PDA

View Full Version : carpro eraser vs menzerna top inspection

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

vegas911gts
02-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Are both similar products? Which would you use after claying? And which would you use after polishing?

Do I even need either one?

CM8 6MT
02-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Yes both products perform similar functions, that is the ability to remove polishing oils.

What do you mean which one would you use after claying? Clay bar doesnt remove or hide swirls so why would you use any of these? For what purpose?

Anyhow, I would recommend you get either product to inspect your work after polishing. They remove polishing oils to make sure you are actually removing defects, not masking them with polish residue.

I'm currently using Griot's Pre-Wax Clenzer. I get a big 35oz bottle for $9.99 instead of 16oz of Menzerna for $19.99. These products dont add any aditional benefits to the paint other than to inspect your work, so choose wisely.

Xplosive Detail
02-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Yes both products perform similar functions, that is the ability to remove polishing oils.

What do you mean which one would you use after claying? Clay bar doesnt remove or hide swirls so why would you use any of these? For what purpose?

Anyhow, I would recommend you get either product to inspect your work after polishing. They remove polishing oils to make sure you are actually removing defects, not masking them with polish residue.

I'm currently using Griot's Pre-Wax Clenzer. I get a big 35oz bottle for $9.99 instead of 16oz of Menzerna for $19.99. These products dont add any aditional benefits to the paint other than to inspect your work, so choose wisely.

Well said, I am personally not sold on any of the post polishing "cleaner" products. I don't mind doing a few extra passes with ipa. I know mike had an article about the danger of ipa at 100% but I personally use it stronger then the most common 10-20% mixture. I use closer to 30%. After I do the hood I always start there I do the water test to make sure I'm happy. If at 30% I need to do more then 2 passes I use it 70-80% for the remainder of the car. But I spray it directly onto the microfiber and then follow that pass with a wet microfiber just to clean off the area. Even at 100% for several seconds before wiping with a wet micro I think ipa is fairly safe. Mike just stated an issue he had which was over some standing time on the car. Mike is the master so he's comments are bang on I wouldn't go directly against any of his advice. This is my personal precedure.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Between the two listed I would use Eraser. That is what I am using to check my work after claying, polishing, or whatever.

I would think PR is more of a QD than something used to strip the paint like Eraser.

Andr3wilson
02-24-2013, 10:17 AM
I avoid using ipa. If you have a clear bra it will effectively dissolve it. I bought a half litre of eraser and I have used it on 8 cars as a full swipe down. I used about a 1/3 of the product. Never tried the Menz one.

Old Tiger
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Used to use Menz PI in the pre coating days. I am a big Eraser fan. It works better than G|Techniq Paint Prep and isnt as stinky as Wurth Prep Solv, which I can only use outdoors. It will also remove interior windshield film like nothing else, It smells nice too!

Wes Bremec
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
I've been using menz top inspection for about a year now. Not only do I like the cleaning ability but it seems to lay down lubrication on paintwork before moving my microfiber across to make it officially lap ready. Menz top inspection has never left any residue behind unlike mineral spirits or other ore lap cleaners.

vegas911gts
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Eraser is out since I have a clear bra on the front.

I was thinking of using a product to clean the paint after claying because the quick detailer used to lubricate the clay will be on the car and might hide light scratches and swirls that I want to polish out.

Colinpd137
02-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I have used them,

They both work as intended, but eraser was much easier to work with than Menz. Carpro Eraser's price tag per volume is much better than Menzerna Top Inspection, I think Menzerna's is the most expensive iv'e seen per volume. I still use IPA on the side sometimes, just really depends on the car (soft or hard CC/ color / ect)

Here's my opinion.

Eraser > IPA20% > Menz Top Inspection

CM8 6MT
02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I have used them,

They both work as intended, but eraser was much easier to work with than Menz. Carpro Eraser's price tag per volume is much better than Menzerna Top Inspection, I think Menzerna's is the most expensive iv'e seen per volume. I still use IPA on the side sometimes, just really depends on the car (soft or hard CC/ color / ect)

Here's my opinion.

Eraser > IPA20% > Menz Top Inspection

Interesting. I'm going to give CarPro Eraser a shot once I run out of Griots Pre-Wax Clenser.

LazyGhost
02-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Well said, I am personally not sold on any of the post polishing "cleaner" products. I don't mind doing a few extra passes with ipa. I know mike had an article about the danger of ipa at 100% but I personally use it stronger then the most common 10-20% mixture. I use closer to 30%. After I do the hood I always start there I do the water test to make sure I'm happy. If at 30% I need to do more then 2 passes I use it 70-80% for the remainder of the car. But I spray it directly onto the microfiber and then follow that pass with a wet microfiber just to clean off the area. Even at 100% for several seconds before wiping with a wet micro I think ipa is fairly safe. Mike just stated an issue he had which was over some standing time on the car. Mike is the master so he's comments are bang on I wouldn't go directly against any of his advice. This is my personal precedure.

Finally read Mikes book and i thought the ipa wipe was just for the test spot. I still have yet to do any polishing, just getting my ducks in a row. So youd recommend an ipa to cleanse all the way around the vehicle?

Wes Bremec
02-25-2013, 12:34 AM
I've used menz top inspection on clear films on a couple of cars. No damage was causes by this product

Pureshine
02-25-2013, 01:56 AM
I been using Top Inspection for a long time and stop using IPA or anything else. Everyone has there own opinion and I say use what works for you.

vegas911gts
02-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Top inspection it is. Pricey, but I got a clear bra and I plan on doing a full clay and polishing job once or twice a year so I want to make sure I have the right items and do it right.

WRXINXS
02-25-2013, 07:56 AM
For those that have used both, which one is less "Grabby" while doing a wipedown? I find Griots Pre-Wax Cleaner to be "Grabby".