PDA

View Full Version : A request I found a bit odd

Pages : [1] 2

akj
02-22-2013, 05:47 PM
OK guys I know this kinda goes against all that we do as derailers. But I had a customer that brought a car to the shop today and wanted a wax (as he called it).
He then began to tell me of a detail he got last year that the shop put on a wax and according to him made he black car fairly new, have a much more reflective and glossy shine than it had brand new.
He said it was almost like a mirror, and that it was by far the best wax job he's ever seen. Really show ready.

I know this guy from school and his a big car enthusiasts and does car show regularly. So it stays fairly clean.

Here's the clincher... the wax or whatever it was didn't last long at all he said maybe a month. And he has no clue what it was. And has went back there many times last year but know one knew what he spoke of. The guy who done it died not long after he did his car. And none of the other products they had done the same thing.

So that's what he is looking for. A wax (or something) that gives him that mirror like finish even though it don't last he wants that.

He said he's been to other detail shops and tried many things but nothing ever gave a shine like that
Does anyone have a clue what this could be.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

john b
02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
sounds like a glaze

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds like Turtle Wax Black Box. A wax full of fillers and has a black consistency. Even the spray detailer is a black liquid.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-22-2013, 05:56 PM
This was a review a while ago. Was probably the same thing you are asking about.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/16874-turtle-wax-black-box.html

Rsurfer
02-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Pinnacle Souveran.

mwoolfso
02-22-2013, 05:59 PM
So you do want to look for that needle in the hay stack, huh?

Any idea what products do they have at that place? The info may help eliminate some products.

jjj
02-22-2013, 06:00 PM
It's actually not a bad product, but will not last long. You can actually get better results with a glaze, topped with coly 845 or another great wax. I have done several "cover" ups with glaze and topped with wax. For those that don't want full correction. Poor boys black hole is good. If you mess with black box wear gloves ; )

ihaveacamaro
02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Sealants are generally very shiny. Have you tried nufinish? Sounds like something that a "shop" would give if they were trying to do shiny but not break the bank.

509IS350
02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Pinnacle Souveran.

:iagree: Thats what I was thinking when I read it.

akj
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
The shop told him that when his was done they only had otc products at that time. And most of it was megs and what they used the most of then was megs ultimate compound, ultimate polish, cleaner wax, megs black and white wax, & megs carnuba wax. So from that he didn't mention any glaze.

So instead of trying to find exactly what they used what could I pick up at the store tomorrow that would give him what he's looking for hopefully?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-22-2013, 06:35 PM
The shop told him that when his was done they only had otc products at that time.

Thats exactly why I brought up Black Box. Its an OTC product for black that can be purchased at your local auto parts store.

akj
02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Cool thanks. Turtle wax black box I'll go look for that in the morning..
Just in case they don't have it is there anything else I could get?

HellaBroke
02-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Pinnacle Souveran.

Definetly will make any and all improfections pop... it will give great gloss and depth/reflections but I have done a handful of black cars this month and souveran is my favorite wax on black (really my favorite wax period) so I dont think souveran would yeild what the op is looking for... especially since it sounds like there was no correction done.

I vote meguires glaze. Or anyother typical shop glazes topped with a cheap carnuba. I dont know about the rest of you but I dont see the point in wasting expensive product on an uncorrected car. I would be looking for the best consealment glaze I could get my hands on....

(Just my .02 I wont take a car and just "wax" it except my own.... no point in concealment it will be back soon enough in my eyes fix the problem ie correct then seal wax and educate on maintnence)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
02-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Cool thanks. Turtle wax black box I'll go look for that in the morning..
Just in case they don't have it is there anything else I could get?

Beware this will turn your hands, towels, and applicators black. I know from experience. I tried it on my 07 BMW when it first came out in search of that perfect shine. This was also way before I found the Geek.

But it will conceal a lot if that's what you need. Use it as directed.

Johny B
02-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Sealants are generally very shiny. Have you tried nufinish? Sounds like something that a "shop" would give if they were trying to do shiny but not break the bank.

+1