PDA

View Full Version : 4" pads on PC7424XP Questions

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
02-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Hello All,

I have a PC and was wondering if it was ok to use 4" spotbuffs with a 3.5" LC backing plate for tight spot correction? Is that the proper plate to use or is the 3" better?

Can I use this combo like I would if I had a griots 3" polisher (To use on tight spots/bumpers etc)?

Do the spotbuffs come in Low profile form?

Any special speed settings I should use with the 4" pad for polishing as opposed to the 5.5" pads I usually use? I heard they don't go well on speed 6 but would speed 3 or 4 or 5 be best for correction work?

Finally, would it be worth it just to get a griots 3" or have you guys found that the 4" spotbuffs do a good job as well?

BTW I am not talking about the spotbuff extender attachment, just the backing plate/spot buff.

Thanks,
Drew:xyxthumbs:

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I wouldnt get the 3" Griots. Ive heard it doesnt have enough torque.

Im using a 3.5 LC plate with 4" Meguiar's pads on speed 5. Works great on small panels. I think you can get the 4" LC HydroTech's but the reason I swayed away from those is because many users were reporting that they were falling apart after a few uses.

Johny B
02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
I wouldnt get the 3" Griots. Ive heard it doesnt have enough torque.

Im using a 3.5 LC plate with 4" Meguiar's pads on speed 5. Works great on small panels. I think you can get the 4" LC HydroTech's but the reason I swayed away from those is because many users were reporting that they were falling apart after a few uses.

Well said.

spiralout462
02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I use 4" LC pads and a LC 3.5" backing plate quite often on my PCXP. I do like the hydrotechs a little better than the CCS spot buff. I haven't seen any "low profile" 4" pads, probably because the PC has no trouble at all spinning the smaller pad. I use a speed setting around 4 for spot correction usually. I definately wouldn't buy a seperate machine for them.

Evan.J
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
I have used Meg's 4inch pads on my G110v2 and I have nothing but great results with that combo for tight spots.

swanicyouth
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
For 4" pads I really like these CG self centering pads. You use them with a 3" plate, and the plate perfectly countersinks a into the pads. They act very low profile - as the BP sinks into the pad. This helps with a PC, and they spin well.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/21/y6abubuh.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/21/y4umanyv.jpg

I also have 3" Hydro Tech pads. They are not the low profile ones. They are too tall to use with a PC in my experience. They work ok, but there is a lot of energy absorbed by their "high profile" and the machine "skips" when spinning until they are saturated with product IME. However, at 3", they are handy.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/21/juvederu.jpg

WRXINXS
02-20-2013, 08:18 PM
I heard that the griots may not have enought torque for actual "correction"? The 4" on the PC have correction power correct?

Also, I can use the 4" on small panels or sections of panels not just for spot correction. I was just unsure because the description of the 4" talk mainly about spot correction.

Thanks for the helpful advise so far.

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
-GG6
-3.5 LC plate
-4" Meguiar's Pad
-CM8 behind the DA :)

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/Diabolic/image_zpsf56ce6fc.jpg

I heard that the griots may not have enought torque for actual "correction"? The 4" on the PC have correction power correct?

Also, I can use the 4" on small panels or sections of panels not just for spot correction. I was just unsure because the description of the 4" talk mainly about spot correction.

4" pads are fine, I use them for small panels such as fenders, bumpers etc.

swanicyouth
02-20-2013, 08:33 PM

You could buff out the whole car w/ 4" pads if you want to. It would just take longer. It doesn't have to be for "spot correction", but, for larger areas like a hood its much quicker and more efficient to use a larger pad IMHO.

2BlackChevys
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
I have used a 3.5" BP on my PC7424XP with 4" Hexlogic pads and it works great.

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
You could buff out the whole car w/ 4" pads if you want to. It would just take longer. It doesn't have to be for "spot correction", but, for larger areas like a hood its much quicker and more efficient to use a larger pad IMHO.

+1

WRXINXS
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
OK, thanks for the help and suggestions guys (And the nice pics Swanic and CM8). I guess I have been using them right (Fenders/Bumpers etc) And It did seem to have good correction power which I have heard the Griots 3" does not.

Infiniti
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
For 4" pads I really like these CG self centering pads. You use them with a 3" plate, and the plate perfectly countersinks a into the pads. They act very low profile - as the BP sinks into the pad. This helps with a PC, and they spin well.

Did you get the 3" backing plate from CG that also has the da and drill attachment? If someone didn't want to spend $60 for the DA power system they could get that for $16.45.

VroomVroom
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I wish I could add value here, but I'll just echo everything posted by CM8 6MT. :)

I actually love 4" pads and the extra bit of oomph they provide on the PC. I've done whole cars with them, and honestly haven't found a huge increase in time associated with the effort....especially in cases where I'd otherwise be making multiple passes when using larger pads. And then, when you come to the tight spots, the ability to attack them without worry brings a goofy smile.

CM8 6MT
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
I wish I could add value here, but I'll just echo everything posted by CM8 6MT. :)

I actually love 4" pads and the extra bit of oomph they provide on the PC. I've done whole cars with them, and honestly haven't found a huge increase in time associated with the effort....especially in cases where I'd otherwise be making multiple passes when using larger pads. And then, when you come to the tight spots, the ability to attack them without worry brings a goofy smile.

I agree with Vroom, depending on how the panels are shaped on certain cars, its a little hard to work with a 5.5 or 6.5 pad.