PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washers?

Pages : [1] 2

FMINUS
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I saw them using this at the BMW dealer, pros and cons?

D
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Im picking one up this week. Im going to get the Briggs and Stratton 2200 psi washer.

Whitethunder46
05-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Being a mobile detailer, it's nice to have the extra power, especially for bug/tar removal, tire/wheel cleaning, and fenderwell cleaning. Also works better than great for engine cleaning since a lot of it is air.

The cons I have is simply the time it takes to hook up, etc. I have quick connects galore out of everythingggg, but it still takes me an extra 5min. to hook the pressure washer up, get it running with the pressure built up, and all the hoses untangled and neatly positioned.

Overall, the pros definately outway the cons imo.

My model: Electric Karcher 1400 PSI w/ 25ft. extension PW cord for 45ft. total length

FMINUS
05-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Do the pressure machine strip the wax? Would the washer replace the 2 bucket system?

Whitethunder46
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Do the pressure machine strip the wax? Would the washer replace the 2 bucket system?

No strip, no replace 2 buckets.

The soap you use is what will/could strip wax.

FMINUS
05-09-2007, 11:26 PM
So whats the point of the pressure washer if you still have to use the 2 bucket? Is it just for mobile detailing purposes?

scottgt
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
like he said..you need one for mobile detailing...you prob. dont need one just for your cars..im sure you keep them pretty clean and you arnt going to be gettin alot of bugs or mud or hard dirt off your car

Jdm
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
The thing about a pressure washer is the fact that it gets in to crevices and tight afters that any tool or brush simply wont get into. For example, the rubber moulding where your window retracts into when roled down, spray it with a normal hose and it seems clean, get saflely close with a pressure washer and dirt pours our of them. I would never want to wash a really dirty vehicle without one.

D
05-09-2007, 11:54 PM
They are also good for cleaning carpet mats. If you are just cleaning your own cars, then you probably dont need one. Its not just for mobile detailers though, Im not mobile.

orngez
05-10-2007, 12:15 AM
pressure washers are in the same category as brushes, foam guns, bucket dollies, etc...i call them gift accessories...stuff i put on wish lists to get...they are not necessary on a detail...but they have their specialized uses....i find pressure washers especially good at engin bay cleaning as well...when you hold away at a distance you are misting/blowing air on the engine to get the degreasers gone without flooding the engine bay full of water....

Surfer
05-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Are you guys using weaker pressure washers and turning the adjustment down? B/C we have a pressure washer that will chip cement away LOL. I learned the painful lesson of wearing sandals while pressure washing.......was fine all these years but all it takes is that one time:D

D
05-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes, the pressure washer I want comes with 3 different nozzles. The more expensive ones are adjustable.

Jimmie
05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
My PW is fairly powerful but I just use a low pressure fan nozzle for the car. Point blank range it will put a clean stipe on concrete, but I can hold my hand in front of it at 6".

orngez
05-10-2007, 12:35 AM
electric power washers usually top out at about 1800-1900 psi and only shoot out so manny gallons per minute...gas ones are where the real power is at....and higher water flow...i have taken the paint off of bumper, in order to strip the paint off without using chemicals, with a high powered gas pressure washer...an electric one can do it as well...but a hihg powered gas one you dont have to be that close to still do it

Surfer
05-10-2007, 01:19 AM
My PW is fairly powerful but I just use a low pressure fan nozzle for the car. Point blank range it will put a clean stipe on concrete, but I can hold my hand in front of it at 6".My gas powered one will chip the cement away and take your hand off:D