PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber pads. First hand accounts needed

Pages : [1] 2

Baconz2012
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Hello my fellow autogeekers! I need a little advice on which microfiber pads to get and which compounds to use. I've been reading a lot into the new microfiber pads for DAs and just don't know what to choose. I only know of the optimum or meguiars pads. So for those who have used them and had experience with them, which do you prefer and what is your combo? I have a GG6 if that makes things a little clearer. Cheers

zmcgovern45
02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Meguiar's Cutting Pads and D300 is just a great combo.... I don't have experience with any other brands MF pads, but you can't go wrong with the Meg's setup.

RaskyR1
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I have both Meguiar's and Optimum and I prefer the Meguiar's. I'll occasionally use the Opt finishing pads for 1-step jobs on some paints though.

Megs finishing pads + Rupes + D300 = killer combo! :dblthumb2:

CM8 6MT
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I have both Meguiar's and Optimum and I prefer the Meguiar's. I'll occasionally use the Opt finishing pads for 1-step jobs on some paints though.

+1 You cant go wrong with either Meguiar's or Optimum. Two of my most favorite brands, and they are ALL AMERICAN :D

theparmachine
02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
I have Optimum and Meguiars and I prefer the Meguiars. I just got some Lake Country but have not tried them out.

I LOVE microfiber pads on my Griot's, I probably would not use it anymore without the microfiber pads. In particular I love the Meg's Finishing Wax with the Finishing Pad for a one-step, awesome results on my cars.

Mike Phillips
02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
I've used all of them in my classes and on my customer's cars...

It's hard to show every single line we carry but this Saturday we're taking all the below to the swirled-out 1991 Cadillac...

Cars for The Art of Polishing Paint Advanced Class #1 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/60992-training-cars-art-polishing-paint-advanced-class-1-a.html)

Pinnacle/LC FM Pads - Meguiar's MF System - Sonax LC MF Pads

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1768/The_Art_of_Polishing_Paint_1Class_006.jpg

The entire car is filled with holograms

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1768/The_Art_of_Polishing_Paint_1Class_003.jpg

:)

ww2717
02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I think the meguairs pads are made in china. The optimum pads are put together here in usa. If I was informed correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Baconz2012
02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
As always I can count on this awesome community for some great feedback! Appreciate the replies fellas. Looks like I'm going to probably get some meguiars for my next order. How does the d300 work compared to the m105? I've read some good and bad reviews about it. Also, do the microfiber pads correct more than their foam counter-parts?

CM8 6MT
02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
As always I can count on this awesome community for some great feedback! Appreciate the replies fellas. Looks like I'm going to probably get some meguiars for my next order. How does the d300 work compared to the m105? I've read some good and bad reviews about it. Also, do the microfiber pads correct more than their foam counter-parts?

D300+MF disc will cut & finish alot better than M105 with a foam pad. Always follow any heavy compound with a finishing polish whether you want to do that with the finishing disc & D301 or a foam pad & M205. I personally DONT like M105.

The new M101 is the new big dog on the block. If your going to be working on European paints, consider the Menzerna line. It will take you longer to correct because they use DAT abbrasives, but the finish will be the same.

68bowtie
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Your using the finishing pads not the cutting pads?

Marc08EX
02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I love my Meguiar's microfiber pads!!!

I need to try the finishing pads on the Rupes like what Chad said.

Chad, does the Rupes become unbalanced (does it wobble more) when you use pads other than the Rupes?

xseveredveganx
02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I recently used the Meguiars DA kit with my PC and had pretty good results. First time doing any polishing work and I'm pleased, to say the least.

Old Tiger
02-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I guess I will be the only guy to recommend the LC MF pads. I havent had an LC fail yet!

CM8 6MT
02-21-2013, 07:36 PM
I guess I will be the only guy to recommend the LC MF pads. I havent had an LC fail yet!

Thats good! If you can put down some awesome results with LC MF pads, more power to you my man :)

wanabe detailer
02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
used megs MF system at a Meguiars class this month. MF pads seemed to make corrections quicker than the foam pads. We used both foam and MF pads on a red 3 series BMW.