PDA

View Full Version : Removing duck tape residue

Pages : [1] 2

CAD
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Hey! I am detailing a gran prix that has duck tape on the window and the trim around the window on the outer part of the door. It's not something I can scrap with a blade. What works. Any suggestions?

Tvanpool
02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
I would probably try WD40 or Goo Gone. They seem to work on most adhisives.

Detail_Dude
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
WD-40. That stuff removed duct tape adhesive from the side of my garage, where i had plastic taped prior to Hurricane Sandy. Worked like a champ.

CAD
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I will try the WD-40.

CAD
02-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I have another quick question about what's good for presoaking seats and carpets before extraction. I just use my shampoo for my extractor and spray it on. I was wanting something a little more agressive though. Thanks.

sweatthedetails
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Dont soak. just mist it on an aggitate it with a carpet brush. A little more work but it will be dry when your customer picks it up. For heavy soiled areas i just use a stronger cleaner, like Folex or Spot shot. Everything else gets Megs APC+ diluted 10-1.

arjo.reich
02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
I learned this a while ago from a woodworker...

Remove glue from tape using a little hair of the dog that bit it.

...in your case take a fresh roll of duct tape and apply it over the glue residue, press firmly and then remove it and repeat. The fresh adhesive will grab onto the old glue and pull it onto your piece of tape.

This way you can remove the old glue without using any harsh chemicals that might damage the finish.

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

EWtheDETAILER
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
The best thing I have found is the 3M Auto Eraser Drill attachment! You should be able to find them at your local Advanced Auto or Autozone parts store or a auto refinishing store for around $20.

CM8 6MT
02-21-2013, 09:15 PM
I would probably try WD40 or Goo Gone. They seem to work on most adhisives.

I agree

2BlackChevys
02-21-2013, 11:30 PM
I like the 3m eraser wheel shown above but first I would try 3m adhesive remover. Do this prior to LSP because it will remove most LSPs.

Another thing I have done is heat it up then GENTLY pry it up with a SMOOTH plastic card like a gift card.

509IS350
02-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Rubbing alcohol with a towel works well.

Johny B
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Goo Gone works well.

jhodges
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
I learned this a while ago from a woodworker...

Remove glue from tape using a little hair of the dog that bit it.

...in your case take a fresh roll of duct tape and apply it over the glue residue, press firmly and then remove it and repeat. The fresh adhesive will grab onto the old glue and pull it onto your piece of tape.

This way you can remove the old glue without using any harsh chemicals that might damage the finish.

Lucky Joe,
Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA
:whs:I use this method frequently. It also works with masking tape on sticker residue and other sticky stuff. Learned it from an ex-....... Go figure.

Wes Bremec
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
If you wanna take the more professional method I have great success using a product like menzerna top inspection. It's expensive but I believe it is a great product to strip away polishing oils and tape lines left over from the polish.

CM8 6MT
02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
If you wanna take the more professional method I have great success using a product like menzerna top inspection. It's expensive but I believe it is a great product to strip away polishing oils and tape lines left over from the polish.

I think their talking about Duck tape residue, not polishing oils or painters tape lines.

Menzerna top inspection would be too weak to actually remove something as tacky as Duck tape glue residue.