PDA

View Full Version : ONR Clay Lube caused Ultra-Poly Clay bar to deteriorate

Pages : [1] 2

veilsideLGD
02-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Just like the title stated. I used a diluted ONR as a clay lube and it caused my Pinnacle Ultra-Poly clay bar to deteriorate while being used on the car. The clay started to leave deposits as if it was coming apart. Anyone had this happen to them too?

CM8 6MT
02-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Awww man sorry to hear that happened. Personally I dont dillute ONR for clay lube. I just buy a dedicated QD product. No issues, even when mixing QD & Clay Bar brands.

AutowerxDetailing
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
I exclusively use ONR diluted to clay lube and Meg's fine clay. I have never experienced this problem.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

CM8 6MT
02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
I exclusively use ONR diluted to clay lube and Meg's fine clay. I have never experienced this problem.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

Do you find it better than regular QD? If so at what dillution ratio?

quiksilver_ben3
02-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Have you tried kneading the clay an extra bit? Sometimes excess lube can cause it to crumble or fall apart.

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Have you tried kneading the clay an extra bit? Sometimes excess lube can cause it to crumble or fall apart.

Really? You had that happen to you? You would figure the more lube, the better. My Clay gets SOAKED in QD solution, after im done I dont even knead it or anything just store back into its Meguiar's plastic clay box. Im using Mother's Showtime as a clay lube. Just depends on the quality of products you are using.

AutowerxDetailing
02-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Do you find it better than regular QD? If so at what dillution ratio?

Dilution ratio I use is 2 or 3 oz per gallon. It works just as well as the dedicated Meg's QD IMHO. I use a lot of lube when I clay. I also knead the clay when I am finished, roll it into a ball and coat it liberally with clay lube before storing in the box. I find this keeps the clay in better condition for longer and prevents it from drying out and crumbling.

ShaunD
02-20-2013, 12:20 AM
I've had this happen but usually after using the clay many times and or using Black Fire clay cleaner/extender. Did you mix the onr as recommended for lube? One cap full(1/2 ounce) to 32 ounces. Try rinsing the clay in water and kneading it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Dilution ratio I use is 2 or 3 oz per gallon. It works just as well as the dedicated Meg's QD IMHO. I use a lot of lube when I clay. I also knead the clay when I am finished, roll it into a ball and coat it liberally with clay lube before storing in the box. I find this keeps the clay in better condition for longer and prevents it from drying out and crumbling.

^^^ Could not of said it better myself. This is EXACTLY what I do. Except sometimes im in a rush and forget to spray it with QD before storing in its container.

Still cant see how "excessive" QD solution would cause a clay bar to crumble like Quiksilver stated.

ShaunD
02-20-2013, 12:36 AM
What ever cleaners are used in QDs and ONR could cause it.

veilsideLGD
02-20-2013, 01:42 AM
I've had this happen but usually after using the clay many times and or using Black Fire clay cleaner/extender. Did you mix the onr as recommended for lube? One cap full(1/2 ounce) to 32 ounces. Try rinsing the clay in water and kneading it.

I used the Blackfire Clay Extender...Ugh now I know why :( Luckily I have another Poly Clay. I noticed the ONR diluted is not as slick as the Pinnacle Clay Lubricant. Anyone notice the lack of slickness with ONR?

quiksilver_ben3
02-20-2013, 01:49 AM
Really? You had that happen to you? You would figure the more lube, the better. My Clay gets SOAKED in QD solution, after im done I dont even knead it or anything just store back into its Meguiar's plastic clay box. Im using Mother's Showtime as a clay lube. Just depends on the quality of products you are using.

Im thinking the main issue being lube preventing the clay to stick to its self.

I have seen when inspecting my clay after claying a section, little cracks in the clay. If i don't knead extra after that section. It seems to fall apart at the edges.
I've also noticed while folding edge to edge the clay will crack at the fold and not simply fold over and blend in like caly should.

I haven't experienced this issue in a while now though. The last time was when my father was helping me clay and was using way too much Last Touch 1:1. This was with Meguiars Mild Blue clay. I think the more grainy...... consrtuction alos had a negitive effect. (Easier to break apart?)

RPPM
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I am not a big fan of Pinnacle Clay. It always crumbles on me. I usually use Meguiars Clay w/o issue.

CM8 6MT
02-20-2013, 12:59 PM
I am not a big fan of Pinnacle Clay. It always crumbles on me. I usually use Meguiars Clay w/o issue.

Ive used a year old Megs clay, took it out of its container, sprayed with QD and performed like it was new.

Blue Magic clay is also good stuff.

weekendwarrior
02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
I tried ONR as clay lube, had bad issues with clar marring, used with Meg's detailer clay, mothers yellow clay and the Amazon clay , I used Megs QD and Mothers with no issues and same bars. TRied to make a few batches of ONR using their instructions thinking I mixed it wrong, used distilled water, no luck with it.