PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat REALLY soft while curing?

BTLew81
02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm curious how soft OC is while curring. I am strongly considering it for my DD come spring and have read some horror stories on insane wash marring while OC was say a week or two old.

Can anyone give some experience on this? I will of course be using a strict wash method, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

FUNX650
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't say that Opti-Coat 2.0 is exactly 'soft' while curing...

But... It takes longer than a couple of weeks for Optimum's Coatings to fully cure...
and, therefore, attain their maximum 'hardness', if you will.

In the meantime...
I suggest to not use aggressive car-washing methods.
There should be no need to do so.

:)

Bob

BTLew81
02-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks Bob! Anyone else have thoughts/experiences?

DaC
02-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Bob! Anyone else have thoughts/experiences?

In my experience I found it to be soft before curing. But it might be just me.

Joe@Superior Shine
02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
The softness drives me crazy!! As a paint polisher I want to feel a silky smooth finish when I am done. Opticoat feels gummy to me until it cures. When it's fully cured it's hard as a rock.

DaC
02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
The softness drives me crazy!! As a paint polisher I want to feel a silky smooth finish when I am done. Opticoat feels gummy to me until it cures. When it's fully cured it's hard as a rock.

Do you think using IR lights like carpro recommends to cquartz would help ?

The cure time is a factor that is make me jumping into optiguard and Finest instead although I still haven't used either.

mackey
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
i clayed it within a week after application to remove a water spot (its a dd and parked outside 24/7) and it micromarred. ended up repolishing to remove the spot and marring.

IMO it shouldnt be touched prior to the full cure time regardless how dirty it becomes as there are even warnings on the syringe to avoid washing but im hardly an authority on OC

YMMV

DRT BRD
02-22-2013, 02:20 PM

This. All of this!