PDA

View Full Version : New guy looking for help

Trevor02TA
02-23-2013, 08:47 PM
I've been here for a while, but just reading and researching.
Anyway, I've got a black 77 SE Trans Am (smokey and the bandit car) with fairly new paint. It was done in May 2012. The paint used was Spies Hecker super jet black and Spies Hecker high solids clear. I'm not sure if it's a hard or soft paint??

The car was finished with 3M products with the last steps being Ultrafina and Menzerna FMJ once the paint cured. It looked pretty flawless with the exception of a halogram that I would catch on the trunk lid every now and then depending on the light. I think halograms are buffer trails. Is this correct?

I tried to keep the finish as perfect as possible. There were no swirls or spider webbing. Key word being "were"! The car has not been washed since being painted as it never really gets dirty. (garage queen) If it does get dusty I would use Wizards detail spray along with MF towels from Chemical Guys. Well, now it's showing some swirls and webbing after doing this.

THIS IS WHERE I HOPE YOU CAN HELP

So I'm seeking advice on which product to use and which ones to avoid. Although I don't have a lot of detailing experience, I'm certainly no dummy. At least I don't think so. The only arsenal I have is a Porter Cable 7424 and a whole bunch of Chemical Guys MFers. I also have Menzerna Final Polish, Finish Glaze and FMJ.

I have used Zaino in the past, but it's been many many years since I've done any sort of real detailing. All other cars are silver and white. The painter just snickered and said "your gonna love this black".

Oh yeah, I do have access to a Makita rotary, but definitely not the experience.

Thanks for all the help and input. Trevor

arjo.reich
02-23-2013, 11:23 PM
First, figure out what's causing the swirls. Do you have a lit of bonded contaminates that your pushing with your towels or are your towels causing them, themselves.

Cheater: Black tinted detailer of your choice, or...

Get a waterless wash and clean the worst area. Using the ziploc baggie trick, feel for contaminates but clay anyways. Then, with a mild polish, using straight-line technique, HAND polish that area and buff clean.

If that cleans up for you and takes care of the problem, spray it with detailer and dry it off with you mf towel a couple times in your typical fashion. If you catch even a single new scratch, it's your towels. If not, it's probably the bonded contaminates being relocated while detailing.

As always, YMMV...

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

cleanmycorolla
02-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Cheater: Black tinted detailer of your choice, or...

whats that?

Johny B
02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
First :welcome: to AGO.

Do you have a photo to help experienced detailers to provide you with the right informations?

arjo.reich
02-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Turtle Wax Black Detailer is one that is sold everywhere, but it's a spray detailer like you've already been using that contains black pigments that settle into and hides the swirls and minor imperfections. Not a solution, but it's a cheap and easy way to hide the problem until you have the time & energy to rectify the clearcoat.

I'm told the Backfire line has one as well that is superior but that's a 3rd party opinion I cannot confirm...

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA