PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum wheel polish help

RhetoricMixes
02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I had some trouble with some wheels this weekend and wanted to see if anyone could chime in on what I could have done to improve the wheels even more. The problem i was having was not cleaning but polishing them.

The client told me they were heritage classic wheels and they were non coated aluminum so first thing i did after the initial cleaning was take a microfiber cloth and some Mothers aluminum polish and did a test spot. I got no black residue even when sufficient elbow grease was used so that told me right there that these wheels must be coated.

I then decided to use some Optimum Compound II to remove the fine scratches that were present in the wheel and no improvement. So next step was to cut up some white LC pads I had and use them with Optimum Hyper Polish by hand and then again no improvement. What in the heck did i do wrong that those fine scratches wouldnt come out?

Here is a before of the wheel, a little dull and dirty
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/RhetoricMixes/Detail%20Jobs/Carlos%20Ostos%20Wheel%20Polish/null_zpsaa31f1b2.jpg

And here is the wheel after hand polishing by hand with Optimum Hyper Polish and a cut up white LC pad. I also sealed the wheels with two coats of Blackfire Crystal Seal. Tires were dressed with UTTGP
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/RhetoricMixes/Detail%20Jobs/Carlos%20Ostos%20Wheel%20Polish/null_zps1cce462b.jpg

Any thoughts?

rmagnus
02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Flitz and their ball buffer then use a corded drill. Done you'll never look back and they will look great. Flitz does not contain any abrasives. Abrasives can scratch.

Check out the demo Mike did of the product. Just do a search and you'll find it.

ScottB
02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
The newer Challengers come with these wheels and they are indeed clearcoated. It has a bit of a milky appearance from the OEM clearcoat and cannot be removed. You can polish with paint polish and protect but up close they will look a little milky not quite a true uncoated high polish look.

RhetoricMixes
02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
The newer Challengers come with these wheels and they are indeed clearcoated. It has a bit of a milky appearance from the OEM clearcoat and cannot be removed. You can polish with paint polish and protect but up close they will look a little milky not quite a true uncoated high polish look.

That would drive me nuts if I had wheels like that! He said from the factory theyre around $530/piece. So theres nothing else i could have done so improve their gloss?

forrest@mothers
02-19-2013, 08:24 PM
If the micro scratches are in the aluminum (under the clear coat), no amount of work on the clear will make them look better.

ihaveacamaro
02-19-2013, 08:32 PM
If the micro scratches are in the aluminum (under the clear coat), no amount of work on the clear will make them look better.

yup, and unfortunately, some factory wheels come with scratches in the aluminum. What a shame.

RhetoricMixes
02-19-2013, 10:16 PM

Thats I knew but just wanted to make sure I was doing the right things. Thanks.

hoyt66
02-20-2013, 05:42 AM
I have the same wheels. I spent some time with a mothers power ball trying different componds and polish. Some improvement but no real correction as stated above, the micro scratches are in the aluminum underneath the cc.