PDA

View Full Version : How to clean this interior black plastic scratches?

bravomanaok
02-14-2013, 10:34 PM
The marks you're looking at are on hard black plastic. They appear to be very superficial, but annoying because they appear off white color. Anyway I can remove those?

Fishincricket
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Good question!!

cardaddy
02-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Dunno about that one. Maybe some APC scrub or rubber & vinyl cleaner followed by trim detailer or 303?

AutowerxDetailing
02-15-2013, 02:11 AM
I have never done any type of extensive leather or plastic repair but I have looked into the process as I am considering adding leather/vinyl repair as a service.

Bottom line. If it is just on the steering wheel it would probably be cheaper/easier to just replace the damaged part as opposed to buying all the necessary tools/chemicals needed to repair it. If you were doing more than one vehicle the cost equation would make much more sense...

Even so, from what I understand, it is possible to achieve an absolutely perfect repair with an OEM look and finish. The steps would be similar to this:

1: Strip surface of any dressings or silicone.
2: Fill defect with a special plastic filler and sand until level.
3: Create a copy of the texture pattern from another part of the surface using special compounds, hardeners & texture pads.
4: Apply texture coating.
5: Imprint the copied texture that you just created.
6: Heat with a blow dryer to fully/quickly cure the repaired area.
7: Dye the area with a color-matched dye.
8: Seal the repaired area.

On the other hand you could always just throw some DLUX on there and call it good. :props:

bravomanaok
02-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Holy crap. I think those are nail scratches on the steering wheel. I was hoping that it would a simple take this cleaner and buff type of deal. I think I'll just try a black marker and 303.

Mazda.Mark
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Mazda3 or Mazda6?

I had a M6 and now CX7 and the interior is a PITA!

Good luck on the project.

Ipsdrew
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
You can try using a Magic Eraser dipped in a trim restorer of your choice. Lightly go over the entire part. You won't necessarily remove the scratches but it will help the trim restorer penetrate and make the marks a little less obvious.

BryanH
02-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Careful with a black marker. It's likely a lot darker than the "black" plastic trim which is really a dark gray.