PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss 105/501/601?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ktchristman33
02-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Hey guys, I know this has been covered many times but every other thread seems to only discuss combining DG 601 with one or the other (DG 105 or 501). There doesn't seem to be much discussion on what are the benefits of one over the other. I realize 501 is a polish and 105 is a polymer/wax, but I've read some people use swear by one and never mention the other. I've also read that some people use the 501 then apply the 601/105 combo at the end. Can anyone shed some light on what is the "best" route? Thank you for any advice you share!

rwright
02-22-2013, 01:53 AM
What are you trying to achieve? If you need a deep clean or the car is a little bit older, start with DG 501 Marine/RV Polish. Then by hand use DG 105 Total Performance Polish or DG 111 Clear Coat Polish as a last step. The benefit of using DG 601 Polish Bonding Agent mixed at a 4:1 ratio is that it flash cures the polymers so you don't have to wait 12 hours between products.

Baconz2012
02-22-2013, 03:34 AM
What are you trying to achieve? If you need a deep clean or the car is a little bit older, start with DG 501 Marine/RV Polish. Then by hand use DG 105 Total Performance Polish or DG 111 Clear Coat Polish as a last step. The benefit of using DG 601 Polish Bonding Agent mixed at a 4:1 ratio is that it flash cures the polymers so you don't have to wait 12 hours between products.

doesn't HAVE to be by hand does it?

BobbyG
02-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Hi Kevin,

Richard (rwright) convinced me to try the Duragloss line up and my only regret is not trying them sooner. :props:

Duragloss #501

Duragloss #501 is a superb 1-step product that cleans the finish removing oxidation, embedded grime and corrects minor imperfections. While it does leave some sealant behind I like to apply a dedicated product to protect all that work.

Duragloss #601 & #105

While these products can be used separately and in the order above, they can also be used together. Duragloss #601 is like a primer but it's also a chemical catalyst which reacts with Duragloss #105 bolstering its durability.

When applied together I'll squirt 5 nickle sized globs of Duragloss #105 on a 5 1/2" pad then 2 or 3 drops of Duragloss #601 in the middle of each glob. Place the pad on the surface, the speed setting to 3, and you're ready to go.

silverfox
02-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Love these products. 501 protecting my car right now. You cannot go wrong with DG products. I'd love to try their marine detail spray. I'm betting its awesome.

Shortspark
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
+1 for Duragloss!

Marc Hufnagel
02-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I too love 501, but man that does stain trim, gets under clear bra edges and turns to cement on the underside of panel sharp edges.

RTexasF
02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
I agree that DG products are nothing short of excellent. They seem to go a bit nuts with the word "polish". 501 is the sealant version of a cleaner wax.

105 has cleaners also but much less than 501 and heavier on the sealant aspect. Aquawax contains no wax but is a spray on sealant that also provides an amazing look. DG products need their own dictionary to figure out what they actually do since the names for many do not portray what is inside. I've never used the bonding agent yet had always top notch results and good durability.

BobbyG
02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Something I always try to do is learn and especially from my mistakes.

Richard (rwright) and Richy have posted their methods and success several times and the very reason I gave Duragloss products a try. Thanks Guys!! :props:

Mixing Duragloss #601 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/26536-combining-duragloss-601-105-501-a.html)

Mixing Duragloss #601 with either #105 or #501 starts a chemical reaction. It's a slow reaction but nevertheless a reaction. Combining these products results in a glossier more durable layer of protection and maybe it's just me but I feel the finish looks even glossier the 2nd day.

One nice summers day....

I mixed up about 4 ounces of this combination in a plastic squeeze bottle. I applied this combination to the entire truck and had about 1 1/2 ounces left over.. Over the course of 2 weeks what was left over sat in an enclosed bottle on my bench. What I hadn't realized, and I should have, was that the reaction continued and turned this mixture into a firm jellylike substance and was no longer usable...

