PDA

View Full Version : Headlight help!

T0RCH3D
02-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Plan on tackling these soon on my mustang cobra. I have restored a few headlights before but none to this caliber. Then lenses aren't too oxidized but the spider cracking on the sides of the headlights are pretty severe. My plan is tape them off clean and use NanoSkin Auto Scrubber on them to create a smooth surface to work with.. Then I am go to wet sand them starting with 600 then 1000, 1500, 2000, and lastly 2500. Then machine polish with M105 and M205 followed by Blackfire Wet Diamond (cured) topped with 845.

Will I be able to do the job with that approach? Anything I should do different?

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp205/nickk046/DSC07172.jpg

FFguy808
02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
On headlights, I personally used only 2000 grit sandpaper to remove all waterspots and contaminants on the headlights sanding horizontal directions only then follow it up with 3000 grit using vertical directions to smooth out sanding marks created by the 2000 grit. It makes the sanding marks easier to polish out so the lens are a lot cleaner with headlights ON. I seal headlights with opti-coat for a long protection. 20cc opti-coat can go a long way on using it on headlights only, believe me:dblthumb2:

Shane731
02-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Honestly, I'd just replace them. You can get new ones from Rock Auto Parts for less than $100 for both (plus shipping).

RockAuto Parts Catalog (http://www.rockauto.com)

FFguy808
02-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Its worth trying to restore them, just 30 mins, they will look a lot better

I've used Powerlock sealant before and longest they've last was about 3-5 months which was not bad

T0RCH3D
02-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I am just curious about the cracking in the pics, I know polishing wont get that out. And I know 2000 grit will get them out either.

g35_coupe
02-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I've never used the auto scrubber before but 600 should be aggressive enough. It does look like it's at that pesky stage where a lot of the UV coating is still there but you have crazing or moderate cracking that ruins the look .

rmagnus
02-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Then lenses aren't too oxidized but the spider cracking on the sides of the headlights are pretty severe. My plan is tape them off clean and use NanoSkin Auto Scrubber on them to create a smooth surface to work with.. Then I am go to wet sand them starting with 600 then 1000, 1500, 2000, and lastly 2500. Then machine polish with M105 and M205 followed by Blackfire Wet Diamond (cured) topped with 845.

1st how is the hood holding up?

You mentioned spider cracking, just how deep are the cracks? You're planning on doing too many steps. 1500 should be as aggressive as you need to go ending with 2500 then M205 and a wool pad. As someone suggested $100 for 2 brand new lenses might be the way to go. Otherwise once you've polished the lenses you'll need to apply some UV protection.

T0RCH3D
02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
The hood is holding up very well! After applying wax and everything it looks damn good. I am very happy with it and glad I completed the project myself as I learned a lot. And I thank you again for your help!

As for my next project I have been hearing mixed reviews on which grit to start with. I feel I will get no correction with starting at such a high grit?

Also, being as I do not have opti-coat as of yet will blackfire topped with 845 do the trick?

CM8 6MT
02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
1st how is the hood holding up?

You mentioned spider cracking, just how deep are the cracks? You're planning on doing too many steps. 1500 should be as aggressive as you need to go ending with 2500 then M205 and a wool pad. As someone suggested $100 for 2 brand new lenses might be the way to go. Otherwise once you've polished the lenses you'll need to apply some UV protection.

^^^ I agree

rmagnus
02-19-2013, 11:02 PM
The hood is holding up very well! After applying wax and everything it looks damn good. I am very happy with it and glad I completed the project myself as I learned a lot. And I thank you again for your help!

As for my next project I have been hearing mixed reviews on which grit to start with. I feel I will get no correction with starting at such a high grit?

Also, being as I do not have opti-coat as of yet will blackfire topped with 845 do the trick?

Absolutely I thought you did a great job on the hood.

Next the lights. 1500 is pretty strong buy if you want go to 1000 just don't use a lot of pressure. For $20 or so you can buy a headlight kit like Meguiars. BF or Col845 are fine for wax but you need better UV protection or you'll br polishing those lights monthly.

There is an interesting thread here about using Minwax Urethane Spar and mineral spirits to wipe on a protective coating. It seems to be working and protection is lasting over a year.

Bottom line is replacements are available.

weeecho
02-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I usually do

3M rubbing compound
Sealing with wax or now with power lock

by hand with mf

T0RCH3D
02-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Absolutely I thought you did a great job on the hood.

Next the lights. 1500 is pretty strong buy if you want go to 1000 just don't use a lot of pressure. For $20 or so you can buy a headlight kit like Meguiars. BF or Col845 are fine for wax but you need better UV protection or you'll br polishing those lights monthly.

There is an interesting thread here about using Minwax Urethane Spar and mineral spirits to wipe on a protective coating. It seems to be working and protection is lasting over a year.

Bottom line is replacements are available.

I have replacements already, I just want to make the OEM headlights a little nicer for re-sale and to practice for future reference. I did my headlights on my DD and they came out perfect, but they were only oxidized and did not have the cracking near the corner amber markers.

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Then machine polish with M105 and M205 followed by Blackfire Wet Diamond (cured) topped with 845.

Those LSP's will do very little to protect your restored lenses. As other members have noted , use Opti-Coat or Spar urethane, or the about-to-be-released Opti-Lens.

T0RCH3D
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I did the headlights and sealed with spar urethane, they look great and got most of the cracking out of the headlight. Did not take pictures yet as it got dark but I will try and take pictures soon.