PDA

View Full Version : Griots 3"

WRXINXS
02-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Looking into purchasing a griots 3" for tight areas on my car where a PCXP with 4" pads just won't fit.

Does it have any correction power at all? Light swirls?

Would you recommend the griots 3" pads or LC 3" hydrotech low profile pads for this machine?

Drew

fenderpicks
02-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I just tried out the Meg DA System, and it works wonder compare to my griot 3"

The griot will stop rotating even when u give it the slightest pressure, and the Meg DA system will FIT anywhere you would like to polish, and the griot is still bulky that will not work as good as the Meg DA

WRXINXS
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Wow! I did not even know that system existed but it won't fit in one the spot in my front grille opening that I need it too because the drill is attached at the top while I think the Griots could fit in because it not as tall.

VroomVroom
02-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I have the second-gen GG (first was replaced under their recall) and it's marginally effective. As mentioned above, it doesn't have a lot of horsepower, and when you lay into it a bit, it gives up the fight. I've only used LC pads on it - orange and white. On soft clearcoats, or on finishes with only light swirls/marring, it's faster and easier than working by hand in tight areas, but beyond that I'd be hard-pressed to recommend it. Definitely a luxury for the toolbox, not a necessity.

Pureshine
02-24-2013, 04:01 PM
I've had mine for two years works great if you use MF pads I can take out swirls no problem in tight areas. I all so use it for polishing wheels and motorcycles. I still don't under stand why people say they can't take out swirls with this machine. Its not going to have same horse power as the full one but its not suppose to.If it did you wouldn't need the full size one then.

Johny B
02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
I just tried out the Meg DA System, and it works wonder compare to my griot 3"

The griot will stop rotating even when u give it the slightest pressure, and the Meg DA system will FIT anywhere you would like to polish, and the griot is still bulky that will not work as good as the Meg DA

:iagree:I had one and returned it the same day not powerful enough.

fenderpicks
02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
the griot could fit into some spots the Meg DA cant, but from what i see and experience the MEG DA fit in MORE spots/spaces than the Griot 3" FOR ME at least.

I have been polishing my WRX for the past few days now, and i have used the Meg DA w/ yellow Meg pad for my side mirror,side skirt, hatch door and front bumper, fits really well for all that, but at times it is hard to control the Meg DA, due to its rotation, and i wish that they could have made the handle even longer.

spence
02-24-2013, 09:47 PM
I really like my GG 3" DA use it all the time for scratch correction, applying wax, need more power, just turn up the speed.

ihaveacamaro
02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I really like my GG 3" DA use it all the time for scratch correction, applying wax, need more power, just turn up the speed.

Agreed I use my GG 3" satisfactorily all the time. The key is LC low profile hydrotechs 3" and speed 6

Hoytman
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM
It's designed as a smaller package which usually means less power and therefore a person can safely assume any compounding/polishing will take longer with this machine. I think that's to be expected and a given.

However, additional polishing in tight areas where a larger dual action polisher can't reach is just a side benefit to where I really think this polisher shines, and that is for sanding. I want one just for it's compact size and ease of use when sanding.

In addition to that, if I buy one, then I'll look like a pro. :laughing:

dougsrt
02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I've had mine 2years and use it in tight spots and hard to reach are'smy 6" gg da wont fit. It works very well and yes if it gets a little boggie i just turn up the speed

WRXINXS
02-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Griot's Garage 3 Inch Orange Polishing Foam Pad, foam polishing pad, Griots foam pads, orbital polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-orange-polishing-pad.html)

Is this pad OK for it for correcting very small areas or would a Low Profile Tangerine Hydrotech be better?

Klasse Act
02-25-2013, 08:48 AM
I've had mine for two years works great if you use MF pads I can take out swirls no problem in tight areas. I all so use it for polishing wheels and motorcycles. I still don't under stand why people say they can't take out swirls with this machine. Its not going to have same horse power as the full one but its not suppose to.If it did you wouldn't need the full size one then.

Well said, I agree 100%! I use mine for bumper areas and headlights, side mirrors too. It does what it needs to and I haven't had an issue with it once in my years of using it.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online