PDA

View Full Version : Another opti-coat thread....

T_velar
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
I know I know, the pros are probably sick of reading things. Anyway, I have a few questions. I recently purchased opti-coat 2.0 and had a few questions about prep work. Mostly, products to remove the oils left behind from the Menzerna polishes. Optimum recommends an IPA solution, but how do I know if it has removed all of the oils? Is there anything to look for or can I just do a couple wipe downs of IPA on each panel and assume its done a good enough job?

And as far as the appearance, I notice that most of the freshly prepped and coated cars have a beautiful shine to them. Can I expect this shine to last as long as long as good washing techniques are used and all that good stuff?

How would one know if there is a bonding problem and it starts to wear off in the future? Does it start to check like a clear coat would?

Thank you for all the help!

BobbyG
02-21-2013, 06:26 PM
After polishing with Menzerna products I wash the entire car just like I do during a regular wash. Most if not all the oils in these products are water based so washing with soap and water work very well.

Another product I like is Klean-Strip Prep-All. This is used in autobody shops to thoroughly clean the panels prior to painting. This will remove grease, oils, silicone, and most other contaminates that could affect paint adhesion..

I do use and IPA solution as recommended by Optimum for the final clean prior to applying Opti-Coat.

primo spaghetti
02-21-2013, 08:04 PM
eraser is a better IPA alternative to IPA and water...i know thats what it is, but i find it slicker and less likely to marr with the towel dragging.

as an alternative to Menz (which are awesome polishes), ive swapped out to Optimum polishes when im going to follow with opti coat. their family of polishes are underrated IMO and deserve to be up there with MEnz. It is as easy asa damp MF wipe (i use a damp MF with ONR at wash dilution) to prep the paint before OC.

I believe that Ive seen Chris from Optimum post that there have been no reported issues using Griots pre wax cleaner to prep for OC. maybe he'll chime in.

CM8 6MT
02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Griot's Pre-Wax Clenser is awesome. Smells great and cleans polishing oils like nobody's business.