PDA

View Full Version : synthetic wax over sealant?

andym
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Hey guys,
Here's the question, can you layer a synthetic wax like 3m perfect it liquid wax over klasse SG. I have read the MSDS from the 3m and it does contain solvents like stodart, and petroleum dist. Are these strong enough to remove the sealant. Or is it just cleaner waxes that have the ability to remove SG.
Thanks for your time
andy:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
IMHO...3M Show Car Wax (paste or liquid) is a Sealant.

Will it work atop KSG? Probably.

Instead of doing that, though, I would:

-Put a layer of a pure carnuba-wax over the KSG. Or:
-Put on another layer of the same Sealant...KSG...
in order to ensure uniform coverage.
(Instead of a Sealant from a different manufacturer's product line-up)

Whether an LSP-product's stoddard and/or petroleum distillates are:
"strong enough to remove the sealant" (or other types of LSP's, I'll add)...
Is often an interesting, quite debatable topic...on many Detailing Forums.

:)

Bob

arjo.reich
02-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Allow me to expose my ignorance but aren't the terms "synthetic wax" and "paint sealant" synonymous? I thought all pure synthetics were sealants?

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

KenR
02-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Good question. I do know there are some waxes like Fuzion that combine carnauba and synthetic polymers. Mike Phillips has some articles on all the different varieties of waxes and sealants, which might help. I like to use Fuzion over a sealant on my cars.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

FUNX650
02-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Allow me to expose my ignorance but aren't the terms "synthetic wax" and "paint sealant" synonymous?

^^^Usually...In car-care-speak^^^ :)

I thought all pure synthetics were sealants?

^^^In a manner of speaking...Yes!^^^

There are, actually: 'True Synthetic Waxes'.

-These synthetic-waxes are paraffin-waxes...obtained from processing natural gas.
-This is in contrast to obtaining paraffin-waxes from petroleum/petroleum by-products.

However...
Synthetic-waxes can be used in/for the same applications
as petroleum-paraffin-waxes...including car-care products.

Bob

PS...I'll see if I can locate the name for the: Synthetic-wax process.

FUNX650
02-24-2013, 12:24 AM
...I'll see if I can locate the name for the: Synthetic-wax process.

Found it...

FWIW: Fischer-Tropsch Process

Bob

swanicyouth
02-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey guys,
Here's the question, can you layer a synthetic wax like 3m perfect it liquid wax over klasse SG. I have read the MSDS from the 3m and it does contain solvents like stodart, and petroleum dist. Are these strong enough to remove the sealant. Or is it just cleaner waxes that have the ability to remove SG.
Thanks for your time
andy:xyxthumbs:

I doubt you will have an issue. I did a test recently and found sealants like WGDGS and Powerlock were not affected by mineral spirits, IPA (70%), and APC+(1:4). I believe these sealants are quite chemically resistant, at least when they are fresh (when you will be layering).

I also found they stick (as chemical resistant) almost just as well when applied over an acrylic type glaze, like Black Hole. While these results can't be applied to every product, I think you will be fine. The only I found that removed the sealants to any degree where products with abrasives and corrosive wheel cleaner.

I was wondering about layering myself and if the "wax" was removing / or mixing with the sealant. Now I'm pretty confident in that there likely is nothing strong enough in a "wax" (synthetic or otherwise) that will remove most better sealants.

andym
02-24-2013, 04:18 AM
Thank you all for the wealth of information:xyxthumbs:
The reason im doing this is because i like the longevity and the pop of the 3m, ive used r22 on top of KSG with great results, but short lived protection. For those that are interested 3m contains siloxanes as the main synthetic protectant, but as far as I understand they dont form a bond with the paint like acrylic sealants. More like a barier that "sits" on the paint. If you really want to try something wild pour equal portions of 3m and collinite 845 mix well apply sparringly, and step back! This will blow your mind. I came up with this cause i Liked both products, but hated the amount of time to put both on seperatly. I dont know the specific chemistries involved, as this was more of a backyard hack, but the reults were amazing.
andy

vegas911gts
02-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Thank you all for the wealth of information:xyxthumbs:
The reason im doing this is because i like the longevity and the pop of the 3m, ive used r22 on top of KSG with great results, but short lived protection. For those that are interested 3m contains siloxanes as the main synthetic protectant, but as far as I understand they dont form a bond with the paint like acrylic sealants. More like a barier that "sits" on the paint. If you really want to try something wild pour equal portions of 3m and collinite 845 mix well apply sparringly, and step back! This will blow your mind. I came up with this cause i Liked both products, but hated the amount of time to put both on seperatly. I dont know the specific chemistries involved, as this was more of a backyard hack, but the reults were amazing.
andy

Got any pics of this special mix on your car? If you like the pop of a 10 dollar synthetic, I'm sure you'll go bananas if you put fuzion on your car or any other good wax like pinnacle sourvern, dodo juice, auto finesse, lusso oro, or some of the cg waxes. But if you prefer sealants, I'd give menzerna power lock a chance. Just read the recent thread about it and how it refuses to go away.