PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Chicago Electric Platinum 6" DA from Harbor Freight

Pages : [1] 2 3

MattGraf
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Curious to see if anybody has any experience with this polisher? Ultimately I want a flex3401, however I just got engaged last week which obviously cost me a hefty chunk of change and now I have a wedding to plan/pay for...I don't want to shell out the money for the flex right now but I need a good DA. I had decided on the Griot's Garage 6" until I stumbled across the one at harbor frieght which only costs $59.99. I don't want to waste the money if this polisher sucks but if it's any good I think I'll settle for it for now until I decide to buy the flex. Any help is much appreciated.

Rockeey
02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I own the Harbor Freight DA. I have already put a lot of hours on it and have no complaints. I use the Lake Country 5.5" low profile pads and get excellent correction results. It has plenty of power.

Look for a coupon. You can probably find one that will give you 10% or 20% off.

JSou
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I have 2 for my carpet attachments and one for my 4" pads. They work for the money.

Pureshine
02-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I have not but make sure you get the 2 year replacement warranty for $10. I got it for the compressor I bought from them and came in handy.
Todd

DetailedByPrecision
02-19-2013, 02:48 AM
I just bought one last week at HF for 60 with a 1 yr warranty for 11. I used it for about 5 hours so far with various pads on a honda accord, and it works very efficiently compared to other DA's.

tuscarora dave
02-19-2013, 08:16 AM
I've been using one since the week after Thanksgiving. I replaced the backing plate with a lightweight 3M 5" backing plate with the holes in it. I mainly use microfiber cutting discs with it but do use foam pads and or carpet scrubbing brushes on it from time to time.

It has plenty of power and does everything I need it to do. It does have a rather annoying stiff electrical cord on it but that hasn't really been much of an issue for me or my helpers. Plan on getting a better backing plate for it and you can't really go wrong for the money.

MikeN
02-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Might have to pick one of these up myself for doing carpets. The paler always has the 20% off coupon so might not be a bad idea to have an extra on hand

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

MattGraf
02-19-2013, 01:42 PM
I picked one up last night, I printed out a 20% off coupon so it only ran me $48 plus tax and I bought the one year replacement warranty for $5.99. I figure even if it doesn't work like the big name ones you can't beat the price. I need good pads for it, I ended up buying a cutting, polishing and finishing pad from HF until my LC pads arrive. I am going to wait to correct my hummer (it's black) until the LC pads arrive but I'm going to try the HF (brand name is warrior) pads tonight on my winter beater car which is a 98 cavalier with pretty substansial swirls and RIDS. If the pads work well I'm going to grab a few more and try them on the hummer. They were only $3.99 each so I figure if they don't work I'm not out much money and if they inflict more damage to the paint quite frankly I just don't care because I only paid $600 for the car. I'll have an update later tonight on the polisher/pad combo. i plan to use M105 and M205 then top it off with blacklight or possibly just throw a coat of 845 on it. Again, I'm not worried about a full correction on this car, it's basically a guinea pig to see what does and does not work.

oejeffrey
02-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Honestly I am thinking about picking up a HF polisher as a starter tool to see how much improvement/damage I can do. Maybe swing by a junkyard & pick up a hood or panel....something like that.
That is my plan anyway.

Rockeey
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
I ended up buying a cutting, polishing and finishing pad from HF until my LC pads arrive. I am going to wait to correct my hummer (it's black) until the LC pads arrive but I'm going to try the HF (brand name is warrior) pads tonight on my winter beater car which is a 98 cavalier with pretty substansial swirls and RIDS. If the pads work well I'm going to grab a few more and try them on the hummer. They were only $3.99 each

The HF pads are actually a decent pad except the velcro material on the back of them does not extend to the edge. What happens then is the backing plate will come into contact with the foam part of pad on the backside when you are moving over a rounded panel and the pad starts to come apart. I had these little orange foam balls flying over the garage at one point before I realized what was going on. Now, I just use them on the rotary. Unless you have a backing plate that is the exact circumference (or smaller) as the velcro material on the back of the pad, it is likely the same thing will happen.

cgrosso
03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
I picked one up last night, I printed out a 20% off coupon so it only ran me $48 plus tax and I bought the one year replacement warranty for $5.99. I figure even if it doesn't work like the big name ones you can't beat the price. I need good pads for it, I ended up buying a cutting, polishing and finishing pad from HF until my LC pads arrive. I am going to wait to correct my hummer (it's black) until the LC pads arrive but I'm going to try the HF (brand name is warrior) pads tonight on my winter beater car which is a 98 cavalier with pretty substansial swirls and RIDS. If the pads work well I'm going to grab a few more and try them on the hummer. They were only $3.99 each so I figure if they don't work I'm not out much money and if they inflict more damage to the paint quite frankly I just don't care because I only paid $600 for the car. I'll have an update later tonight on the polisher/pad combo. i plan to use M105 and M205 then top it off with blacklight or possibly just throw a coat of 845 on it. Again, I'm not worried about a full correction on this car, it's basically a guinea pig to see what does and does not work.

i was wondering how the HF pads work also? i just picked some up along with the chicago da . did you try them out by chance?:buffing:

Antihero47
03-16-2013, 11:37 PM
i was wondering how the HF pads work also? i just picked some up along with the chicago da . did you try them out by chance?:buffing:

I am currently using the HF polisher and used the HF pads. Everything he says is correct. It comes with a 6" backing plate and it will rip the pads up because the loop part is 5". Some of my results with the HB polisher and pads with M105 and 205 is here...

HB polisher and pads results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/55905-harbor-freight-da-polisher-new-15.html#post823729)

I've since moved on to a 5" chemical guys backing plate and chemical guys microfiber cutting and polishing pads (F1 and F2). I still use the black harbor freight finishing pad on the CG 5" backing plate to apply LSP (wax). Works great.

TroyM
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
I know this may be irrelevant, but why not get the Griot's Garage 6" Orbital, I just got one on sale from their website for 15% off, came in at $118.99!

Smoothy
03-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Has anyone ever returned their unit to Harbor Freight under the extended warranty? Do they just replace it with a new one? I'm curious to know if they take care of you or give you a hard time.

WRXINXS
03-17-2013, 06:42 AM
I know this may be irrelevant, but why not get the Griot's Garage 6" Orbital, I just got one on sale from their website for 15% off, came in at $118.99!

Yep I just used the 15% coupon code to get a griots 3" HD (25ft cord). Free shipping too!