Are you familiar with Epoxy? The very same principal but just a lot slower and no where near has hard...

Now I approximate the 4:1 ratio of these products on the pad and apply them directly to the finish not wasting any left over....:props:

RPPM
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
I have used 501 many times without any staining of any trim.

ktchristman33
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Rwright, in terms of what I'm trying to achieve, I'm just looking for the best looking longest lasting finish and wasn't sure if 105 or 501 would be better.

Bobby, so you're saying you like to do 501 then move into the 105/601 combo?

Also, if DG products are so good why don't they charge more for them? Just seems too good to be true.

rmagnus
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Also, if DG products are so good why don't they charge more for them? Just seems too good to be true.

Don't kick a sleeping dog!

Klasse Act
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Don't have as much time to post here as I'm about to go into work but I'm a DG convet, will post more later but listen to the wisdom already posted here, you can't go wrong!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Hoytman
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
One nice summers day....

I mixed up about 4 ounces of this combination in a plastic squeeze bottle. I applied this combination to the entire truck and had about 1 1/2 ounces left over.. Over the course of 2 weeks what was left over sat in an enclosed bottle on my bench. What I hadn't realized, and I should have, was that the reaction continued and turned this mixture into a firm jellylike substance and was no longer usable...

Are you familiar with Epoxy? The very same principal but just a lot slower and no where near has hard...

That's interesting and it's becoming apparent that this concoction can have a mind of it's own. Here's what I mean...

I received a bottle from richy with the 601/501 mixture. It performed flawlessy both in cleaning ability and alone had decent durability, about 3 months before zero beading occured. I still have half a bottle left and it's just like the day richy sent it to me. However,...

...when it arrived and I opened the bottle (inside my wifes office to smell the product) there was a minor issue. The bottle richy had sent the mixture in had a screw on black cap with a read stopper underneath the screw-on cap (great way to ship a product actually because it can't leak). Apparently the concoction had built up pressure inside and when I went to pull out the red stopper, when I almost had it completely out, it shot out of the bottle like a rocket with a mist of product flying through the air. Nothing real major as far as the mist, and no one got hurt. There was no mixture to wipe off of anything other than a dab on my pant leg and hands. Actually, I thought it was sort of funny, but I was also glad it didn't send viable amounts of liquid shooting all over the place or into my eyes. I've heard of this happening to other folks as well, and then some have had no issue with this happening. It's odd that some experience some sort of reaction, yet others don't.

My point is, either by pressure build up inside the bottles on occassion, and now with your report of it turning a funky color and hardening along with my product remaining viable a year later, this stuff seems to have a mind of it's own as far as any reaction after mixing is concerned.

The above two "events" don't really cause me to take anything away from the product, nor would I not recommend them or stop using them as a result. One thing is for certain, regardless of discoloring or not, hardening or not, "explosive" (not really, just a pop) or not, the mixture is very predictable in how well it will clean, shine, and protect.

Either way, BobbyG's suggestion of mixing on the pad will work great, or mix up only enough product in abottle that you will use in one setting is good advice and doesn't waste a good product.

Shortspark
02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Duragloss is not a cheap line, only inexpensive when compared to some others. I have been using them for a long time and despite trying a bunch of different products over the years, some much more expensive, I find myself going back to Duragloss. They are a reasonably priced line of detailing products that perform very, very well.

My car is less than a year old and it has a tri-coat German paint on it that is indestructible but very beautiful (Diamond White) and I have decided Duragloss is as good as anything to use on it (although I am dying to try Menzerna). Because it is new paint and in good order, I only need to use clay, paint prep, one coat of 105/601 and one coat of 111/601, topped 12 hours later with AquaWax. Since my car is garage kept I bet I could go a year without touching it and it would still be protected, although I never go this long between polishing. The other day I did something different and tried Collinite 845 for the first time just to experiment with it and frankly, I like Duragloss even better.