problem, i intend to keep it.

I didnt get a chance to use it today. Im learning that detailing takes a lot of time! Rain tomorrow. Likely be tuesday before i try it out if im lucky.

jlax2485
03-06-2013, 05:48 PM
If it is not right I would send it back to Griot's for a replacement. Just call up their customer service line and explain the problem. I just got a new one back from Griots- the one I bought from AG that broke was the 2nd gen- they sent me a brand-new 3rd gen as a replacement! Gotta love the lifetime warranty and great customer service!