PDA

View Full Version : Safe to store wax in the fridge?

Crazy Diamond
02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
What is a safe temp to store wax in the fridge? Is 36 degrees too cold?

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2013, 12:54 PM
That should be fine. Just don't let your kids use it on their sandwich.

mwoolfso
02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Based on everything I have read (and recall), the key to maximizing shelf life is maintaining constant temperature with no extreme swings. In general anywhere between 50-70 degrees would be fine. Anything more or less destabilizes the product over time; solvent evaporation and the like.

A wine cabinet where you can maintain humidity and temperature would be good enough.

Crazy Diamond
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
I live in Florida and was just curious if I should leave them in the cabinets in the garage during the summer months or put them in the fridge, but after reading that extreme temp changes are not good, not sure what would be the best way to go.

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2013, 01:30 PM
I live in Florida and was just curious if I should leave them in the cabinets in the garage during the summer months or put them in the fridge, but after reading that extreme temp changes are not good, not sure what would be the best way to go.

What are we talking about, paste waxes? Liquid? The general concern with high temperatures would be evaporation of solvents (i.e., the wax would dry out). IMO temperature cycling in and of itself shouldn't really be an issue, but that can drive "breathing" of the air in the container which could cause loss of volatile ingredients or introduction of airborne contaminants (like moisture). I can't really think of any negative of low temperature storage other than the thermal cycling when you take it out to use it.

ScottB
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
my wifey said NO NO to any chemicals in the fridge. So a dark enclosed cabinet away from heat seems to work well also.

BradsDetailing
02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
I just keep mine in the house

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
I just keep mine in the house

I do the same :D

Audi X2
02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Autogeek should develop and sell a cool looking refrigerator similar to the Red Bull/Monster Energy type product with the clear front door.
It could be the mini size like below for easier placement in the garage and of course could hold a cold beverage or too as well!
A cool marketing concept with a great way to display the products while being stored at optimal temperature for future use.

http://www.thebeverageworks.com/images/img-baby-cooler.jpg

Anthony@zerboautoworks
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Autogeek should develop and sell a cool looking refrigerator similar to the Red Bull/Monster Energy type product with the clear front door.
It could be the mini size like below for easier placement in the garage and of course could hold a cold beverage or too as well!
A cool marketing concept with a great way to display the products while being stored at optimal temperature for future use.

http://www.thebeverageworks.com/images/img-baby-cooler.jpg

Agreed!

Sent from my PG86100 using AG Online

ntwillie1
02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
my favorite wax is s100. I live in the north east. I leave it in the garage all the time summer/winter. the temp in my garage varies from extreme cold to warm. I have never had an issue with my wax. I just detailed my car last week and applied two coats of s100 and it performed the same as it does in the summer. that jar I used i have owned for over a year so it went from last winter to this past summer to the current winter. the only thing I noticed was that the wax itself was a little broken but it could be because I'm near the bottom. I recall that being the case on the previous jar i owned as well which didn't go through this hot cold temperature cycle.

Andr3wilson
02-21-2013, 02:16 PM
I have all my LSPs at 60 degrees in a wine cooler. True waxes can get cold and any freeze no issues. It's only when stuff gets hot and melts its ruined.

runrun411
02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
I have all my LSPs at 60 degrees in a wine cooler. True waxes can get cold and any freeze no issues. It's only when stuff gets hot and melts its ruined.

I thought about doing the same thing. I just don't want my wife to drink the ONR by mistake. LOL

BradsDetailing
02-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Mmmm Koolaid

I'm thinking about going to a local vinyl decal shop and getting my mini fridge covered in my logo. It's bright orange right now lol

KenR
02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Maybe I can build a walk in humidor for my cigars and waxes.

:pc7424: