PDA

View Full Version : Buffing/Polishing speeds

bjones
02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I just picked up a PC7424lx a few orange pads, red pad, and gelcoat labs fine cut polish and some all marine surface sealant. I also have 3m cleaner wax and 3m color/gloss restorer.

My boat is 6 yrs old and is stored outside, it is dark blue and shows a fair amount of chalk and swirl marks from the last compound job I had someone do a 1yr or so ago.
My thoughts are to test the cleaner wax and see how it turns out before deciding which direction to go(Hopefully not rotary with wool).

What speeds on the PC should I be using with these products?

Thanks for any advise

2BlackChevys
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm sure others will chime in but 5 seems to be a safe and comfortable speed.

WAXOFF
02-19-2013, 05:49 AM
I would order some of the boat waxes from Collinite.

BillE
02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
For gel-coats (etc), I usually stop at 5 1/2, with 5 being the 'most comfortable.'

Approaching speed '6' (to me) just seems to be to much heat generated.

Bill

bjones
02-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the input.

For some reason I was thinking much slower.

So a 5 setting will be good for the color restorer and poilish, just a different pad?

BillE
02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the input.

For some reason I was thinking much slower.

So a 5 setting will be good for the color restorer and poilish, just a different pad?

This is why you want to do a 'test spot'. If (for conversations sake) you used an orange pad at various speeds, and you didn't achieve the results you were after...step up to a 'more aggressive pad' and try again. If the product you are using doesn't work as you want, stepping up to a (again) more aggressive product and dropping back to a LESS aggressive pad.

Follow me?

I'll be totally honest with ya, gel-coat can be a bear at times. Some surfaces will just pop, whereas others just fight you.

Good luck...

Bill

Dougw4355
02-20-2013, 10:07 AM
I just picked up a PC7424lx a few orange pads, red pad, and gelcoat labs fine cut polish and some all marine surface sealant. I also have 3m cleaner wax and 3m color/gloss restorer.

My boat is 6 yrs old and is stored outside, it is dark blue and shows a fair amount of chalk and swirl marks from the last compound job I had someone do a 1yr or so ago.
My thoughts are to test the cleaner wax and see how it turns out before deciding which direction to go(Hopefully not rotary with wool).

What speeds on the PC should I be using with these products?

Thanks for any advise

Maybe this will help....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html