PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold for polishing?

Silverstone
02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I've been having some problems getting a hood shined up and I was thinking about how cold it's been in the garage lately and how maybe that's having an effect. Normally I work in the spring/summer but I just got a new to me car that's pretty badly oxidized. The garage temps have been in the 50's and the polishes I'm using are Menzerna intensive and Megs 105. So how cold is too cold, and are temps in the 50's OK?

Finemess
02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
I have a propane heater I fire up when its cold, makes the garage 70* in no time.

CM8 6MT
02-18-2013, 04:24 PM
That temperature range is fine. However just be aware that any product will "act" different vs working in a different temperature range.

You have to learn how to adapt to those changes on the fly. A product might dry up quicker than usual. This is why detailers from different regions or countries have different results with a particular product.

spiralout462
02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Just because the garage is 50 degrees doesn't mean the body panels are that temperature. I treat polishes and wax like paint, and like to work in between 50 and 80 degrees. Of course that would happen in a perfect world.

rlloyd
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I was able to polish in 30-35º weather a few weeks ago. The hardest part for me was my hands and the DA power cord was stiff due to the cold. I was hard to tell if the polish was freezing or drying properly but it did work.
Can't wait for a 50º day so I can do then entire car.

Silverstone
02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Just because the garage is 50 degrees doesn't mean the body panels are that temperature. I treat polishes and wax like paint, and like to work in between 50 and 80 degrees. Of course that would happen in a perfect world.

Actually if the air is 50 degrees the metal body has to be 50 degrees. It's a common misconception that metal is colder. It feels colder to the touch based on the differences between how fast metal draws heat away from your skin and how fast air pulls it away, which is much slower.

Thanks guys, it's good to know that my troubles aren't cold based. Then again I have nothing to blame it on now. LOL

You have to learn how to adapt to those changes on the fly. A product might dry up quicker than usual. This is why detailers from different regions or countries have different results with a particular product.

That's a good point. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before. It reminds me of discussing shocks and springs with people on the web. Saying a particular setup rides comfortably in Florida doesn't mean it will here in NY.

1953hogan
02-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Yup, I learned that the hard way. Had my garage heated to 65 degrees and put on some UPPP. Could not understand why I had such a difficult time getting it off until I learned that my panels were much colder than the air temperature. So, now I heat up the garage and then wait a while before starting to work.

Johny B
02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Yup, I learned that the hard way. Had my garage heated to 65 degrees and put on some UPPP. Could not understand why I had such a difficult time getting it off until I learned that my panels were much colder than the air temperature. So, now I heat up the garage and then wait a while before starting to work.

:iagree: