PDA

View Full Version : What to use on RAV4 door trim??

pricha00
05-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I own a 06 Rav4 and I was wondering what I should use on the plastic trim that makes up the frame around the door windows. I tried Stoners Trim Shine and it seems to be streaky. I can't spray it on the surface so I put it on a terry cloth towel and wiped the product on. If you look closely at the finish it appears uneven. Any suggestions for a better product to use. Do I have to wait for the Trim Shine to disappear first?

Thanks, Pat.

supercharged
05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I own a 06 Rav4 and I was wondering what I should use on the plastic trim that makes up the frame around the door windows. I tried Stoners Trim Shine and it seems to be streaky. I can't spray it on the surface so I put it on a terry cloth towel and wiped the product on. If you look closely at the finish it appears uneven. Any suggestions for a better product to use. Do I have to wait for the Trim Shine to disappear first?

Thanks, Pat.
I never used Stoners Trim Shine. 303 protectant always worked for me.

sparkie
05-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks, Pat.
I'm not sure the kind of plastic you have, check out this review I done on DG #271. So far it has not let me down.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/5221-review-day-one-duragloss-271-a.html

pricha00
05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Its that kind of shiny and smooth plastic with no real texture to it. The mirrors and such that have the regular type of granular plastic look OK. I will perhaps try out the 303 because I can find that one fairly easily at Canadian Tire. Most of the more exotic chemicals are mail order only around here.

Thanks, Pat.

joe.p
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Sparkie,don't forget this one :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3794-test-joe-p.html

sparkie
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Sparkie,don't forget this one :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3794-test-joe-p.html
You're right Joe.

NorahCRV
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
You might also try p/m'ing FloridaNative as she has a Rav4 & has done some VERY nice work! :)

sparkie
05-08-2007, 09:53 PM
You know you can use wax (Carnauba wax like MaxWax or Souveran) on smooth plastic and new rubber?
Not cleaner wax (NXT) they will stain.

pricha00
05-10-2007, 02:29 PM
So I guess the next question is how to I get this stuff off of the plastic now. Should I just wait for it to naturally dissolve and break down or would something like Simple Green do the trick for me. Thanks for all the replies, Pat.

joe.p
05-10-2007, 03:31 PM
So I guess the next question is how to I get this stuff off of the plastic now. Should I just wait for it to naturally dissolve and break down or would something like Simple Green do the trick for me. Thanks for all the replies, Pat.
Whatever you don't use simplegreen on the trim ..it definately will dry out the plastic and give a gray appearence..with reg washings it should wear off soon then start with a clean slate. use a mild soap and water