PDA

View Full Version : Winter Washing

DrRon
02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Am I doing damage to my new Outback paint using the local self-wash high pressure wand?

I'm in Denver and come back from the mountains with road dirt, salt and chemicals on it.
I did a good detailing 7 months ago and it's ready for a re-do, but it's too cold now.
I'm trying not to wipe the surface until it's warm enough to get the hose and bucket out.
I try to wash the undercarriage as much as I can reach.
It really hurts to see a couple of road rock dings on the front....

BobbyG
02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
It's better than leaving all that sand, salt, and chemicals sitting on the paint...:props:

Try mixing tome hot water and your soap in a bucket and take it with you to the car wash. Simply use their water for rinsing....:dblthumb2:

DaHen
02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Be sure not to let the tip of the high pressure wand get to close to the surface of the paint. I've seen people blast the paint off the vehicle with those wands.

Johny B
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
It's better than leaving all that sand, salt, and chemicals sitting on the paint...:props:

Try mixing tome hot water and your soap in a bucket and take it with you to the car wash. Simply use their water for rinsing....:dblthumb2:

+1

Kevin Cullen
02-18-2013, 08:45 PM
I have been using the local wand wash all winter, they are actually not too bad because this one has a foam spray gun, boars hair brushes and hot air drying hoses. I put on Duragloss last fall and do.a spray down with Aquawax when I get home. I am quite impressed with the Duragloss since wand washes use quite harsh chemicals since no one wants to foam brush or work at getting their unit clean. Just spray and go. The Duragloss is still beading and holding up. Pretty tough stuff.

If you are concerned do.as Bobby has suggested and take your own two bucket soap solution. Just look the other way if the owner looks at you as he may be concerned that he is losing paid time for the bay. :)

ihaveacamaro
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Someone else recently posted this video, but use this wash! The only automatic wash I would go through if I had the choice lol skip a few minutes in the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEucVVy4HoM]Canon 60D test. Jag XKR to the car wash. I hate the car wash. - YouTube[/video]