PDA

View Full Version : Water etching on rearview mirrors

BatonRougeMX5
02-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi all, I have some water etching on my exterior mirrors. Would I treat this the same as the other glass on the car or is there some other product specific to mirrors? The mirrors are on a Miata so the housing is fairly small; going to be tough getting any kind of pad in there for machine aided work.

Feed back please and Thanks!

Dr_Pain
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi all, I have some water etching on my exterior mirrors. Would I treat this the same as the other glass on the car or is there some other product specific to mirrors? The mirrors are on a Miata so the housing is fairly small; going to be tough getting any kind of pad in there for machine aided work.

Feed back please and Thanks!

Water spots? or etching?

You may have some luck with claying the mirror and then using vinegar to clean water spots, but etching you will have to polish out (by hand as you pointed out the opening size)

I've seen a couple of articles on water spots. You may find some useful home based remedies. Just use the search function above :)

Shane731
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Your side mirrors are basically a reflective sticker on a piece of plastic (more or less). Be careful using an abrasive because they can and do scratch easily. I would use Poorboy's World SSR1 with a foam applicator and then remove with a soft microfiber. You can then seal your side mirrors with a glass sealant if you so desire.

BatonRougeMX5
02-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the ideas and insight.