PDA

View Full Version : "Reputation Management" - Chem Guys

Pages : [1] 2 3

t5er
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm sure you've heard the term Reputation Management, that feelgood business buzzword for pumping 5 star reviews online.

I was checking out a popular A to Z retailer for reviews of Chemical Guys Jetseal and noticed that as of Dec 2012 this product had 9 reviews over an 18 month period giving the product an average score of under 3.5 stars.

Then in the first week of January six more customers all submitted 5 star reviews of the product bumping the average score up to over 4 stars.

The interesting thing is, if you look at the review history of all those 6 people you'll notice that they have often reviewed only one product on the whole of that supersite.

Be careful what you read out there. Some pretty shady tactics now a days.

Shane731
02-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Chemical Guys is terrible at over-hyping every single one of their products, as though everything they make is liquid gold. I don't think they allow any negative reviews on their website either. Don't get me wrong, I think Chemical Guys has some very nice products, but their marketing is quite shady.

ihaveacamaro
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Good resellers will allow any kind of HONEST review. Chemical Guys is extremely shady! Trust their soaps though, I vouch for those.

You will see that Amazon has been fighting fake reviews with the "Amazon Verified Purchase under the name of the reviewer"

Autogeek will allow any rating on their products, which I love. Some products have 0 stars. You won't see that on other sites that sell their stuff :)

RZJZA80
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
There are shady practices all over the place, that's why I never listen or take the advice of anyone that's being paid to give it, I'll refer to the average Joe who has nothing to gain and is more likely to be honest.

BTW, who owns Chemical Guys now? I read somewhere that the previous owner is the current owner of 3D.

BrutalNoodle
02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
I tend to suspect 'rave reviews', that's why I always research on specific product(s) of interest. Online communities [like AG] are excellent deterrents against BS marketing.

AudiFL
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I tend to suspect 'rave reviews', that's why I always research on specific product(s) of interest. Online communities [like AG] are excellent deterrents against BS marketing.
:iagree:

silverfox
02-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I usually buy only when I have researched a product in so far as the end user who does not have a financially vested interest in that product.

Shortspark
02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
To get honest, hands-on reviews is the main reason I come to this site and forum (just look at guys like Mark and Bobby G have contributed for example). I may not agree once I get the product and try it myself but at least the reviews were honest. BTW, I don't know about CGs other products (except their microfiber cleaner which is only average) but I really like their Clear wash shampoo.

HellaBroke
02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Good resellers will allow any kind of HONEST review. Chemical Guys is extremely shady! Trust their soaps though, I vouch for those.
:)
True story.... I literally just emailed one of there employees about silk shine giving me issues and between a few emails we determined the issues could be an odd bottle and they would swap it. But overall confidence in the knowledge of the product and customer service seemed very odd/off.... I think ill be keeping with there soaps and dropping the rest....

PiPUK
02-15-2013, 02:47 PM
caveat emptor

Sadly one must be very cautious these days. Some companies spend huge sums on marketing average products which then get much more press than superb products which have limited marketing. As per the OP, even more worrying is how much manipulation exists. Of course bad reviews will be suppressed and good ones encouraged. Making no reference to Chemical Guys, I know that in some instances positive press is in fact rewarded and there will be some detailers out there who are very keen on certain brands and will never actually have to pay for the products. It is a big bad world out there and you do have to take internet comments with a pinch of salt.

swanicyouth
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Hey, I don't believe those reviews are fake. I'm sure the people that work for CGs love Jetseal.

KneeDragr
02-15-2013, 03:22 PM
There are online companies you can hire to boost your 'ratings' all over the internet. they go around spamming all the review sites and forums giving rave reviews. I read about one guy who makes like 500k a year doing it.

CM8 6MT
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
LoL @ Chemical Guys

spiralout462
02-15-2013, 04:39 PM
There are online companies you can hire to boost your 'ratings' all over the internet. they go around spamming all the review sites and forums giving rave reviews. I read about one guy who makes like 500k a year doing it.

There has been an ad running on Sirius/XM radio as of late. I forgot the name of the Company but thats exactly what they were selling. "Reputation protection"

HellaBroke
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Hey, I don't believe those reviews are fake. I'm sure the people that work for CGs love Jetseal.

Hahahaha comment of the day.