PDA

View Full Version : MF pads or foam pads???

runrun411
02-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Alright!!! I bought plenty of foam pads, then all of a sudden I start seeing all these rave reviews about MF pads. Please help me out here. Which one is better? In what application do you chose which? Do I need go buy MF pads now? I feel like if I don't I could be missing something
:doh: :confused:

CM8 6MT
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
MF discs (pads) are generally for heavy deffect removal. An example would be using an MF disc with D300, M105, or Menzerna SF4000. They remove defects alot quicker than any product with a Foam pad ON a Dual Action. Rotary+Foam/Wool there is no comparison in speed.

Dont get me wrong, you can achieve heavy deffect removal with foam pads, but you will finish down nicer & alot quicker with MF discs, whether you pick Megs, Optimum or LC discs.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-22-2013, 08:18 PM
MF discs (pads) are generally for heavy deffect removal. An example would be using an MF disc with D300, M105, or Menzerna SF4000. They remove defects alot quicker than any product with a Foam pad ON a Dual Action. Rotary+Foam/Wool there is no comparison in speed.

Dont get me wrong, you can achieve heavy deffect removal with foam pads, but you will finish down nicer & alot quicker with MF discs, whether you pick Megs, Optimum or LC discs.

+1.

What machine are you using them with runrun?

runrun411
02-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Do you also use them with polish? I think I've also seen MF finishing disc. Also, how long do they last? Cleaning/washing?

CM8 6MT
02-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Do you also use them with polish? I think I've also seen MF finishing disc. Also, how long do they last? Cleaning/washing?

Depends on the MF Disc, for example the Meguiar's finishing disc is designed to be used with D301 post compounding with D300.

My recomendation? Skip the finishing discs & D301 and go straight to your favorite finishing polish & foam pad.

Not sure about Optimum or LC, but earlier versions of Megs MF discs would delaminate. Since then the issue has been corrected. You can clean MF discs "on the fly" with compressed air.

Old Tiger
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM

:xyxthumbs:
I agree with Megs, Opt and LC all cut very well with any compound I have tried. I still prefer foam to finish.

RLucky82
02-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Alright!!! I bought plenty of foam pads, then all of a sudden I start seeing all these rave reviews about MF pads. Please help me out here. Which one is better? In what application do you chose which? Do I need go buy MF pads now? I feel like if I don't I could be missing something
:doh: :confused:
I did the same thing, bought a bunch of 6.5" pads then found out 5" pads were better so i ordered those to find out MF pads a better yet... guess what's in the mail?

Funny how this works isn't it?

CM8 6MT
02-23-2013, 02:33 AM
I did the same thing, bought a bunch of 6.5" pads then found out 5" pads were better so i ordered those to find out MF pads a better yet... guess what's in the mail?

Funny how this works isn't it?

LoL. The idea that 5.5 pads are better came from the idea that 5.5 pads spin better on the Porter Cable.

I use 6.5" pads on my GG6, no issues, great results. For the guys that use 5.5" pads, try beating my 4" pads ;).

Point being, use whatever YOU feel more comfortable with. Dont go for the latest "rave" or so to speak. Im used to 6.5 pads, if Im working on a smaller panel for example like a fender, I just switch to a 4". I have my method down, the solution here is to find the size & brand of pads that YOU feel most comfortable with, not what everyone else is raving about.

Marc08EX
02-23-2013, 03:23 AM
^^ I agree completely.

VP Mark
02-23-2013, 09:18 AM
I use both foam and MF pads. They both have their place in a detailing arsenal. There is no one trick pony in this hobby, and sometimes you need a little or a lot of everything.

About pad sizes... I use 5 inch because they work well with my PC and rotary. There is no magical pad size that will work in all situations either, which is why I carry a few 7.5 pads for the rotary, and am soon going to get a dedicated 3 inch random orbital polisher.

It's nice to have variety. :)

mg6045
02-23-2013, 09:25 AM
BOTH

Cut with MF

Finish with Foam.

MF for the cutting step is great. You have to tape off a lot less, and interestingly enough the MF can clean up after itself around painted trim and badges. Not really sure how to show that without a picture, but if you use it for an entire car you will notice what i'm talking about.

mg6045
02-23-2013, 09:28 AM
LoL. The idea that 5.5 pads are better came from the idea that 5.5 pads spin better on the Porter Cable.

I use 6.5" pads on my GG6, no issues, great results. For the guys that use 5.5" pads, try beating my 4" pads ;).

Point being, use whatever YOU feel more comfortable with. Dont go for the latest "rave" or so to speak. Im used to 6.5 pads, if Im working on a smaller panel for example like a fender, I just switch to a 4". I have my method down, the solution here is to find the size & brand of pads that YOU feel most comfortable with, not what everyone else is raving about.

The good thing about a quality forum like AG is that when a lot of people are raving about something, theres usually a very good reason for it ! Most of the time the forum members are right. I can only think of 1 or 2 times that I wasnt in agreement with the crowd, and that was with some of the Ultima wipe on walk away products.

runrun411
02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I saw the Mike Philips video introducing them. Seems like they work well. Just that you need to clean them frequently as you work.

CM8 6MT
02-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I saw the Mike Philips video introducing them. Seems like they work well. Just that you need to clean them frequently as you work.

Yes this is true. Your dealing with heavier cutting ability, hence more material/product will be building up.