PDA

View Full Version : preventing leatherette from cracking?

matryx
02-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering what products you can use to prevent leatherette from cracking? I've used 303 aerospace protectant but I don't think it works well for that.
Do you treat the leatherette like real leather and use leather conditioning/lotion?

FFguy808
02-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I remember when i had my 98 Audi A4 with leatherette seats, i maintained it like a regular leather with a leather cleaner and conditioner every 4 weeks and no cracking what so ever. Mother's makes a good OTC leather conditioner:dblthumb2:

matryx
02-24-2013, 03:31 PM
I've had the driver seat bolster replaced once because it was teared and crack and it seems like another part of the seat is cracking now.
From what I gather the leatherette is vinyl and it seems the majority uses a plastic/vinyl protectant like 303 Aerospace Protectant or something similar.

I guess I'll try a leather cleaner and conditioner. I was wondering is there anything special about a leather cleaner? Would it be enough to just use ONR to clean the interior and leatherette seats?

Old Tiger
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
I would try DuraGloss 531. It is the best UV Protectant I have used.

FFguy808
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
I was wondering is there anything special about a leather cleaner?

Leather cleaners are meant for leathers because they don't contain harsh cleaners that will ruin your leather. Basically, you wanna have a clean leather surface before applying the conditioner or else it won't get absorb properly to condition the leather. I've used leather cleaner and conditioner too on vinyl with no problems:props:

matryx
02-24-2013, 06:43 PM
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

I would try DuraGloss 531. It is the best UV Protectant I have used.

How often do you apply it?

I've tried using OPC 3:1 to clean the leatherette before but I'm trying to cut down the time it takes to clean it. Seems like with OPC I have to clean it off with water before applying a protectant.

I did a quick search and it seems like a lot of BMW owners use Woolite in 6:1 dilution. I'm going to try that later on.

neat e34
02-25-2013, 02:52 AM
What sort of car are your seats in?

matryx
02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
its a BMW 328i sedan.

ski2
02-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Been using Optimum Protectant Plus (formerly called "Leather Protectant") on my leather and vinyl since my car was new in 2006 and the interior looks like the day I picked it up. Very easy to use and no oily build up. Doesn't add any shine to the leather or vinyl--just a natural as delivered finish.

Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html)

Meticulous-Detail
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Ultima Interior Guard Plus is one of my fav's for all interior surfaces. It's an interior selant and protectant.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus uses superior science and technology to coat, seal and protect every finish in your fine automobile. This clear sealant dries completely and will not leave a greasy, slippery film that attracts dust. Instead, fabrics, leather and vinyl all take on the tactile feel of fine cashmere. You will glide in and out of your leather seating and feel a new comfort that's silky smooth, but not slippery.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus is the first and only polymer sealant for automotive interiors. The Ultima sealant protection lasts for months and requires only a damp cloth or Ultima Detail Spray Plus to clean and maintain. Plus, unlike traditional interior dressings, Ultima Interior Guard Plus maintains and even, natural appearance and will not fog your interior glass

Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-4.html)